ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #181
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebot View Post
I have these damn cracks on almost every CB350 float bowl overflow tube I have (six at last count)
six cb350's or six float bowls?

did you find a way to repair them? I bought used carbs off ebay that didn't have cracked tubes (yet) but I was thinking a simple solution could be heat shrink tubing for for electrical work.. I'm not sure how well it would stand up to gasoline and ethanol though. It would be a super easy fix if the material was fuel resistant.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #182
cheesebot
I cheesebot

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
six cb350's or six float bowls?

did you find a way to repair them? I bought used carbs off ebay that didn't have cracked tubes (yet) but I was thinking a simple solution could be heat shrink tubing for for electrical work.. I'm not sure how well it would stand up to gasoline and ethanol though. It would be a super easy fix if the material was fuel resistant.
Six bowls, three bikes. I recall trying some 2-part jb weld on one of the tubes and it held up as far as I can remember. The heat shrink or a thin rubber hose might be a good idea too.
cheesebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #183
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
I repaired the cracks using soldering iron... but you got to clean the tubes.

This tube is not leaking, already checked, it holds fuel in the carb once you shut the tap off, bit it literally overflows once the fuel is on, thought level was too high but it's not. I can press the float in by hand and it still leaks when I bench test it, just can't tell if its past the needle or around the whole assembly.
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #184
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I repaired the cracks using soldering iron... but you got to clean the tubes.

This tube is not leaking, already checked, it holds fuel in the carb once you shut the tap off, bit it literally overflows once the fuel is on, thought level was too high but it's not. I can press the float in by hand and it still leaks when I bench test it, just can't tell if its past the needle or around the whole assembly.
My DR650 has twice since owning it (7 yrs) needed the float assy o-rings replaced. Ethanol is the culprit I believe.

I immediately thought of shrink tubing as a repair for those overflow tubes also.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #185
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I rarely have issues with batteries, this one however is not my bike... so I ordered an AGM, cheap and should get the job done

still need to get carb sorted out, it leaks gas, even on the bench when I hook it up to remote tank, opened it 3 times now but float, needle and seat appear to be fine.... one suspect is the rubber o-ring on the needle set is to blame, looks dried up, can't find anything else,...

It could be the outer o-ring as well. I have an extra if you want it. I'll be coming up that way Sunday if you want to meet me. If you need it sooner, you can come get it. The only other thing you can do there is clean the needle's rubber tip or replace the needle. I MAY have a spare needle too, not sure on that though.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #186
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Was thinking that o-ring is the culprit, seat assy just fell out once I removed the screw.

I can wait till Sunday, no rush, this bike is for Pachaug/Freetown only :)
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #187
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Most better hardware stores have O rings

or when all else fails

www.mcmaster.com

Also sometimes float brackets get warped and the float rubs on the side of the bowl

The brass tube use solder
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #188
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromper View Post
Most better hardware stores have O rings
I have 2 different o-ring variety boxes, they are all too thick.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #189
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
Latest Alaska Big Wheel video.. watch them all if you havent.. very funny.. this one is actually the worst so far IMHO

Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #190
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

I want this little bike

Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #191
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Is anyone riding tomorrow?
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #192
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
Is anyone riding tomorrow?
I wish I had the time for a real ride tomorrow. It should be a ridiculously nice day for mid-January! I may go for a quick non-technical ride during the day but it won't be a trail ride and will probably only be about 20 minutes or so.. I have way too much to do tomorrow but it'll be too nice out to not sneak in a little seat time..

I'm glad to see you're looking to ride though. The knee must be feeling pretty good now.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #193
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
I wish I had the time for a real ride tomorrow. It should be a ridiculously nice day for mid-January! I may go for a quick non-technical ride during the day but it won't be a trail ride and will probably only be about 20 minutes or so.. I have way too much to do tomorrow but it'll be too nice out to not sneak in a little seat time..

I'm glad to see you're looking to ride though. The knee must be feeling pretty good now.
I've been looking to ride sense I broke it.yes its probably about 90% back to normal. I'm thinking I will be back to work soon.
I guess we may take ride up the street from here. I got lots to do before I go back to work too.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #194
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

isn't there some paved ride in Newport?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #195
Richklr650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
im riding today with my daughter but going to be up around mass. conn. hitting the vanilla bean in pomfort conn. thinking noonish
Richklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote