ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #72781
opium89
Beastly Adventurer
 
opium89's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hutto, Texas
Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Float height misadjustments, clogs and parts wear aside, that would point to the pilot jet. Does the problem improve or get worse when the cold start enrichment circuit is activated? How about as the engine warms up?How deep are the indentations in the corners of the slide guide, concentric to the bore, adjacent to where the slide bottoms?

Regards,

Derek
I know the float's correct. I didn't try the choke last round of testing, but I can certainly warm it up again and see what happens. Didn't notice any visual wear on any of the internal parts, but I will get some high resolution photos of the inside of this thing next time I take it apart. It might help you to see what I am seeing...

Thanks!
__________________
Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.
opium89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #72782
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,477
So, I have an '02 with a seized front calliper, a slight oil leak at the cylinder top and the itch to buy a brand spanking NEW one! Looks like Suzuki has made no changes to this wonderful machine for yet another year? Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so. It's a bike I will have forever. They're just so damn simple!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #72783
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
So, I have an '02 with a seized front calliper, a slight oil leak at the cylinder top and the itch to buy a brand spanking NEW one! Looks like Suzuki has made no changes to this wonderful machine for yet another year? Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so. It's a bike I will have forever. They're just so damn simple!
Lyle
"Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so."

huh?

i can't think of a single reason for you to buy a new one! imagine how nice you could make yours if you took only half the money a new one costs and used it to trick yours out...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #72784
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
So, I have an '02 with a seized front calliper, a slight oil leak at the cylinder top and the itch to buy a brand spanking NEW one! Looks like Suzuki has made no changes to this wonderful machine for yet another year? Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so. It's a bike I will have forever. They're just so damn simple!
Lyle
My DR's brake fluid is starting to look dirty - thanks for reminding me that it's time to flush the brakes with clean fluid.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #72785
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
... Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so. It's a bike I will have forever. They're just so damn simple!
Lyle
No reason. Go get 'em before they're gone!!!
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #72786
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
"Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so."

huh?

i can't think of a single reason for you to buy a new one! imagine how nice you could make yours if you took only half the money a new one costs and used it to trick yours out...

doug s.
Like Happy Trails panniers, big gas tank, a shock upgrade, new gasket kit and use the left over cash for a really nice trip to AK or Mexico? Mine only has 8K on the odometer. This has crossed my mind.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #72787
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post
GPR question

I just revived a V1 GPR from E bay

They don't make a mount for my DR 650, it looks like the pivot arm should be centered on the triple clamp stem.
I know it centers left and right but when centered fro and aft it doesn't leave a lot of room for the fixed arm to clear.
The only thing I could find at GPR says the fixed pin should be in the middle of the slot not at the end.
Any help would be great, I am going to need to drill and tap the top of my bar mounts and will only get one chance to get it correct
.

Anyone got any thoughts of wisdom that might help?

Thanks Jeff
The fixed pin only needs to be in the middle of the arm if the arm pivot point is not centered over the steerer tube.

If it is perfectly centered, then the post and arm should be completely static in relation to one another from lock to lock on the bars.

The GPR V2 on my TT350 is mounted way forward as otherwise the post would be several cm inside the fuel tank.

Not ideal, but it works.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #72788
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Murillo & Pass Lake, Ontario
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
So, I have an '02 with a seized front calliper, a slight oil leak at the cylinder top and the itch to buy a brand spanking NEW one! Looks like Suzuki has made no changes to this wonderful machine for yet another year? Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so. It's a bike I will have forever. They're just so damn simple!
Lyle
Hi Lyle,

J&J Sports were recently advertising a new 2012 leftover for $5699. On the other hand, yours is fairly low mieage, caliper kits are cheap, and my '04 with 85K is running fine in spite of considerable winter use in NWO. So yours should have many more years of use & abuse to come.

Steve
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #72789
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play View Post
Hi Lyle,

J&J Sports were recently advertising a new 2012 leftover for $5699. On the other hand, yours is fairly low mieage, caliper kits are cheap, and my '04 with 85K is running fine in spite of considerable winter use in NWO. So yours should have many more years of use & abuse to come.

Steve
Hey Steve.....hope all is well....I'm having a HARD winter.....see ya when the snow melts!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #72790
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround
 
SingleTrackJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Pensacola, Fl.
Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The fixed pin only needs to be in the middle of the arm if the arm pivot point is not centered over the steerer tube.

If it is perfectly centered, then the post and arm should be completely static in relation to one another from lock to lock on the bars.

The GPR V2 on my TT350 is mounted way forward as otherwise the post would be several cm inside the fuel tank.

Not ideal, but it works.
Thanks looks like I can get it centered really close, and will check the pic location from lock to lock before final weld.
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #72791
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Georgetown, In / Costa Rica
Oddometer: 621
I would like to see everyone that likes the DR650 to go buy a new one this year. That would inspire Suzuki to keep making and importing them. I HAD TO BUY A USED ONE LAST YEAR BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS IN MY AREA WOULD STOCK THEM, and Suzuki was out of stock by late spring when I was ready to buy since they are not a high volume seeling model.

TravelGuy


Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
"Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so."

huh?

i can't think of a single reason for you to buy a new one! imagine how nice you could make yours if you took only half the money a new one costs and used it to trick yours out...

doug s.
__________________
TRAVELGUY
DL1000 '05 black
DL 650 '06 Red
DR650 '07
.
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #72792
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I would like to see everyone that likes the DR650 to go buy a new one this year. That would inspire Suzuki to keep making and importing them. I HAD TO BUY A USED ONE LAST YEAR BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS IN MY AREA WOULD STOCK THEM, and Suzuki was out of stock by late spring when I was ready to buy since they are not a high volume seeling model.

TravelGuy
Suzuki would have to give me some serious motivation to buy a brand new one. If they made something that competed with the BMW Serato with FI, more body protection, and better highway manners, I might be tempted to buy another one.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #72793
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,477
Is Suzuki planning to stop bringing them over? WHY? You say they sold out. What more can we do? Stupid North Americans and their addiction to cruiser style bikes? Fuck, even H-D stopped building REAL motorcycles!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #72794
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Suzuki would have to give me some serious motivation to buy a brand new one. If they made something that competed with the BMW Serato with FI, more body protection, and better highway manners, I might be tempted to buy another one.
The beauty of the DR650 is that it's so SIMPLE. I don't want fuel injection or ANYTHING complicating it. If you want something fancier like that BMW, then by all means get one. I'll pass. I had been considering that new Husky Terra TR650 but then decided no, the DR650 is pretty much perfect as it is. It's an almost empty canvas that you can customize to your liking, and take it anywhere in the world without fear of issues. And if you DO happen to have an issue, repairs are darn simple.

I still want a Tiger 800XC... BUT.. realistically, if I did some of the trips I want to do, like South America or Siberia or something, I'd still take the DR650 for its simplicity and lower weight. So I probably won't even get a Tiger anytime soon.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #72795
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,761
When I bought my DR650 I had told the dealer I'd be there on Saturday (I worked 10 hour days and couldn't get to the closest dealer before they closed). This was the Monday before buying. I emailed again on Thursday to confirm the it would be prepped before pick up. It was sold (he sold it out from under me after GUARANTEEING THE DEAL via email). I then tried to buy another one and was told no problem as long as I got there before the LIST of people that wanted calls ASAP when one came in (remember, we had an actual written, via email contract for purchase).

I then found a dealer that "should" get one, but only after having a deposit where the rep would allocate one to his dealership and then we'd wait for it to arrive. I waited a couple weeks for it to arrive and bought it sight unseen. In Oregon they sell before they are received. Dealers tend to get hundreds over invoice on new ones.

After going through no less than three tries to get a new bike I have to think Suzuki knows they will sell ever single one they build (at least in the PNW). BTW, trying to buy used...yeah, tried that first with even worse results. Try driving 300 miles to find out someone beat you by an hour.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014