Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #211
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
I am the aforementioned wife...still lusting...getting a little closer to pulling the trigger.
Everything I've read says that this is NOT a bike for and significant street riding mostly because of the narrow ratio transmission . Which is fine...eyes wide open on that front. I am curious about it otherwise. I'm not super experienced rider, but I'd like to get better. Will I be completely overwhelmed by this bike? Or will I be able to manage it as an advanced beginner? Anybody with seat time on one of these care to share their thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi,
I have one and it is an enduro bike with plates. Mine came with a 40 tooth rear sprocket which was useless for off road and I still felt the bike was screaming at 50 mph.
I have changed to a 52 tooth rear and it is much better off road and will cruise at 45 or so on the road, still higher rpm than I care for. Mine is stock and form an idle to maybe 1/4 throttle it doesn't have much power, so if you are going to try to ride trails very slowly you're going to be doing a lot of clutch slipping.
All that said I think it's a great bike.

I see you are in MA, you are more than welcome to come try mine if you like.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #212
Liza
Dirty Girl

Oddometer: 216
Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #213
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Getting off a DR350, the TE will feel like a motorized bicycle on steroids. It is about 45 lbs. lighter than the DR, has worlds better suspension, you'll like it.
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #214
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
The suspension is x100 smoother than the DR, the weight is x10 better.

The power comes on really high in the rpms and will be A LOT different than the DR. And will it much more snappy and hit harder. Granted I had a 310, but the dr350 is a underpowered, dual sporting around the world pig and the TE is a nitrous, blown, enduro, euro sex machine

Very different rides. The Husky wants to GO! That's where it shines.

I had a 50 tooth on the rear and could ease the woods and cruise at 50mph for about 20-30min, but farther than that, it was in the back of the truck. It's only a "DS" because of the tag.

::::: if someone within a few hours is offering a ride on one, TAKE IT!
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #215
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky View Post
Getting off a DR350, the TE will feel like a motorized bicycle on steroids. It is about 45 lbs. lighter than the DR, has worlds better suspension, you'll like it.
Ha! I got off a 990 KTM and onto the Husky, it really DID feel like a mountain bike! And compared with the DR350 that I owned on the late 90's it's a world away, the suspension is superb and the engine pulls stupendously, the seat isn't too awful either!

I only sold mine because work, family and a crumbling home took too much time. I loved it, big grins every time I rode and fellow riders telling me how gorgeous the bike was!

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #216
Liza
Dirty Girl

Oddometer: 216
I couldn't stand it! Pulled the trigger
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #217
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
I couldn't stand it! Pulled the trigger
Yummy!

Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #218
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
power up, then chop that rear fender, otherwise the trail will do it for you (don't ask me how i know ).
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #219
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg View Post
power up, then chop that rear fender, otherwise the trail will do it for you (don't ask me how i know ).
Hey man, you're close...we need to hook up and ride
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #220
jxg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Hey man, you're close...we need to hook up and ride
Definetly. Do you guys ride Pachaug every? Also, do you know of anywhere in between us (i have no issues heading over the bridges)?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #221
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxg View Post
Definetly. Do you guys ride Pachaug every? Also, do you know of anywhere in between us (i have no issues heading over the bridges)?
I ride Pachaug maybe once a year...but I have so much great riding out here, I don't usually bring my bike out there.

I don't know of any riding between us...you on the island?

PM me if you like
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #222
TigeroL
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Changed oil to my TE250 couple days ago, and i was suprised with the little amount of oil that came out of it; only about 7 and half dl from the plug and main filter (i didn't tilt it too much tho).

But the scariest thing is that i added about 4 dl's of oil one ride session before the change because the oil was way below the oil window bottom edge and thaught it might be safer to add some. The guys at the shop said that you should put 9dl in there which is understandable because it is a racing model but like i said i had added some more and yet less than what they had put in the shop came out.

Am i just freaking out and there was oil on other places like pump and head etc. or is it really consuming that much oil?
TigeroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #223
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeroL View Post
Changed oil to my TE250 couple days ago, and i was suprised with the little amount of oil that came out of it; only about 7 and half dl from the plug and main filter (i didn't tilt it too much tho).

But the scariest thing is that i added about 4 dl's of oil one ride session before the change because the oil was way below the oil window bottom edge and thaught it might be safer to add some. The guys at the shop said that you should put 9dl in there which is understandable because it is a racing model but like i said i had added some more and yet less than what they had put in the shop came out.

Am i just freaking out and there was oil on other places like pump and head etc. or is it really consuming that much oil?
you are fine. just make sure its halfway full in the glass
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #224
TigeroL
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
you are fine. just make sure its halfway full in the glass
But the thing is it was quite a way from the bottom of the glass before the small fill-up and that sort of freaked me out. But i have also read that these things are not That picky about oil level, and a bit less would be even better. I did notice a slight smoke and not-so sensitive throttle response after changing ad filling by the glass.

Maybe this specimen want's a bit less, it is a cold-blooded beast almost straight from the Enduro world championships Husky team. (It's used once by Mikko Seistola in some kind of 'show' and then moved to private use of the shop.) Doesn't have a real performance exhaust tho, but a fully deristricted Husky one. (Brag )
TigeroL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #225
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Did about 30 miles of single track today, I did get a workout The snow wasn't too bad but lots of places with ice covered rocks, made an interesting day.

1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote