User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #31
Learn2turn
WORK AND PLAY DUALSPORTER

Oddometer: 720
I found one and read up on 'em.
Now I'm SCARED AS HELL about the crank and piston cost!
PLEASE HELP guys...

How are these bikes holding up for you? Any bottom end issues?
Any easy way to quell my trepidation without pulling the engine apart?
I'm guessing no and I don't want a $1700 paperwieght surprise.
Thanx a ton fella's.
Learn2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #32
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Worst case won't cost $1700. A crank can be rebuilt for $300 plus a rod kit last i checked. Mains aren't that much just more than aftermarket. Wiesco piston is about the same as any two piston bike. Check Munn Racings web site for actual cost.

Used engines still pop up. $700ish is typical.

It's a '99 dirt bike. Some risk is expected.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #33
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Re spooge, that mostly has to do with how the bike is ridden. If its ridden slowly it'll spooge, as will most any competition oriented two stroke - they just don't get hot enough (EGT's not coolant temps) to really burn very cleanly at low power settings. Ride as it was meant to be ridden and there'll be no spooge.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,815
Bump.

So where can I find info on this bike? I have the engine manual but can't seem to find it for the suspension. Just need to know what type of oil and height for the forks.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,386
I found one for $1900 a 2002 but it's 3hrs away. If I bring a compression tester what's a good reading? (Ball park)

Crank issues make me nervous but until you rebuild the top end there's not really anyway to tell. The bike looks clean in pics, but I've seen some dirtbikes look good in pics only to see 'em in person and they looked like they were thrown off a cliff then drug behind a truck for miles.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
Trailrider58
Oldnlazy

Oddometer: 33
Know this thread is about dead, but just found it and wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm pre-apologizing for the rambling, but will address things as they come to mind. I have the 1998 380SX model. In short, it's the most fun bike I've ever been on - and I have ridden a CR500 briefly. Yes, it spits spooge all down the pipe, and I still have some jetting or carb issues that need to be worked out. It most likely could use a carb rebuild, but then again sometimes it runs perfectly depending on outdoor temps and the fuel/oil mix. So I will mess around some more with the pre-mix ratio before tearing into the carb.

Modifications are an FMF silencer with spark arrestor (previous owner looped it out one too many times and broke the rear fender and muffler off it), and the center stand for the EX model. I'm still running the original jetting, but did move the clip position to the recommended slot based on FMF's website for this bike and silencer. Initially that worked wonders - thank you FMF.

I am a mid-50s mostly trail and adventure rider, 5'9" with a bad back, and could not start it without standing on a MX bike stand. The compression is impressive, and this center stand was the best $100 bike mod I've ever spent. Just ease the kicker past the piston's to dead center and then give it a big ol' whomp. When cold it starts in 4-6 kicks, and when warm in 1-2 kicks. Be careful; before I learned the starting technique, I tore the sole on a tennis shoe and a hiking boot. The kickback can sprain one's knee; so learn this starting routine and all is OK.

At any given MX track, I am probably the slowest adult rider present that day. But, I am probably aboard one of the fastest bike at this same time. Cannot tell you how many times modern 450s have blown over my head on the jumps (remember I'm old), but then I was able to catch them again down the long straigtaway. Nothing wrong with the 380, just its rider is so far past his prime that he cannot remember what the word "prime" means.

Mechanical issues to date have been a worn out water pump seal, and broken teeth off the clutch hub back and the related gears. Replacement parts were ordered from KTM World's website. They offer good service and advice, and much better pricing than my local KTM shops. I have had zero problems buying replacement parts for this 14 year old bike from them. Sometimes it took nearly two weeks for the various parts to arrive from Austria, but for the price savings I'm OK with this.

Roll on wheelies are common in 4th gear. I have occassionally hit a roll-on even in 5th with no clutch help at all. Nail it in 1st gear, and she is coming over on top of you in a heartbeat. 2nd is also dangerous. In 3rd gear, if you are anywhere near the power band the front end will be pointing to the sky when you turn the wrist. It has light switch power and is just incredible fun. My son once derided my MX skills by saying, "all you ever do is throw a dirt roost and pull wheelies".

I will close by badly plagarizing someone else's comment about the 380SX version. He said "It is in enigma. On any given track day, you will lay down both your fastest lap time and your slowest lap. You will turn in ever decreasing times until you do something on the bike that absolutely scares the crap out of you. Then you will turn in your slowest lap time while getting over the jitters."

As I age and my MX track days are coming to a close, I am considering turning it into a supermotard bike. Not sure how feasible it is, but it makes for a heck of an idea. Hope someone enjoyed this rant. If you find one and have the chump change to do so, BUY IT! If you've ridden one, you understand. If you haven't, I can't explain it.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #37
mugget
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good info in this thread! I have bought a 1998 model 380 so I'm keen to start learning more about the bike myself. Don't have it in my garage yet, taking a little 48hr return drive next week to pick it up... the things you do for a little 2T buzz, eh?

Trailrider58 - very nice writeup!
Interesting that you mention supermoto... I sure hope it is feasible, because that is exactly what I am going to do! I haven't made any posts about that here, but I most likely will put up a build thread on SupermotoJunkie and KTMtalk (in addition to the discussion that's already underway on my local supermoto forum). Your description sure sounds promising, the 380 should provide just the 2T hit that I want!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #38
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Bump, I picked one up for 1500. I needed a smaller bike, so I grabbed this one with a big bore kit. I think it's a 410 or something like that. Has a gnarly pipe, billet triple, bigger tank, and worked over suspension. This thing is sketchy fast, have to watch it, wheelies in first four. I friggin love it, takes all the stress out of riding. Oh, it was replacing a 950.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #39
Trailrider58
Oldnlazy

Oddometer: 33
Thumb

Haven't been to this blog in awhile. 410cc - sounds even way cooler than the stocker. I just finished replacing the crank seals (both sides) on mine. Seems all is fine now. Wasn't too hard to do, and wasn't that expensive to do.

Last time at the MX track, the bike started revving to the moon even with no throttle. Read reports where that is a sure sign of air getting sucked into the left side (stator side seal). Went on and changed out the right side seal on the clutch side too. Thought it was smoking more than it should even though I had recently gone back to 50/1 mix ratio as the owner manual says.

So far, 3-4 different days of just running it up and down the street seem to have it cured. Won't know until I can get it out for several hard hours at the trails or track.

Still love these old bikes. 4th gear roll on wheelies trip my trigger every time.