Did you close any vents in the rain?
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
Wallaby_Ted
You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby_Ted View Post
Had the same problem. For me it was generated at the back of the peak (or tailing edge). I stuck a bit of foam (about 2-3mm thick) on the underside of the peak at the back to disturb the airflow and that has worked. When I get a chance I'll post a pic.
Did you try this yet? Here's a photo of what i have done.

www.checkingtheboundaryfence.com - The upside, down-under tour of Australia. August to September 2009
Wallaby_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
Scotty4x4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby_Ted View Post
Did you try this yet? Here's a photo of what i have done.

i will try that next. thanks for the photo!

no all the vents were still open the same.. it was only drizzeling...
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
JD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Did a few hundred K's today with a bit of foam stuck up under the visor like has been suggested.

All vents wide open, not exactly a quiet helmet but no whistling.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #35
BoundaryRider
ApprenticeAdventurer

Oddometer: 24
I've had similar problems with the same helmet,until I changed the screen with an extra 8cm in height that fixed it. Ride a different bike first just in case you've got a lemon.
BoundaryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #36
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,833
what are these buckets worth?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #37
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
what are these buckets worth?

More than a poor dairy farmer can afford, anyway it whistles and you wouldn,t like that.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
TigerNoir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
$700-$800 Phil.
TigerNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #39
xrxtz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Mine works very well. Much better than my old Zeus. (bloody well want to at $799 v $250 or so. Very comfortable even in the south with a balaclava etc. About 7000 ks now 3000 road and the rest dirt, tracks etc dirt. Yeah there all right. Speakers from Zumo/ipod/uhf etc work ok as well. They are very good in the rain as well.
xrxtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
Chipper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Whistle update?

Any new items here? I just got new KTM hardparts xd4 and it whistles! For what cost that's crazy. Gonna try the foam tape since that's exactly where coming from, visor to helmet gap. But it is beautiful!
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #41
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
my 150 dollar fly trekker doesnt whistle
Well for that price you're not gonna get free whistles are you

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #42
mantel34
n00b

Oddometer: 6
First, thanks to the OP for starting this thread.. I've yet to see anyone else bring this up.. thought it was just me having this problem. Also.. love the sense of humor with this crowd.

I suspect I've got the same noise problem with my XD4... very frustrating after spending so much money on an otherwise great helmet.

My two cents:

The noise can be described as a low frequency "base" sound, much like riding in a car with the windows half way down.. really hurts the ears. For me.. it's not the high pitched sound typical with wind noise in helmets. Ear plugs have zero effect reducing the noise because of that.

Not all helmets with a "peak" make "that" noise. When shopping for a new helmet, I test rode my buddies Shoei and it did not make the same kind of noise. I only went for the Arai because the peak was adjustable (sort of)...

The noise has nothing to do with the vents or the shield being open or closed. The noise will completely disappear if you lightly pinch the front of the peak between your fingers... it's like the peak starts vibrating around 40mph and that translates to the deafening sound in the helmet.. and, that's while wearing earplugs. Somehow.. lightly pinching (and I mean very lightly) the peak between the fingers eliminates the harmonic/vibration.

Like others, I partially solved the issue by adding duct tape (hey.. it can fix anything!) to secure the trailing edge of the peak to the helmet.. but like I said.. it's a 50% solution and just plan pisses me off having to put duct tape on a very expensive helmet. I'm motivated to continue testing though to figure it out.

Hoping someone else has figured it out?
mantel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #43
Colonial Mick
Nettle Licker

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantel34 View Post
First, thanks to the OP for starting this thread.. I've yet to see anyone else bring this up.. thought it was just me having this problem. Also.. love the sense of humor with this crowd.

I suspect I've got the same noise problem with my XD4... very frustrating after spending so much money on an otherwise great helmet.

My two cents:

The noise can be described as a low frequency "base" sound, much like riding in a car with the windows half way down.. really hurts the ears. For me.. it's not the high pitched sound typical with wind noise in helmets. Ear plugs have zero effect reducing the noise because of that.

Not all helmets with a "peak" make "that" noise. When shopping for a new helmet, I test rode my buddies Shoei and it did not make the same kind of noise. I only went for the Arai because the peak was adjustable (sort of)...

The noise has nothing to do with the vents or the shield being open or closed. The noise will completely disappear if you lightly pinch the front of the peak between your fingers... it's like the peak starts vibrating around 40mph and that translates to the deafening sound in the helmet.. and, that's while wearing earplugs. Somehow.. lightly pinching (and I mean very lightly) the peak between the fingers eliminates the harmonic/vibration.

Like others, I partially solved the issue by adding duct tape (hey.. it can fix anything!) to secure the trailing edge of the peak to the helmet.. but like I said.. it's a 50% solution and just plan pisses me off having to put duct tape on a very expensive helmet. I'm motivated to continue testing though to figure it out.

Hoping someone else has figured it out?
Just a shot in the dark but what if you put a small weight under the peak like a sinker ? Bars have weights to stop the vibration.
.. -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. - --. .. ...- . .- ..-. .- - .-. .- - ... - .. -
Colonial Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #44
mantel34
n00b

Oddometer: 6
good call... I actually tried that yesterday with no success, it didn't have any effect reducing the noise. Maybe I need to try again?

What I tried was epoxy bonding a 100mm long x 3mm diameter rod of stainless steel formed to fit in the underside of the peak. The rod was placed in the mid section of the peak from oriented from side to side (need to learn how to post pics!). I'll try something bonded fore and aft on each side of the peak later today.

For testing.. I ride on a normal paved road, and once the helmet starts howling (around 40mph)... I reach up and start pushing and prodding the peak to see what works to reduce the noise while being as careful as possible not to change the airflow. I would have thought that pushing on the peak's mounting points would have helped reduce the noise, but it didn't.

Still curious why so few people report this. I live in Southern California (USA) and haven't found anyone else besides this post with the same issue? I ride a Vstrom 1000 and a GS1200 and the noise is the same. Like I mentioned, I tried my buddies Shoei helmet (same style helmet with peak) and it only made normal wind noises when ridden on the same bikes.
mantel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #45
DS Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I just came across this thread, My XD4 doesnt whistle but it DID vibrate and hum so bad it blurred my vision. I tried a few things but what fixed it was stiffening the peak. I ended up cutting a piece of wire - probably just coat hanger would do, and shaped it to fit underneath the peak in a U shape. I glued it on with superglue (used araldite first but it wont stick to PE plastic) and viola, totally stopped it. Its a bit hard to see now cause i painted it black but i'll try to take a photo if you want. Cheers, DS
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote