Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #4426
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I posted this over at ktmtalk. I was sent it by Trailtech a couple of weeks ago. I'll post it here in case anyone ever needs the info (for knowing when it's safest rpm wise to run accessories). I received it as 'KTM stator test 12182009.pdf' but it's easier to host it as a JPG. The tests I've run on my 07 450 seem to confirm the values but if you have questions about it, you should ask Trailtech.
Are those results for a straight stator swap or do they also include an upgraded rotor/flywheel?

Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #4427
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Are those results for a straight stator swap or do they also include an upgraded rotor/flywheel?

Dave
I believe just the stator but I cannot be sure.

It's probably fair to say that the claims of +8 to +10W at idle for their flywheel should be treated with some sceptism. Perhaps +10% which would be +4.5W to +5W @idle. For a while +10W @idle = +10% @idle, I'll leave figuring this out as an exercise for the reader
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #4428
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
I was going to buy a 950 adv but after talking long and hard with a mate of mine that had done this type of riding for years I went against it. He maintained lighter smaller bikes where where it's at for adventure riding. I've just bought a KTM 640 adv that is weight reduced because of this.

He himself rides a KTM 690 enduro rally raid.

I know nothing as of yet about my 640 but will by the end of the summer. But according to him their a very reliable bike. He's had 2. He has 1 now.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #4429
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
quiver weapons

That 640 is a great bike congrats. If baja is your land of Shangra La don't think you can pick a better adventure travel rig. Lot's you can do with that one. This particular thread is about the smaller RFS bikes as an adventure bike. Adventure riding is very personal. Some guys are iron butts dirt roads and haciendas. Others are about double track and some single track .
One thing about the RFS is it is a great motor design and bomber. The bike itself is fairly light for adventure riding(of course you need to define your style of adventure riding). The ruff thing about the RFS is the oil change interval compared to an LC4 (your 640) or an LC8 (a 950) for long distance adventuring.
If your riding long doubletrack days IMO the 640 is one of the best bangs for the buck. Great bike easy to work on. On long slab the vibration of that thumper can be debilitating. Plus that stock tank gives great mileage, better than a 950 or 525. If you need a bike that is comfortable doing that but also dez singletrack then the RFS in a 450 525 or 540 is the ticket. Only bummer with the RFS IMO as an adventure rig is the oil service intervals required because of the tight tolerances in the engine. Fuel capacity mods are an easy fix. Oil is a trickier subject.
I feel the next great class is the adventure 700. When we get a 700 vtwin (less vibration) in a lightweight package thats gonna be the ticket IMO fo radventure. I just hope they dont put EFI on it. Nothing like a carb for adventure travel. Till then we all are here modding our RFS to handle the torture of long days adventuring in the dez.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #4430
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Questions...

I probably should have looked first but... I am doing my water pump seal AGAIN and I was looking at thumper racing and they make a larger impeller, is it worth it? Also is anyone running non motorex oil in their RFS?
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #4431
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Oddometer: 90
I run the mino water pump that Thumper Racing offers in my 613 EXC and two other small bore KTMs and they work great.

I also run Two2cool oil in all of my bikes and have been for years. No issues! Bikes run cool and no adverse signs of wear.
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #4432
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,946
I am looking at a 03 525 exc and an 04 525 exc they as reliable as say an 07?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #4433
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
I am looking at a 03 525 exc and an 04 525 exc they as reliable as say an 07?
More or less, I own and 07 and have ridden an 03 450 and 06 450 and they have all been solid bikes!!!
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #4434
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,309
what KTM parts site do you guys prefer?

i live in California FYI.

i just ordered from Cycle Hutt and it seems that it's going to take them over 1 week to get basic maintenance parts ie; brake pads and Twin Air filter.

i've used Mike's Cycle Supply and KTM World and was happy with them.

RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #4435
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
what KTM parts site do you guys prefer?

i live in California FYI.

i just ordered from Cycle Hutt and it seems that it's going to take them over 1 week to get basic maintenance parts ie; brake pads and Twin Air filter.

i've used Mike's Cycle Supply and KTM World and was happy with them.

Powersports Warehouse is 40% off list. Cheapest I've found. Non-existent customer service but I always get what I ordered. They charge shipping based on value of order but seem to have become better in last year. For large orders the 40% really adds up. You also get e-mail notification of tracking. Downside is that they are in South Carolina, so it's like 7 days UPS to west coast.

Munn Racing. I've learnt it pays to be very clear/consistent in how you communicate with them but their heart is solidly in the right place and they answer questions (better on the phone than e-mail). They charge only what freight co charges them for shipping but you never know ahead of time what this amount is and there is no notification of shipping/tracking. For small orders, this is who I use as they ship fast and will ship 1st class mail, priority etc and always seem to have the items in stock.

Cycle Zone KTM. Used them a few times. Mike is a helpful guy.

The one place I unfortunately avoid is my dealer. They charge full price and it's 20 miles each way in a direction I never travel.

crazybrit screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:32 PM
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #4436
zestymac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
+1 on Cycle Zone...

I bought a used piece from Chip at Munn and it was a good transaction...
zestymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #4437
Moto Vaquero
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 252
+1 on Munn Racing.
Also Slavens Racing, descent prices and when you call, Jeff Slavens anwers the phone.

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #4438
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Fusebox behind headlight

I'm mounting a DDM HID light right now, requires running a wire back to the battery. I'm already pinching 12V power for GPS, electric vest etc, so I was wondering if there was a better way.

Has anyone found a cool way of mounting a fuse box close to the headlight area? Three outputs (always on) would be fine. I know Ned used a Fuzeblocks FZ1 in the Dakar but I can't see any clean way to mount something that large on a stock bike plus it's overkill for what I need. Obviously the solution is a NAV tower

I started a thread in Thumpers. The Eastern Beaver 3 circuit isn't long enough for where I was thinking of mounting it but these guys sell the Metri-pak 3x fusebox individually so I could roll my own version.

Not entirely sure on a good mounting location ... I was thinking of making a taller version of the mounting panel where the ktm molex connectors snap into (behind the headlight mask), with room for a second row, but looking closer I'm not sure it will clear with the wiring behind the existing one.

Seeking inspiration, curious if anyone has come up with a good solution?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #4439
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Why not mount one of these Centech units near the battery box?

http://www.amazon.com/Centech-AP-1-A.../dp/B003H20X9G

I believe 2 are always live, and 3 are live with bike running.
I installed this on my ST4S years ago with out any failure.
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #4440
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goat View Post
Why not mount one of these Centech units near the battery box?

http://www.amazon.com/Centech-AP-1-A.../dp/B003H20X9G

I believe 2 are always live, and 3 are live with bike running.
I installed this on my ST4S years ago with out any failure.
Because I wanted to be able to plug multiple items in near the headlight. I don't really want to have to run multiple wires from a battery located fuse box upto the headlight area. I was hoping to run just one 20A fused wire from the battery to the headlight area, and then mount the fusebox near there.

Mounting something near the battery box isn't as much of a challenge.