Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #10291
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Caselli's was probably missed WP's with his early nav errors - will check the regs to see what levels of penalty you get for what
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/docs...r-2013-VUS.pdf

Well trawling through that lot doesn't really help, wp penalties are according to the road book- anyone have a copy from yesterday?

Caselli could have opened his GPS, but not sure if he is classed as an elite rider, if not then that's 3 hours.

A shit load of others penalties on page 62 - but they could be for many things.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #10292
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Manuel Lucchese

Aggiornamento via sms:
First problem solved, the bike wouldnt keep the mínimum because when we mounted back the carburator some days ago i mounted it wrong. We checked the valves and they are ok, the engine is not losing any oil so i need to figure out why the bike does not rev up well. Thanks to everyone that is supporting me here in the bivouac and online!!!

Ps. Big thanks to all the ADV Rider Forum guys for funding my mousse!! Without you i would of never made it through the Marathon stage!!

//manuel staff//
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #10293
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/docs...r-2013-VUS.pdf

Well trawling through that lot doesn't really help, wp penalties are according to the road book- anyone have a copy from yesterday?

Caselli could have opened his GPS, but not sure if he is classed as an elite rider, if not then that's 3 hours.

A shit load of others penalties on page 62 - but they could be for many things.
Caselli isn't on the elite rider list but I'm pretty sure he has a yellow number background, thought that meant elite??
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #10294
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Manuel Lucchese

Aggiornamento via sms:
First problem solved, the bike wouldnt keep the mínimum because when we mounted back the carburator some days ago i mounted it wrong. We checked the valves and they are ok, the engine is not losing any oil so i need to figure out why the bike does not rev up well. Thanks to everyone that is supporting me here in the bivouac and online!!!

Ps. Big thanks to all the ADV Rider Forum guys for funding my mousse!! Without you i would of never made it through the Marathon stage!!

//manuel staff//
Well if the carb was mounted "wrong" it could certainly impact the reving

Anyhow the news is getting better and the F5investment is on the up

But .... SOME DAYS AGO !
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #10295
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,720
I dont want to call it a "crash course"... but
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #10296
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Caselli isn't on the elite rider list but I'm pretty sure he has a yellow number background, thought that meant elite??
It would in which case this would be a 6 hour penalty so he didn't open the GPS. He won't be on the list as he wasn't there when the list was complied. I'm not sure if elite is just yellow background or numbers 1 - 50 - or both
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #10297
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
From Frank Verhoestraete FB Group:

Bon... rentré hier vers minuit après une journée un peu folle mais qui font parti des joies du Dakar... On va essayer de trouver une solution pour que je ne sois pas foutu dehors. Je vous expliquerai en détail cette journée des que j'en serai un peu plus sur la décision des officiels.
Pour en revenir à la journée d'avant hier, étape tres rapide, je pars 98 et je termine 48, j'ai du dépasser une vingtaine de concurrents moto/quad dans une poussière impossible! juste une petite chute et premières griffes sur mon beau casque en voulant prendre une piste paralelle et sortir de la poussière. Après les 200km de spécial à 3500m d'altitude, petit cadeau de l'organisation avec une liasion de 170km et une nouvelle petite escalade à pres de 5000m sur des pistes à flanc de colline avec des ravins vertigineux et des passages de rivières. Pour corser un peu la chose, il s'est mis à pleuvoir et la piste etait assez glissante. La cerise sur le gateau fut la nuit qu'on a passé après ca dans un gymnase d'un petit village de montagne ou on s'est tous gelé les c.... et dormi par terre sur le beton. Sans oublié la pluie torrentielle à laquelle on a eu droit le soir et grace à laquelle la première partie de la spéciale d'hier a été annulé. Donc hier matin départ à 7h pour la première moto, liason de pres de 300 bornes, paysages magnifiques et accueil toujours aussi sympa de la population. Départ de la spéciale rapide et rocailleux, pas très a l'aise puis arrive le sable et des pistes" africaine", là je suis rapidement remonté sur les 8 pilotes partis devant moi puis la moto a casser...

Je vais maintenant au bivouac voir ce qu'il en est, merci à tous ceux qui m'ont appelé. Je vous tiens au courant sur la suite des évenements.

Merci encore à vous tous, pour votre soutien!
Good... yesterday returned around midnight after a day a little mad but that are part of the joys of the Dakar... We will try to find a solution so that I'm not screwed out. I will explain in detail the day of that I will be a little more on the decision of the officials.
Going back to the day of before yesterday, very quick step, I'm 98 and I finish 48, I have the exceed twenty competitors bike/quad in an impossible dust! just a small fall and first clutches on my fine helmet by wanting to take a parallel track and out of the dust. After the 200 km of special to 3500m of altitude, small gift of the organization with a Pricelist of 170 km and a new climbing to close to 5000m on tracks on the side Hill with steep ravines and river crossings. For corser the thing a bit it started to rain and the track was quite slippery. The icing on the cake was the night we spent after that in a gym of a small mountain village or it was all frozen the c... and slept on the concrete floor. Without forget the torrential rain which has been right at night and through which the first part of the special yesterday was cancelled. So yesterday morning departure to 7 h for the first motorcycle, liaison of more than 300 terminals, landscapes and also nice of the population. "" Departure of the special rapid and rocky, not very at ease then there comes the sand and "African" tracks, I am quickly back up on the 8 drivers left before me then the bike break...

I will now see what it is, thanks to all who called me at the bivouac. I would like to know on the sequence of events.

Thanks again to you all for your support!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #10298
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
It would in which case this would be a 6 hour penalty so he didn't open the GPS. He won't be on the list as he wasn't there when the list was complied. I'm not sure if elite is just yellow background or numbers 1 - 50 - or both
I'm fairly certain it was for the missed way point. As you said missed way point penalty's are listed in the roadbook.

15) Fixed Penalty
a) A Fixed Penalty has been created to replace certain sanctions leading to Disqualification
for failing to respect certain clauses of the Regulations.
It allows the penalised Competitor to continue the Event in normal competition conditions, still being
sanctioned.

b) The Fixed Penalty is expressed in a time which is added to the penalties already incurred
by the Competitor.

c) The Fixed Penalty may be of a different figure for each Selective Section, Road Section or
Passage Control, calculated according to the profile and the difficulty of each of these.
d) The total time attributed to the Competitor affected by the Fixed Penalty, for each Stage,
will be calculated by adding together the maximum time authorised for the Selective Section(s) or
Road Section(s) not covered, increased by the Fixed Penalty of the day for the missing section(s), as
well as for any missing Passage Controls.
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #10299
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Hi everyone. thanks for all the updates, photos, videos and contributions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Nice write up and picture of Lyndon with his Dad sharing the magic moment.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...oskitt-top10-/

Quote:
Craig Bounds continued to defy the odds by completing stage eight despite the pain in his back getting worse. The tough Welshman has also started to lose feeling in his left hand, but still managed to get through the stage to finish in 101st which puts him 92nd overall.
This does not sound good at all..
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #10300
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Just now got word from Chavo that he is in. 21 hours on stage 7am Saturday until 4am Sunday.

Finally got the bike started and got going again. Nearly had to abandon but got some help and a tow from Bolivian quad rider, Diego Martinez.

hectic!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #10301
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 491
Re-Evaluate Cliff Notes

Hey Mods,

While we are on the rest day, can we re-evaluate what the Cliff Notes thread is for. The original notes page updated important news releases, stage results, penalty explanations, withdrawals, interviews, a link or two to videos and only a few photos if they went with one of the aforementioned items. The more to-business format allowed us to browse through the day's notes and get a feel for what was going on, quickly, instead of spending an hour or two reading the daily explosion of pages in the Official Event Coverage thread.

This year our cliff notes thread is nearly mirroring the Media Thread. Throwing all those photos (with no news/story behind them) into the cliff notes clutters up the thread. If you look at pages 23 back to 21 (for a short example), over half the content is linked directly from the media thread and some news is wedged in. A possible solution is to post when updates to the media thread have been made and provide a link to the updated Media Thread in lieu of 3/4 of a page worth of photos. In years past I believe it went something like this:
Stage X video uploaded to the media thread.
Stage X and Y Photos courtesy of WebVenture uploaded to media thread.
Interview after stage X, with Inmate Pyndon here.

I appreciate the work that goes into updating threads like the cliff notes and that it can be time consuming to find the most applicable content in the sea of the main and sub Dakar threads. I think the main idea that worked in past years was to keep the cliff notes as simple as possible and let the reader follow links or conduct a more refined search based off the concise information in the cliff notes.

Thanks,
E
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #10302
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,959
I think with the onslaught of additional media this year (francetv, Facebook, tweets, etc) its getting harder and harder to keep up. I'm betting the mods are getting a bit burnt out

Speaking of, remember when Troy used to be apart of the F5 team...seems like ages ago....i kinda miss his humorous daily recaps.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #10303
Screamingeagle3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Stage 8 from Dakar site....

Screamingeagle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #10304
Screamingeagle3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Stage 8,dakar site

Screamingeagle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #10305
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,720
I try to limit my input to only the most erudite, relevant and insightful that's available to copy and paste.