Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #10321
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Do you know how much it costs to hire support with another team?
If I remember correctly around $18k I'd have to ask Scott to be sure.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #10322
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Just another thing that shows how good the aliens really are, to calculate all that in your head on the fly!!
Except I think they didn't

Some might've thought they had a faulty sensor, but to recognize the deficit due to the terrain, and then to compensate that 10% on the fly, exiting the river in those conditions... well I am damn impressed.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #10323
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Seeing as the ASO stopped the car time at CP2 and with the conditions there Do you think they gave the damaged stuck drowned cars leeway on the no assistance stuff ??
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #10324
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,785
Woo Hoo for Johnny C! 2nd place!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #10325
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Bluebull

I have to say I like Cyril despite the fact that as an Englishman I have been taught from birth to despise all of the cheese eating surrender monkeys over the Channel

That's a joke by the way!
You do realise that using the term meunkey can be deemed quite insulting
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #10326
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:

[...] surrender monkeys [...]
Need to remember that. ;)
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #10327
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Have you guys caught some Peterhansel's mention of doing Dakar in the truck in near future? Reportedly he told that to FR TV.
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #10328
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
As an international cycling official (Commissaire) we always teach newly qualified guys and girls "never speak to the riders before the start", especially on something like a Downhill Race where they will be waiting their turn alone with only you, the time keeper and perhaps a mechanic in attendance. We always explain that you wait for them to speak to you and if they don't then stay quiet.
Good points, well worth sharing. I had slightly similar experiences manning TCs in enduros, the only difference was we also had a few riders screaming at us, begging to write down their target time instead of the actual time when they fucked up their transfer timing. I am talking serious intimidation, but we never paid attention to their threats, exactly because we had also been told that when a racer is in the zone, you can't really have a meaningful conversation

The real pros would turn up, hand you their carnet, hardly ever say a word, fold it up and take off. Except the Italians (Sala and Rinaldi come to mind). Lots of laughs, nicest pros I ever met
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #10329
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Craig Bounds continued to defy the odds by completing stage eight despite the pain in his back getting worse. The tough Welshman has also started to lose feeling in his left hand, but still managed to get through the stage to finish in 101st which puts him 92nd overall.
That doesnt sound good at all...

Glad that Manuel sort out the problem... At least it was easier that he first thought!

Boy oh boy... Those pics are intimidating
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #10330
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Pedro Bianchi Prata, 4th yesterday, on his nightmare 5th stage:

The day everything went wrong: (actually the Husqvarna is a very good bike and sturdy, made more than 90 km of the stage without water in the radiator and the electric part all melted .... and then 270 km of connection ... we reached the camp at 2 in the morning we exchange the motor and the 5:30 already we were again on the road)

Good to see the customer Husky package doing well

Brilliant video showing to some extent how difficult the fesh fesh is to deal with and also some loose rock climbs etc.

Love the guy, he always does great Dakar videos.

Quote:
Bluebull

I did think that when I watched the video and also wondered if you might have got a better response had you approached him with "Bonjour Cyril comment allez-vous?" rather than going straight in English

I also took your subtitle as being tongue in cheek!

As an international cycling official (Commissaire) we always teach newly qualified guys and girls "never speak to the riders before the start", especially on something like a Downhill Race where they will be waiting their turn alone with only you, the time keeper and perhaps a mechanic in attendance. We always explain that you wait for them to speak to you and if they don't then stay quiet.

It's interesting how riders when in the zone act in completely different ways, some will be "zoned out" hardly even aware of your presence, others may give you a brief nod, or a quick word, whereas others will be chatting and joking right up to the point they accelerate out of the start hut.

In fact two of the chattiest, jokiest riders in recent years have both been French, Cedric Gracia and Fabien Barel so you clearly can't apply national stereotypes to the phenomenum.

I have to say I like Cyril despite the fact that as an Englishman I have been taught from birth to despise all of the cheese eating surrender monkeys over the Channel

That's a joke by the way!

The english and the french - never the twain shall meet.

Of course youre right, and Im hardly the professional interviewer anyway. I was so excited to be standing so close to him I found myself at a loss for words and all the questions I had were out the window to be honest. French? Last thing I was thinking of and anyway I only know english, spanish, afrikaans, and zulu.

Bear in mind this was after mudgate too and he was under a lot of pressure with Coma.

Interestingly I had a very good interview with Frans Verhoefen at the same time, and he was also focussed on the day but gave me the courtesy of a few minutes - totally different and very positive impression. When you are at the top I guess it pays not to be grumpy with the fans.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #10331
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
Latest from TSC was I think just before the start of the marathon. Word is he came out on the ss, was swept away by Flooding at a wp Rivergate, stranded in a small village with no Foster desperatly growing a moustache. Locals are now terrifyed by a man sneeking around whispering: "mussst fiiiind engiiiine....."

Ja jeflar!!!
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #10332
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
his constant search for a helping hand, is wearing on some of the other teams or riders?
It may not even be that. Remember, having a mechanic (or anyone at all in the bivouac) at Dakar is a ~$25000 proposition, so their time is not taken lightly, and whoever paid the bill probably would take a dim view of "freebie" assistance. Your priority is the job you were brought for.

There are a few mechanics unencumbered by a rider by now (Dave @ RMS) but usually, they are part of a team and the calculation was that there would be insufficient mechanics at the start, and as people dropped out the workload would balance with available hands.

So, maybe nothing to do with Manual, just too many other priorities and he's not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
This does not sound good at all..
I started having numbness around the rest day, and had it for a good month after the race. This may have nothing to do with an injury, just with the repetitive stress of being on the bike for so many hours. You'll notice Pyn is using the same bar end weights as Cyril, he added those because of numbness in just a few hours. I don't think it would be right to read too much into Craig's comment.

Also, people must be asking themselves "is it worth it, how can he continue, etc". The Dakar is not a reasonable thing to do. To get this far, he's had to put basically everything normal and considered a priority by most people in his life on hold for months and years. Shortsighted tho it may be, Dakar feels like the only thing that is important from his perspective, so there's not an easy way to weigh or balance things. If people were doing that, most of the field would drop out the first hard day, ridiculous crash, dangerous moment, etc. It simply is not reasonable to start with, so don't go looking for it to be reasonable later on.

Quote:
and some pilots just want to relax and focus on what they are about to do, not do interviews or talk to fans.
Speaking for myself, the key element of Dakar is internal focus. You absolutely must focus on the roadbook and not make any mistakes for hours at a time, and focus on the riding and not make any mistakes for hours at a time, and that focused mental space is incompatible with friendly chatting.

Bluebull, I felt like I was less than friendly to you at times during the race, presumably my level of concentration was a fraction of Cyril's. Apologies, but you seemed to understand!

I'll probably be castigated for this, but I did not like when fans would make their way through the barriers at DSS/ etc, there is just too much to focus on as a rider. You're about to do something very serious and intense and it's not nice to feel like an asshole for being unfriendly, nor to lose concentration by being friendly. It's a no win situation for a rider. At least, it was for me.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #10333
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
UPdates coming from the Freedom Rally Crew:

Thursday 10th,
Today I was surprised that a gas station we stopped at had Wi-Fi, so I took the opportunity to upload all the photos I had… hope you liked them. I did not have time to describe them, but I will at a later date. I have many more to upload that show the terrain we are traveling through. I also had the opportunity to see what other people had posted on Freedom Rally Racing and realized... you know more about the race than I do!! I have no idea who is first, second, or what went on during the race, only what I hear through the grapevine. So I hope the day to day of setting up camp and what we the support team go through is interesting enough. I don’t even get feedback on that!
This morning the riders set out at the crack of dawn, while it was still dark outside. Scott, Jaime and Dave managed to get an extra hour of sleep as packing up camp was done by the time they woke up. Most times they are packing also, although this time much of it was done the night before as usual. Our camp today at Calama, Chile is sandy, dusty and windy, not fun at all! Dust is everywhere, it would be fruitless to try and clean anything! Spectators still manage to line the streets and highways, even in the most desolate places. When we stop for gas we are usually barraged by people wanting to take photographs with us by the camper. I have held many kids for their parents, girlfriends and wives for their family, standing in front of the RV! We also have a lot of stickers of every kind to hand out, which people love! The mini bike Mike has loaded onto the front of the RV always gets a lot of attention (usually laughs!) as we go through the crowds.
Today we had a flat tire on the RV and had to change it in the middle of nowhere. We also got some assistance from another team (Friends of Luis’s of course!) who stopped to lend a hand. They had a few wrenches we didn’t and made life much easier than it would have otherwise been. The outside rubber tread had come off the inside left rear tire… Changing it in the heat, the wind and in a dust bowl was no fun.
As I write this, Luis has not arrived yet (must be about 8:30pm… no my computer clock is not right…. The things we take for granted!!) the mechanics are eating now, and I’m waiting to give “King Luis” a hand when he gets here. Any minute now! I guess everyone had a good ride today… Marco passed Mateo today, which got a nice big chuckle from Liliana. I heard there is Wi-Fi at the “Host Country Tent” so I may be able to post this AND send emails! Wish me luck!
Sunday 13th,
Today is a day of “rest” in Tucuman. This means simply we all get to sleep in. That’s it. Work goes on. When the bikes are ready, then the trucks get some attention. Mateo’s bike will get a new motor today, the other two are OK, although we are all worried about Luis’s. If something happens to his engine, we don’t have a spare. This has been a race with miracles being performed for him and by him, so stay tuned for more! Speaking of the trucks, let me elaborate. The RV has had two blown tires now and yesterday we were stranded by the side of the road about 50 km out of Salta, with no power. We had enough to reverse back onto the side of the road, but not to go forward. We were rescued by a bunch of very friendly and boisterous Dutchmen, who towed us in their Dakar support truck for 155km into Tucuman! That was quite the ride, as we were doing about 77 mph and still managed to pass another truck with the RV in tow. Mikes comment: “Well, that’s a first!”. Jaime fixed the problem when we got into camp. A loose magnet in the carburetor.
The camp today is inside a horse race track in Tucuman. Mike, Jenny, Mateo, Marcos , Liliana and Luis all got some much needed rest in a Tucuman hotel . Onwards we go now, to Cordoba tomorrow! More then!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FreedomRallyRacing
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #10334
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
If I remember correctly around $18k I'd have to ask Scott to be sure.
The components are Entry of truck, share of truck expenses, Entry of Mechanic, travel for Mechanic, and space on truck.

Typically, ~$25-30k USD is a reasonable ballpark for a person at Dakar.

It can be done cheaper depending on the truck situation, but $18k is barely entry fees alone.

~$15k is the low end of the spectrum for a shared mechanic and some cargo space.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #10335
theboxers
Getting Out There

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
The english and the french - never the twain shall meet..
The people of both countries get on pretty well IME. It's the governments, governing bodies and establishment that can't stand each other.
.Got Licence. Got the bike.

Now what have I forgoten. Oh yeah RIDE IT

theboxers is offline   Reply With Quote