Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #10336
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Seriously - forget the bandana - I'm more worried why his zipper is undone!!!

It's a fine line between 'male-model' and 'camp'... and Cyril has just crossed it!

Jx
So I wasn't the only one to notice that

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #10337
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
The components are Entry of truck, share of truck expenses, Entry of Mechanic, travel for Mechanic, and space on truck.

Typically, ~$25-30k USD is a reasonable ballpark for a person at Dakar.

It can be done cheaper depending on the truck situation, but $18k is barely entry fees alone.

~$15k is the low end of the spectrum for a shared mechanic and some cargo space.
Found a breakdown of support cost with Freedom. Starts at $18,500 and goes up from there. I know there is no way they make money on this. As they don't just send "a mechanic". They have an entire crew there to help with various aspects. Entry fee's alone are not covered by the support cost. I know Scott "personally" makes not a dime for the Dakar. It's all a freebie. He works for about 3 months building the bikes AFTER he gets off work. 7 days a week. For those months I never see him, period. 10 minutes max each day. He's home long after midnight to shower, sleep and go back to work. Then off to the Dakar, he receives his normal paycheck, nothing more. All for the love of the Dakar. He's living his dream!!!!

Anyway, here's the breakdown of support cost:

http://www.freedomcyclesinc.com/miscpage_005.asp
Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #10338
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
I can understand completely about trying to focus on your work and resisting fan/paddock people's imposition. If you have limited time and must perform a series of duties, no competitor wants to chat. I think that is fairly universal in motorsports. There are times to chat but the heat of battle in the paddock is not one of them.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #10339
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
He and Coma are super inpsirational for me, and so I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak to him for a mine or two. At the time I was really upset and disappointed by Cyrils response to my approach, and it did change my opinion of him, but in retrospect it was 15 minutes before he left on the SS and some pilots just want to relax and focus on what they are about to do, not do interviews or talk to fans.

Ive warmed to Cyril again, especially after the last couple of days and also Flanny's personal anecdotes.

Smart man. - To me, the people that truly hate on Cyril for things like a headband or a short interview clip are the same brand of people that hated on Marco Simoncelli for his hair.
zenjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #10340
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Rest day they said.

Giniel's crew taking care of the Toyota
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #10341
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
From Geoff Olholm on Facebook:

Can someone explain to me how they righted it?! I'm guessing they couldn't just manually push it back over. Nobody helped them, they righted it themselves!
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #10342
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I think with the onslaught of additional media this year (francetv, Facebook, tweets, etc) its getting harder and harder to keep up. I'm betting the mods are getting a bit burnt out

Speaking of, remember when Troy used to be apart of the F5 team...seems like ages ago....i kinda miss his humorous daily recaps.
Those daily re-caps were awesome. Maybe for next year we can schedule 4 or 5 people to divide up the daily info dump into sections and be responsible for posting the meatiest bits of info into the cliff notes. I'll volunteer myself for it, for 2014.

E

escuchamente screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 10:22 AM Reason: edit
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #10343
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Rest day they said.
I think they just take cover from the sun..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #10344
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Rest day they said.

Giniel's crew taking care of the Toyota
I think they are really sleeping!! "Hey if we lay under truck they think we are working and leave us alone! "

Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #10345
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post

Can someone explain to me how they righted it?! I'm guessing they couldn't just manually push it back over. Nobody helped them, they righted it themselves!
I don't know but......wonder if they just rolled it all the way over across it's roof?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #10346
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Hi all an update from Tamsin Jones about Craig Bounds, am sure she wont mind me posting it here:

"
Made it to Tucuman. Craig is here and not looking too bad. He said that the marathon stage was a hard one with lots getting altitiude sickness. Craigs injury is in his upper back which is causing him problems in his neck and shoulders and he is only taking ibruprofen so we need to sort that out. The pain is causing him not to sleep that well so that is adding to the toughness of the race. The weather is good - not too hot and I have finally ditched the thermals and waterproofs - sorry to you all in the COLD uk!!

Craig said he is trying to do his best but is feeling everysingle bump and every single bump is putting more wrinkles on his face. he will do his best to get to the end for all his sponsors, friends and family
"
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #10347
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
I don't know but......wonder if they just rolled it all the way over across it's roof?
I was thinking the same thing
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #10348
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post

looks to me like he is digging the uphill bank away so when they push that way it will come down far enough to drive away
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #10349
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
They posted more pics and answered my question!
SEVEN hours of digging!

Youch!
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #10350
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Word from Pat Beaule (pronounce "Bo-lay") on his FB page:

(crappy Google translation from Frech)

Hello everyone! I am rest day in Tucuman. I'm very tired! I am happy of the results so far considering my bad result on day 4 that sent me farther behind on day 5 was the fast track in the dust .... I try to remain in tops 60 but the priority is to finish!. I do not hurt anywhere except wrist and some blisters. My morale is very good. My mechanic is the best in the world!! The next few days will be very difficult ... The Dakar is more difficult than I expected! So much the better! I'm among good friends in this world of Dakar! Thank you to Frederique Saindon and thank you to Flanny for taking such good care of my page!! And thank you to Helen and Dominic for buying a stage! Thank you all for proudly wearing your Tshirts! I am filled with energy thinking of all of you, thank you! I am mentally prepared and rested for the next 6 days while JF takes care of my baby (KTM 450 Rally) that runs so well! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Signed: Pat Beaulé who lives the dream of his life!

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote