Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #10351
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
Hi all an update from Tamsin Jones about Craig Bounds, am sure she wont mind me posting it here:

"
Made it to Tucuman. Craig is here and not looking too bad. He said that the marathon stage was a hard one with lots getting altitiude sickness. Craigs injury is in his upper back which is causing him problems in his neck and shoulders and he is only taking ibruprofen so we need to sort that out. The pain is causing him not to sleep that well so that is adding to the toughness of the race. The weather is good - not too hot and I have finally ditched the thermals and waterproofs - sorry to you all in the COLD uk!!

Craig said he is trying to do his best but is feeling everysingle bump and every single bump is putting more wrinkles on his face. he will do his best to get to the end for all his sponsors, friends and family
"
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #10352
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,535
Youch! is right!!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #10353
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

SpeedBrain update:

The Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain riders are taking a well deserved rest in their hotel after running eight stages, and some 4000 km. Meanwhile, the mechanics and technicians have been up since seven o’clock this morning working so that the four Husqvarna TE499RR by Speedbrain will be at their best for tomorrow.

from here

So the top riders not only have a motorhome, but a hotel room on the rest day...? I think there is too large a difference between the top and the bottom of the field nowadays, and not just pertaining to talent or speed

"In the second part we’ll do what ever is necessary to try and support Alessandro who’s highest in the overall standings, as well as the other riders in every stage."

Nice to hear Botturi is the #1 rider on the team though
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #10354
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboxers View Post
The people of both countries get on pretty well IME. It's the governments, governing bodies and establishment that can't stand each other.
Without a doubt, get us together, our schoolboy French, their perfect English, a few beers and wines, take ze piss out of each other and friends for life

Politicians - wankers all of them - except Boris that is, he's just a stand up comedian in the
Tommy Cooper vein and would make an excellent leader, well at least we would all have a laugh whilst going down the pan
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #10355
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Some clever thinking along the way too. I've added the whole sequence over at my Aussie Dakar update site.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #10356
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,456
glad there is a trickle... need to cut wood (get some exercise)

this year has been interesting to say the least..

Im a junkie and you are ALL enablers
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #10357
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
SpeedBrain update:

The Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain riders are taking a well deserved rest in their hotel after running eight stages, and some 4000 km. Meanwhile, the mechanics and technicians have been up since seven o’clock this morning working so that the four Husqvarna TE499RR by Speedbrain will be at their best for tomorrow.

from here

So the top riders not only have a motorhome, but a hotel room on the rest day...? I think there is too large a difference between the top and the bottom of the field nowadays, and not just pertaining to talent or speed
Carlton talked about that in the beginning stages as well.....they've been doing that whenever/wherever possible.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #10358
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
SpeedBrain update:

from here

"In the second part we’ll do what ever is necessary to try and support Alessandro who’s highest in the overall standings, as well as the other riders in every stage."

Nice to hear Botturi is the #1 rider on the team though
The race is different things to different people..." Ride your ride"
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #10359
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Good points, well worth sharing. I had slightly similar experiences manning TCs in enduros, the only difference was we also had a few riders screaming at us, begging to write down their target time instead of the actual time when they fucked up their transfer timing. I am talking serious intimidation, but we never paid attention to their threats, exactly because we had also been told that when a racer is in the zone, you can't really have a meaningful conversation

The real pros would turn up, hand you their carnet, hardly ever say a word, fold it up and take off. Except the Italians (Sala and Rinaldi come to mind). Lots of laughs, nicest pros I ever met
I work for a pro mountain bike team and we have a saying about the racers right before/during and after the race about things they say or think... "racer brain" meaning let them relax awhile and cool off before you have a serious conversation with them. You might get anything from complete jiberish to rants about nothing. I have heard some pretty funny stuff over the years.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #10360
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Live chat with Barreda - with El Pais readers

google translate

Felipe
22. 18:00 h.
Are the measures adequate organizational security for participants and spectators alike or have gaps deverian considering reviewing the high speed that all participants resarrollan.? Luck and finished without problem

It is very difficult to control 100% safety of the thousands of people there. The organization and put a lot of countries do their part to improve safety, but it's still difficult. Thank you.

Batiste
21. 17:59 h.
In the images we offer you see on TV deal confidently dunes Do you think there is an advantage to have competed in motocross?

I think all that is here in Dakar, roughly made motocross, tackle the stages in one way or another is a matter of ambition and a way to see the race.

Desirée
20. 17:57 h.
How serious is the wrist injury? Watching this year as will the Dakar, does the next year with the return of Marc, do you think will be more level than there is this year? As Laia Sanz is only as female, Do you see some stage able to win in future years? Thanks Joan for the race you're doing!

The doll? Here I am with some ice: I have a crack that we all know that is a couple of weeks. I do not expect much improvement, but try as I can stand. Marc always a winning driver and always bet on a high pace. I'm sure it will be there. A Dakar 2014 with Cyril, Marc and I struggle with them can be great fun. Laia is becoming more level up every time is faster and is being seen in the results of this year, I think if we spent one season as we focus only on the rally can further improve results.

asdf
19. 17:54 h.
Crack! You think you can put up with the same engine throughout the test? I wonder Despres.

In our approach was put up all the evidence with the same engine, but left defecutoso material. As for Despres, I think so, he gave the engine was a factory engine like yours led by a driver who was not fast and loha well preserved, so will be able to reach the end. Everything will depend on the pace and hardness of the remaining stages.

Moni Maldonado
18. 17:47 h.
Too bad you had problems and lost time, what are your expectations for this Dakar?

Especially reach Santiago and grow as a pilot, experience level, and take these steps to make decisions like yesterday, when I decided to take a path that no one had gone and it was the right path.

camionets
17. 17:46 h.
Laia Sanz would you like to girlfriend?

Women do not like me ...

Mikeldillo
16. 17:46 h.
In the photos you arrive at the goal of yesterday's stage (Stage 8) you looked? Tired or discouraged?

Always tired, you're exhausted, over twelve hours after being on the bike as we are every day. Discouraged ... other. Earn stages is well and encourages you, but seeing how ESTNA stages going every day every day I realize more and more real options I had.

Esteve Serra NAPI
15. 17:43 h.
That utilzas tricks to motivate you after a bad phase? As manteneis good food with many hours of bike? Muscle injuries not also depend on the hydration?

It is always complicated. In my case, after working a full year, which will see all options because of a break is complicated and hard to grasp, but the rally is so and so winning the award is so desired.

david Castellón
14. 17:40 h.
How about the engine change is legal cyril replace your engine for the other pilot???

Yes it is legal. In the premium regulation to rally the fellowship and was fortunate that a pilot sacrificed his Dakar for him.

48_PALERMO_58
13. 17:39 h.
Hi Joan, first congratulate you on the great race you're doing, mechanical problems aside, my question is this, when you started to compete in raids?? , Crack luck!

In Baja Spain raids was the summer of 2009, I prepared the race in 15 days and I could not finish the rally but won all special until I ran out of gas. I saw that I liked. Thank you!

Elena
12. 17:38 h.
Do you think you still have chance to win the Dakar? At the end of the day, all that's happened to you this first week of competition can happen to the other, right? Lucky for the rest and MUCH GAS!

No, I have no choice. I lost a lot of time and all the options are pilots who have not had problems.

Jess
11. 17:35 h.
Hi! From outside we see that the Dakar is hard, but from the inside it is the hardest? As the days of life stage? and the day off? Thanks and GASSSS

The hardest part of Dakar is not rest, accumulate late hours of sleep and be increasingly more complicated. On the fifth day, the link, I had to stop to take a nap because he was dead. We must make good use of the hours when you get to the bivouac: a routine to the road book, eat and rest and have to use it 100%.

Jordi Duart
10. 17:32 h.
Do you think this has been the start of the Dakar hard as i routes physical conditions? continuous so

Yes, yes, yes. In addition, the links will leave chafadísimo and costs much special leave at cool head. The bikes are all K.O.

Martial
9. 17:31 h.
How's your wrist? You can keep playing hard?

Right now it's swollen like a sausage, but is recovering slowly. We are working every day by the physio to give gas.

Jordi duart
8. 17:30 h.
Do you regalarias your helmet if you did podium? joan i gas much force butt

If I win next year give it to you!

Juan Antonio Bruno marzal (xarlotet)
7. 17:29 h.
Barreda do physical training before the Dakar? Greetings from alcocebre

I prepare all year round, doing bike training, navigation and rallies that will bring experience, but the last few months were spent studying physical preparation and steps to be more fresh in body and mind.

Desirée
6. 17:27 h.
How are you seeing this year the Dakar? Who do you think can be on the podium?

The Dakar is a little crazy, changing each day. In the end, I think Cyril will be there, and I think Helder Vest recover positions, although all have options that are there because every day new problems happening estáns, navigation or mechanical.

solercio.primo
5. 17:26 h.
Joan you think the problem q q s happened with lightning espoor deva to be some sabotage x desirlo somehow????

No, these things happen. Perhaps in the early days should have llebado suspension a bit harder, knowing it was 100% sand, and could have avoided breaking the spokes. Anyway, the race trances are normal and the next day I got it back, I was not in the plans was to break the shot.

jmajocalvo
4. 17:24 h.
Q Q apparently you do to the bike as agil.Es single issue of chassis and lengths?

Yes, this project began two years ago when none of the bikes had this concept and opted for this type of chassis and is now seeing that all projects are going in that direction. Anyway, this year we have worked with a completely new chassis, with larger sizes looking for stability.

Zevillano
3. 17:22 h.
Why the day of your problem with the fuel pump, the team, knowing that your backpacking out so late, did not give spare parts and emergency equipment to Botturi, at least for this stage? Botturi? Had not been signed by your team also work if necessary?

Yes, you're right, but in the end it was the fuel pump, but the entire injection and was beyond repair in the middle of the stage. I had to get towed. Viladoms Botturi and stopped all and left me a bomb but could not do anything until I came and I drove Fish.

Heather
2. 17:17 h.
Hello! What makes it so special to Dakar? Keep it up and good luck for the remainder!

Is everything in general, but especially the hardness of the race. Always seek the limit of competitors. It is also a very media career and know how to get it to the people. Thank you very much!

Manolo Barnes
1. 17:13 h.
After seeing you in recent races and workouts we shared a doubt assails me. I noticed that when things get complicated when looking at the correct track, apply intuition with good sense, then easily find the right track very quickly while others try to interpret strictly the road book and even v

Hello everyone from Tucumán. It is very important to have a road book additional information as to the meaning of the stage and the areas to be traversed. And in difficult times, it is important to stay calm, because often you are closer than it seems and putting you complicate it even more nervous. In both of the Dakar bundled fat while everyone was running around, what I've done is stop the engine and look.

don't know if 205'ed
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #10361
mkp
Atacama Desert

Oddometer: 47
Wicked Chaleco Lopez

Chaleco
+1
mkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #10362
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Laia Sanz interview over here (in Spanish)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #10363
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
The race is different things to different people..." Ride your ride"
More than ever the way the Dakar is developing will it be different things to different people.

If we all take a few minutes and try and think of any complaints that have truly been aired by the riders with respect to other riders and the ASO - there isn't much, even RG didn't day too much last year that was truly bitter, even after the $$$$$$ he spent.

Most of the complaining seems to be on here at time, not over there
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #10364
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

dakar.com

Rest day Summary (bikes)

139 motorcycles, 26 quads, 106 cars and 64 trucks made it through the first eight stages to the rest day in Tucumán, representing 74.61% of the vehicles which started in Lima. As expected, the Peruvian sequence was as splendid as it was tough, with its fair share of twists and turns. David Casteu, Marcos Patronelli, Stéphane Peterhansel and Gerard de Rooy lead their respective categories but, looking at the variety of challenges awaiting them over the next few days, the only thing that's certain is that nothing is certain!

Motorcycles: KTM purrs, Yamaha and Husqvarna roar, Honda whimpers!

Halfway through the motorcycle race, one thing's for sure: the 35th edition of the Dakar will be one for the books. First of all because the shadow of the KTMs still looms long, even though their captain and defending champion Cyril Despres has had a tough first week, most importantly due to a gearbox problem during the marathon stage which forced him to change his engine, with the ensuing 15-minute penalty. This means the Frenchman is only fifth in the general classification, 24′26″ down, and third among the riders of the Austrian manufacturer, which has nevertheless placed six of its motorcycles in the Top 10, with Ruben Faria and Chaleco López on the provisional podium.

But it's a Yamaha that rules the roost! The brand with the tuning forks may have won only one stage to KTM's four, but it's led the race from stage 4, first with Olivier Pain (now 4th) and then with David Casteu, who seemed almost surprised to take the overall lead in Tucumán. A leap forward for the blue band, probably thanks to its organisation in small independent structures, which fosters competition. On the other hand, the other nice surprise of the 2013 Dakar comes from the biggest team of them all: Husqvarna. Although they've still got reliability issues, the sheer speed of the machine and its leader Joan Barreda has been impressive. The Spaniard was the best performer of the first week together with Chaleco, with three specials apiece. Yet in the overall, the Swedish brand's first motorcycle lies twelfth, courtesy of highly consistent Alessandro Botturi. Long faces in the Honda camp, as their great official comeback to the Dakar flops. Although the Japanese brand has three motorcycles in the top 12, the first of them lies only seventh, thanks to the great revelation of the rally: Jeremías Esquerre, a first-time participant who's been extremely consistent so far.

The Chilean is therefore in command of the Rookie challenge, with 16′06″ on South Africa's Riaan Van Niekerk. As for motorcycles without assistance, Dutchman Hans-Jos Liefhebber holds the reins with his 35th place overall, ahead of Esteban Smith and Hugo Payen. Finally, among the ladies, Laia Sanz lies a strong 29th overall and doesn't have much to fear from Chilean Josefina Gardulski, who's in 132nd place, more than 15 h behind the Catalan.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #10365
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I can understand completely about trying to focus on your work and resisting fan/paddock people's imposition. If you have limited time and must perform a series of duties, no competitor wants to chat. I think that is fairly universal in motorsports. There are times to chat but the heat of battle in the paddock is not one of them.
Obviously there is a lot of truth to that, but I think the exceptions are important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Interestingly I had a very good interview with Frans Verhoefen at the same time, and he was also focussed on the day but gave me the courtesy of a few minutes - totally different and very positive impression.
Obviously the riders get mobbed everywhere they go in South America. It's a hassle they have to actively manage, and yet the huge enthusiastic fan base is part of what makes it so awesome. There are and should be boundaries to buffer the riders, but the line is unavoidably blurred, and that's often not a bad thing. Gordon called fans over to help him dig out early in the race. Cyril would have been thrilled to have Bluebull there last year to help him out of the mud. I think the length of the race and the fact that regular Joe's are racing with the pros both make that line all the more fuzzy.

I think saying something to Despres was fine, and if Despres didn't want to talk, that's was fine too. Verhoefen and others were willing to talk. Probably many were like you, Ned, and were willing to talk, but had to be less talkative than they otherwise would be.

In terms of interviews, it seems Robby Gordon has trained himself to be open to people talking to him. Someone here posted an interview they had with him at another race. He was very friendly and talkative, but it became obvious that he didn't know who was interviewing him at first. Still, the interviewer got the friendly engagement Gordon gives to Eurosport. Robby proactively tried to highlight the interviewers website for listeners. Of course always being in fan-friendly mode is important to someone like him who is always building a brand, less so for privateers.