ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Injured?
Yes, transported by emergency personnel and I'll never be 100% again 37 16.09%
Yes, ended up going to the hospital after getting home, it was pretty serious, but I'm fine now 86 37.39%
Bumps, cuts, bruises, but nothing that required professional attention. 84 36.52%
Nope, never been hurt....knock on wood. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #106
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
I'd like to see a poll on street vs dirt accidents. At least trees don't aim for you but I have seen them move.
You might want to check with Merf on that one.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #107
TigerLilly
Rat Catcher

Oddometer: 999
Been riding 15 years. One major street accident: Broken femur, shattered wrist, broken back, torn up shoulder, meniscus transplant in left knee, lots of damaged discs. It was all from the same accident which was totally a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when a cage driver did something really stupid. I put on thousands of miles a year and generally do all my commuting by bike. There have been some close calls that were averted by good riding skills. I think generally street riding ispretty safe. It's just that when something does go wrong it may tend to cause more damage because you're tangling with cars and the speeds tend to be a lot higher.

On the dirt I've dislocated a few fingers and broken a couple of metatarsals in my foot. Other than that just a few good bruises. Dirt crashes seem to be a lot more frequent but the level of injury tends to be lower.

Even after the big accident I didn't consider giving up riding. I'd rather die doing that than rotting in a nursing home if it comes to it. Most of the people I ride with have not had any major accidents on a bike. As one poster mentioned you will only get the horror stories here but I think for most people relatively minor mishaps are the norm.

RR Big Bend NP - DEC 2010
RR TL Goes North: Canada June 2011
TigerLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #108
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,712
Last year I broke in my new 990 Adventure by low siding it twice in one hour, both sides, loose gravel & sand.

Luckily the crash bars protected the bike well. I wasn't planning on riding anything loose and was wearing my Sidi "street" boots. Combined with an unfamiliarity of the 990s instant 115 hp, incorrect application of that power, and a misadjusted suspension added up to the lowside washouts on each side.

Both ankles were seriously sprained.

I'll never ride off pavement without my Sidi off road boots again!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:42 PM
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #109
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I don't know....45 years of continuous riding, and over 500k street miles and one serious accident is pretty good odds I'd say.

I told Jeanne I wasn't due again until I was 86 years old, and if it made her feel any better I would quit riding at 85.
Blakes right. I can say without hesitation that every one of my drops crashes and tipovers have been entirely preventable and were my doing. Except one..... and in that case I walked away because I was doing everything right that I could have and was wearing great gear.

New riders should assess their inclination to hooligan type behaviors and adjust accordingly. I stopped riding sport bikes, and I4's....... I just couldn't not twist the throttle. These days I'm a bit better about picking and choosing where and when I misbehave. Um..... the 950SE doesn't exactly sell that idea though does it.......
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #110
capcrazy
what, me worry?

Oddometer: 152
been riding for more than 30 years, mostly in the dirt. got knocked out once in junior high. plenty of cuts, scrapes, and bruises. have fractured fingers, toes, and ribs numerous times. never saw a doc once for any of it.

I have had at least 6 high speed wrecks in the dirt at between 60 and 80 mph. walked away from them all, thanks to good safety gear, luck, and knowing how to fall correctly (gymnastics and karate helped a lot with that).

in my short street riding career, I have had numerous close calls (none of 'em my fault), but have yet to go down. I have gotten to where I hate riding in traffic, and avoid it if I can. I bought better safety gear for street riding, and NEVER ride without it.
1985 Suzuki RM250 (ridden until frame broke in 2001)
1985 Kawasaki KDX 200 (still works)
2005 KTM MXC 450 (titled as a street bike with plates)
2009 KLR 650
capcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #111
Patj551
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Too many to count...

I've been riding over 40 years. Started racing MX when I was 11. Went on to race pro. I also spent some time racing Speedway. I can't count the miles I've ridden or the number of crashes I've had. I've had lots of orthopedic surgeries-- knee, shoulder, ankles, wrist, thumb, back. Some of the damage was done when I was younger but, it didn't "break" until I got older. Lucky for me, I've never been down on the street. IMHO dirt bike riders have skills beyond the "average" street rider. Road biking is fairly static, meaning you get into a certain gear and cruise, then apply brakes & stop & then start all over again. Dirt biking is very dynamic requiring constant shifting, braking, body English, and adjustments. I've taken road bike friends who considered themselves fairly accomplished riders on fairly easy dirt & jeep roads and watched them struggle. One even said all the shifting & braking took the fun out of riding. To each his/her own. But, I do believe strong dirt biking skills make for a safer rider. There's no guarantee. Even a small spot of oil, gravel, or nail can seriously ruin your day! I didn't ride for about 6 years. Felt like a kid again when I got back on. Now I really appreciate the joy I feel riding any of my bikes.

The other thing about motorcycling that I love is the camaraderie. As kids, my brother & I spent all our time working to support our habit, wrenching, training, & racing. The bond we have is deep and bikes are intertwined. Used to be motorcycles were mostly for guys. Now it's a family "thang!" How cool is that? Earlier I read a RR from an army dad from Utah that did a ride with his marine son from Denver. Got choked up a few times but smiled as I read their story.

Bottom line for me....I ride cause I love it. Yes, I'm a little gimpy at times, but I hope I am able to ride a long, long time!
Patj551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #112
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,546
Add another one to my list... snow this time. From yesterday's ride.

Stump? Log?

Log. Big one.

Bounced off the bars and was ejected from the sled. Lower A-arm's destroyed. Heim joint may or may not be salvageable. Don't think it tweaked the shock or bent/cracked the bulkhead, but the sled needs to defrost before I can take a look at any of that.

Sled stopped as soon as the tether came off when I was ejected.
Tekvest prevented injury to my chest.
Shoulder's a bit sore from the landing, was thrown about 8ft from the sled.

Not even 200 miles on it yet.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #113
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
Mike, how did you get it out of the woods?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #114
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
You might want to check with Merf on that one.
And Mountain!?

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #115
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,712
Glad to hear that you are OK SnowMule -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #116
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
New riders should assess their inclination to hooligan type behaviors and adjust accordingly.
I'm in my 40's with a wife and three young kids and occasionally I still can't resist the wrist twist (say that 5 times fast!)!

I catch myself doing it and sing "I squidded it... just a little bit"

Transitioning to dirt from squiding?
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #117
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
I should mention that the injury that is most persistent is an ankle. It bothers me more days than not.

How was it injured? Doing laundry. I was carrying three baskets to the basement. Got to the bottom step.... and it wasn't. I stepped into space and badly twisted my ankle. The entire foot turned purple. It's the same ankle I twisted a few times trail running.

Just goes to show.... Don't do laundry.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #118
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Put 40,000 miles on three bikes, about 50-50 on and offroad. This is my only boo boo that required medical attention:
Ewwwww
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #119
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,350
No boo-boos on the street, but broken collar bone and two torn PCLs in my knees on the dirtbike.

Collar bone would have probably been avoided if I had disk brakes (I was on an XR500), PCLs if I had on knee braces (I was wearing regualr shin guards, went over the bars clipping my shins on the bars on the way over)
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #120
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I should mention that the injury that is most persistent is an ankle. It bothers me more days than not.

How was it injured? Doing laundry. I was carrying three baskets to the basement. Got to the bottom step.... and it wasn't. I stepped into space and badly twisted my ankle. The entire foot turned purple. It's the same ankle I twisted a few times trail running.

Just goes to show.... Don't do laundry.
Honestly, to date, riding motorcycles has been one of my safer activities! I think the poll is generally worthless, i think if everyone posted up what their other injuries in life have been and compare them to a set of non riding people, that we riders are just predisposed to more adventurous stuff, therefore leading to more injuries in general..with the exception of laundry, of course. That just sucks, but maybe it is karma for pissing off some lady who should have been doing it for you? J/K of course!
As stated in an earlier post, i have had some scrapes and bruises and ribs and a minor broken wrist from riding, but the other list is...
Screws in left hand-snowboarding, broken left ankle, snowboarding (in a hardshell boot even!), snapped left achilles-skateboarding, dislocated left hip-rugby, left rotator cuff-rowing rafts, cracked back-couldn't narrow it down when doc diagnosed it...
I just rack it all up to an eternal search for having a great time and living to the fullest!