ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #46
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
I've enjoyed and used the SPOT, SPOT2 and SPOT communicator. They have always tracked well and my check in messages always went through. I'm a happy spot customer who rides solo in very isolated areas, I do trust my SPOT completely to function as they have for years and lots of use.
With that said, having two way communication seems like it could be very useful when things go bad and the only reason I'm considering switching.

When sending messages or tracking, does the Inreach need to be orientated a certain way like a SPOT?

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #47
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
When sending messages or tracking, does the Inreach need to be orientated a certain way like a SPOT?

Please?

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #48
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Please?
The inReach's antenna should have a clear view of the sky according to Delorme. That being said, I have had mine perpendicular to the sky and messages went just as fast: ~ 3-10sec. Heck, I even managed to send a message while in my home office. So, my answer is, the inReach's position is not nearly as critical as the SPOT - mainly because the inReach has a better antenna.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #49
sumwon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Hurry, you can grab one for $150 at Amazon tonight!
sumwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwon View Post
Hurry, you can grab one for $150 at Amazon tonight!
That's a little better than I got from REI. I paid $249 with a $75 rebate and free shipping. Should be here tomorrow. If that $150 also qualifies for the $75 rebate, that's a smokin' deal.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #51
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Great unit...

Grab them guys, these are really nice units that work well. I used mine on the TAT this year and it worked perfectly, tracking and messages home.

Always use the good batteries that Delorme suggest, it does matter FWIW.

Nice way to track your trip, let your pals enjoy the trip and have a good record of good places you want to visit again sometime.

:
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #52
telcoman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I just got a spot 2. I am only into it for $99 once my annual sub expires so I may change to Delorme next year, depending. Maybe depending on how many text messages i send. Right now on the road I intend to send 2 "I am OK" messages per day. Besides off road stuff, I also drive an RV into southern Mexico each year. One of my concerns is being hijacked. I stuffed the spot under the dash and it still got tracked, even though I have a Truck Camper with a cab-over. I would hand it over anyway, but its comforting to know i could tell the authorities where it is. If I switch I will give the spot to my aging parents who refuse to have anything to do with a cell phone.
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #53
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel

Oddometer: 73
Anyone modified a RAM mount to work with the Auxiliary Power Adapter? Looks like it might not be possible because the battery cover might be taller.

Another 12v power alternative might be something like this chap on Expedition Portal is doing for his Spot.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Battery-Source

Also, I'm seeing a lot of comments on Canadian pricing being much higher than the US pricing. Has it changed recently? When I pull up the pricing it looks like except for the low-end plan, the Canadian pricing plans are the same price, and/or more flexible on the plans I'd expect I, and most other real users, would use. The Canadian "Suspend" feature adds a lot of flexibility while using the "Expedition" plan during long trips. At first blush I think the Canadian plan will be cheaper for the way/frequency/length of my travels. I'll put it in a spreadsheet to make sure.

Here's the data I'm looking at.

Canada http://www.inreachcanada.com/service-plans/
USA http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php

Canadian Pricing:

US Plan Pricing

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #54
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Might be clear to everyone else but not me. With ``prerecorded`` messages, are they the limited number of texts with the different plans or are the texts ones you make when using a paired device. Also for those of you who are using one of these, at 25 or 10 cents a track is that every 10 minutes or from when you turn it on until you turn it off.
Just cancelled my spot and am getting ready for my next move.

B.C.Biker screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 12:11 AM
B.C.Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #55
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

B.C.Biker, I assume you have had your questions answered by now. I just returned from a 21,000km ride using the inReach and it did it's job quite well. I do like the alternate Tracking modes (10min, 30min, 1hr, etc.) but I don't like the need to use my iPhone each time I start Tracking to use any mode other than 10min. So, I'll be picking up one of the new SE's when they ship this month. It looks like the power consumption is being better managed (or bigger battery).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #56
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,008
I am looking at the delormne package for my sons trip across the USA this summer. Thoughts? Or Montana and spot? Or Montana and inreach with android connection
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #57
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
I am looking at the delormne package for my sons trip across the USA this summer. Thoughts? Or Montana and spot? Or Montana and inreach with android connection
I'm a big fan of the inReach tech over the SPOT because of the two-way communications and overall system reliability. As for GPS, I think the Garmin Montana is the best all around unit available today for on/off-road Moto use.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
If an inmate was handy with electronics he could use that iridium transceiver chip with a blue tooth chip so it would pair up with your cell phone and convert the cell phone into a sat phone.From what I hear the iridium sat network is the best for performance anywhere.The peak current draw on that thing was 1a though-mostly .2a when transmitting.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #59
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
If an inmate was handy with electronics he could use that iridium transceiver chip with a blue tooth chip so it would pair up with your cell phone and convert the cell phone into a sat phone.
Nope, not enough throughput in that data module for voice. Iridium offers a different module for voice, which is way bigger and way more power.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #60
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
I moved from the Delorme PN60w to the Montana. Its heads and shoulders better GPS, for anything in a car or on a bike. From a backpacking standpoint the PN60 is small, lighter and more well suited.

I did like having the Spot integration with the Delorme, but i am not all that bummed about losing it.

The Montana is great!
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote