ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
skrider OP
2011 Strom

Oddometer: 35
Heartland Tour - from Canada

Hello everyone!

I'm planning my summer bike trip this year, and instead of another year in the Montana mountains, I want to see the Missouri and Mississippi country. Does anyone have thoughts on this tentative plan? Am I giving the Black Hills short-shrift? These are roughly 400-600 mile days, which is my comfortable limit on my wee strom. Any advice or warnings would be a huge help!

Day 1 - Regina - Deadwood, SD
Day 2 - Deadwood - Omaha, NB
Day 3 - Omaha - St. Louis, MO
Day 4 - day off (side trip to Paducah, KY?)
Day 5 - St. Louis - Des Moines, IO
Day 6 Des Moines - Fargo, ND
Day 7 Fargo - Regina
skrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Dustcloud9
Cloud Rider/800 511

Oddometer: 64
could get warm

Speaking for Missouri, you might want to plan your ride for June, vs July or August...it gets pretty warm here in July and August with a pretty high humidity level.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
The notion of a ride from Des Moines to Fargo is depressing.

Consider aiming a little farther east as you head north from St Louis. The northeast corner of Iowa and the southwest portion of Wisconsin have some premier riding terrain. Perhaps Dubuque or Prairie du Chien could replace Des Moines on your itinerary.

Crossing the border at Int'l Falls and going around the east side of Lake of the Woods via Sioux Narrows might also be interesting.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Buckeye Biker
Williston, ND

Oddometer: 23
I'll be making a 3-week loop of the Western US (North Dakota-Washington-California-Arizona-Colorado-South Dakota-North Dakota) in May. I may be able to adjust my route to ride with you for the start/finish in the Dakotas. When are you planning to do this?
Buckeye Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
skrider OP
2011 Strom

Oddometer: 35
I'm pretty flexible on dates, and it sounds like earlier might be better than later. I'm interested in the more easterly route headed north from St. Louis too, although it may add more time than I have.

I went to Williston/Dickson last summer and couldn't help think the longer I rode there, the more likely I was to become a hood ornament on an oilfield truck. Not a relaxing bit of highway around that part of ND!
skrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
When you know more of your schedule. I would be glad to ride you to the sights between st Louis and Paducah.

May-early June is best weather. Or September
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Buckeye Biker
Williston, ND

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrider View Post
I'm pretty flexible on dates, and it sounds like earlier might be better than later. I'm interested in the more easterly route headed north from St. Louis too, although it may add more time than I have.

I went to Williston/Dickson last summer and couldn't help think the longer I rode there, the more likely I was to become a hood ornament on an oilfield truck. Not a relaxing bit of highway around that part of ND!

I've been commuting in Williston on my V-Strom since this summer, and I've actually been surprised by the awareness of most drivers in town. Maybe there is a higher concentration of bikers here than in most towns?

The only two times I've come close to getting pancaked were in Minneapolis.

2012 V-Strom 650
Buckeye Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
JackJack
Dulce Periculum

Oddometer: 354
There is always the Great River Road. Just ride the Mississippi from Minnesota to Hannibal, Missouri, divert to the Ozarks, then head home whichever route works with your schedule. The scenery is beautiful and it would eliminate a lot of boring slab where you would be fighting a crosswind. There are also plenty of camping opportunities along the river provided by either county parks or the Army Corps of Engineers. In Missouri, the state parks are abundant. The twisty two-lanes are everywhere south of the Missouri River and there are lots of gravel roads in the woods to explore.

+1 on Missouri being extremely hot and humid in July and August.

http://www.experiencemississippirive...river-road.cfm

JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Potential IA destinations

If you are a baseball fan and you take Powerhouse's suggestion to head up toward NE IA/ SW WI you can also run past the Field of Dreams baseball field (soon to be a mutli-field baseball park) west of Dubuque near Dyersville. South of Des Moines is Madison County and if you search the Central forum I'm sure you'll find a "Bridges of Madison County" route. Some of those old bridges are pretty cool.

VO