User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Which Air filter system for 690

I plan on removing all unnecessary stuff including the air box so I'm thinking Evo2 or RR foam system. Bike is going to do 65% street and rest basic off road.
I will also replace the exhaust canister...not sure what brand yet but probably Wings or FMF and will do PC5 with proper dyno tune.
Pros & cons between the two? All input on this will be greatly aprechiated...
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Frankly, I'm on the fence here. I WAS seriously considering a Wings exhaust, but a couple of things vex me...

1 - I'm biased here as I work online - so any time I visit a website, I expect to be able to access information on a product. Their site doesn't give me what I need - emails do get responses, however, and they are great folks, so overall I'm still liking them and the product. The sound of the Wings on the 690 is music to my ears.

2 - reliability - my guts tells me the 690 is a bike close to the edge. Tinker too much (which may not take much) and you'll end up with seemingly endless tuning issues which can hurt ridability, etc. Some folks hit this wall and some don't.

Bottom line for me is I'm keen to leave the bike stock - its got loads of power as is and is agreed by most to be reliable. Gotta keep an eye on the airbox sealing properly. Removing the airbox comlpetely just ups the ante and requires your air filters are top notch. Shouldn't really be an issue with todays products, but be sure to choose wisely.

All the complaints from folks saying the 690 is unreliable got me to thinking - which is in this thread about just leaving the bike alone v. modifying it. Some interesting responses in there.

Obviously its your bike, just beware that some have followed the same path and have only reported issues and blamed the bike. Some have gone down that path and been completely fine and enjoy the added performance.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Dalmatino OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
Frankly, I'm on the fence here. I WAS seriously considering a Wings exhaust, but a couple of things vex me...

1 - I'm biased here as I work online - so any time I visit a website, I expect to be able to access information on a product. Their site doesn't give me what I need - emails do get responses, however, and they are great folks, so overall I'm still liking them and the product. The sound of the Wings on the 690 is music to my ears.

2 - reliability - my guts tells me the 690 is a bike close to the edge. Tinker too much (which may not take much) and you'll end up with seemingly endless tuning issues which can hurt ridability, etc. Some folks hit this wall and some don't.

Bottom line for me is I'm keen to leave the bike stock - its got loads of power as is and is agreed by most to be reliable. Gotta keep an eye on the airbox sealing properly. Removing the airbox comlpetely just ups the ante and requires your air filters are top notch. Shouldn't really be an issue with todays products, but be sure to choose wisely.

All the complaints from folks saying the 690 is unreliable got me to thinking - which is in this thread about just leaving the bike alone v. modifying it. Some interesting responses in there.

Obviously its your bike, just beware that some have followed the same path and have only reported issues and blamed the bike. Some have gone down that path and been completely fine and enjoy the added performance.
Thanks for the input SportsGuy...
Regarding the air box I was thinking just the opposite. A good pod filter clamps on and not much to worry about accept keeping it clean regularly. The stock exhaust is way too restrective and runs way to hot. Obviously when these items are replaced the mapping in the fuell injection has to be corected. This can be tricky with these generic maps and every bike is different. This is where I think most problems arise from.

From my experiance if a Power Commander is available (which is) and if one has an access to a good Dyno Tunner where a proper full custom map can be done there shouldn't be any issues in having a perfect running bike with verry nice hp and torque gains. From my experiance the only proper way to tune a bike is on the Dyno otherwise it will never be 100%.
I've been told elsewhere that the RR sock Airfilter produces way too much intake noise so I will go with the Evo2 without the cam. Aperantly ralley cam produces more power up top and bit less in bottom and mid, and this I dont want.

Regarding the exhaust...looks like if one needs the spark arrestor than FMF Q4 is the only choice. Somthing I need to decide on. Best part is that it's the cheapest

PS: Setting the TPS properly is a must also...out of wack TPS I think is a big contributor to a lot of these proper running issues
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
The Wings has a spark arrestor screen, it just isn't US approved.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote