Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #91
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,199
Keep 'em coming John! Stunningly beautiful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #92
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,925
Mesa Mountain.... 12,985

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com

Big_John screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 07:02 PM
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #93
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Wheeler Geologic Site

Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #94
PigPen67
Ron Grace Jr.

Oddometer: 79
Nice !....I'm on it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Are you ready for Corkscrew Gulch?... That's it !,... I'm looking that up !... that is really beautiful...Where is Corkscrew gulch ?.

Thanks for your help on the benefit ride stuff John !
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #95
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

These are all areas where we will ride in '13.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #96
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
More Rocks please!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #97
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #98
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #99
Velolion
Born on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 29
Luggage, etc

Hi! I've submitted my app and am hoping to make the cut for the 2013 ride. I live in the Colorado Springs area (actually, just a couple miles from Big John) and while I only moved here a year ago, I managed to get in a few thousand miles of pretty hard-core offroading on a KTM 690 Enduro R I purchased in June, much of it in the same areas you guys rode last year and that it looks like you'll be riding this year. A couple guys have inquired on luggage and there have been a couple good suggestions on that. One line of offroad-capable luggage that hasn't been suggested that I wanted to recommend is the stuff from Kriega. It's absolutely top-notch quality and has been designed specifically for this type of riding. Here's a pic of my bike loaded up with my stuff (and, no, I wouldn't do the CAM1000 with nearly this much luggage...I was heading out to a multi-day event where we were base camped, so I didn't have to ride with the luggage each day!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa7d2ocbapfr9sf/IMAG1664.jpg

I also have their haul loops on the front and back of my bike...great if you need to enlist the help of your buddies!

Another suggestion I'd offer is not to overpack...nobody ever wished they had a heavier bike with this kind-of riding! I've found mountaineering equipment to often be ideal for backcountry exploring on the bike...it's compact, light, and the good stuff is very durable...but it can be pretty spendy. I also often forego a tent and instead travel with a bivouac (bivvy) sack. If you're a bit claustrophobic they're not the greatest, and in that case Nemo makes a couple killer "tents" that are actually a cross between a bivvy and a tent...pack down very small and light (they don't have poles) but they still give you some room to move around in (the Gogo LE and Moto 1P are two good examples).

Last thing I'd suggest is that when riding at altitude if you've got a choice available to you fuel injection an't be beat! And in Colorado it's a necessity that you absolutely, 100%, adore rocks!

Hope to see y'all in August!

-Brian
2005 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Honda CBR600RR
Velolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #100
janliness
Battery Discharger

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velolion View Post
I also often forego a tent and instead travel with a bivouac (bivvy) sack. If you're a bit claustrophobic they're not the greatest, and in that case Nemo makes a couple killer "tents" that are actually a cross between a bivvy and a tent...pack down very small and light (they don't have poles) but they still give you some room to move around in (the Gogo LE and Moto 1P are two good examples).
Heh-heh...I remember my days of experimenting with bivvy sacks -- lasted until one backpacking trip with three straight days of rain! My one-man tent has enough room to repack the bike bags and the pole loop keeps the cold, wet tent fabric off my sleeping bag (and face!) and it's only slightly larger than a bivvy.

Nice setup on your 690 with the Kriega bags. I need to find a top bag to complement my Giant Loop. So far strapping the sleeping bag/pad/tent on back with straps works but need more rain/stream protection. I'm pretty adamant about bringing my 2"+ Thermarest Camp Rest, as I sleep lousy with the 3/4" inflatables. Do you have a local source to see the Kriegas so I can figure size?
janliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #101
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
After lugging a 5+ pound two man tent and an excellent but heavy Exped sleeping mat on the TAT I'm making an effort to cut some weight for this ride. Tonight I chumped off and ordered a one man Nemo Obi 1 one-man tent. Just a little over 2 pounds. No footprint; I'll use some house wrap instead. The Exped will stay home and a much lighter 2.5" air mat will go along. In for a penny, in for a pound, or five; ordered a Shorai battery too. That's getting almost ten pounds out of the deal, and will let me use a smaller duffel too. I try to keep all of my necessary camping stuff in the duffel so that if a quick tent pitch is needed you can just toss the duffel inside and crawl in after it before setting up housekeeping. Hopefully we won't have to pitch camp in the rain, but one never knows. I presume there are no motels up at 11,000 feet, right John?
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #102
Velolion
Born on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
Heh-heh...I remember my days of experimenting with bivvy sacks -- lasted until one backpacking trip with three straight days of rain!
Ya, you can't really air your boots out in a bivvy, either.
2005 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Honda CBR600RR
Velolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #103
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

I am trying to remember, but I think we had at least three nights in 2012 where it lightly rained/drizzled most of the night. Staying dry and having a small tent to keep you, some of your gear and your clothing/boots out of the rain is probably a really smart thing to do.

If you doubt, you might ask a certain fellow that brought his tent, but forgot the rain fly in 2012.......he was not a happy camper in a wet bag.

I have a 2-man tent that packs tiny and is plenty of room for me and my gear.....and weighs about 2lbs.

And yes.....it is amazing how much better I sleep with a 2.5" thick, air/foam sleeping pad. And don't go 'Cheap Charlie' on this little item either.....there is another guy who was heard every night....re-pumping his bargain pad....2-3 times.

My setup looks huge and bulky, but it is pretty light. The big duffel on the top has my tent, sleep pad and sleep bag. (it takes up space but weighs less than 10lbs.) I am a huge fan of the Wolfman gear, as you can see.

Despite me missing the last night and day in '12 (blown steering stem bearings), I still did over 900 miles packed this way and the bags and gear were awesome.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #104
Big_John OP
Colorado Rider

The big question for me and a bike and the '13 CAM is.......do I go even lighter? If I decide to ride the 426, it is about 70lbs lighter than the XRR Pig.

I am leaning to the 426, but I will need to re-spring and shore up the sub-frame in the rear fender area and add the big Acerbis Desert Tank to get over a 150 mile range (which is required on the CAM).

Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #105
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I have been planning on using my 25 degree Western Mountaineering bag on this trip, but then I read "-15 degrees"; is it liable to be that cold? I've been up there in July, but not the end of August, and never spent the night that high. Would those that have fill us in on what to expect? If I need a warmer bag, I want to start shopping soon. I'm sure I would be comfortable in my WM 25 to below 25 F with some extra layers.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote