Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
cbig is your xr6 plated? if not then Id say go for it...buy one that is.

both bikes are very equal, my nod goes to the xt600 if you want most reliabilty or mileage...I say this because you rarely see any topend damage or fried heads etc on he xt6, you only rarely see issues with 5th gear, whereas in some cases the xl6 like all rfvc honda engines do and sometimes suffer from this if NOT MAINTAINED WELL...

lastly like others have mentioned I see the xt as more value for the money as in most cases they are quite a bit cheaper then similar aged and condition xls

in any case go for either that is in the best condition...for the money

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
cbig OP
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 875
Thanks Christian

Yah, Bessie's plated. I had a great time ripping around Anza Borrego with it up and down the twisty grades as well as desert bashing. I put the xr400 forks on it and it runs well. Just rev'd out at 60 or so, has a lot more in it but I'm not so comfortable. If I gear it up it's too tall for the dirt. The xt seems to have a nice wide trans. THe XL is marginally wider than the XR at 2.93 vs 2.83. Guess Honda's intent was to rev it more? If I can pick up a nice XL or XT I will do so, maybe after this year I may space out the trans in the XR I have. It's a really strong runner, good compression and the trans is smoooth... so I don't want to dig into it yet. Also noticed when climbing curvey sand hills or shooting thru sand slot canyons the gear ratios in the xr are pretty much about right for what it's doing. Dunno if I could pull the higher gears, will have to rev it more if I space out the trans - in that situation only. The only real concerns I have at this time for an xt is parts and it is about 10 lbs heavier than the XL. I want to put it on the back rack of my Jeep on occasion, which limits the rack and bike to 350 lbs.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #33
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Im in a similar situation, I only ride my xr6 in dirt however its plated and I only use knobbies...I have a small 4x4 montero 1986 model but 300lbs on the end is too much even though I have added leafs and new suspension the short wheelbase wont handle the extra weight outback so Im limited to a trailer($$$) or simply replacing knobbies more often...

anyways

I think that in your situation a street oriented xt6 or xl6 would work great with and all DIRT xr600...

THEY ARE ALL SIMILAR so you might not experience such a diffrerence between them, I wouldnt if for example my xt6 would of had full knobbies and revalved suspension...until the most aggressive type of riding.

I think in a very practical world where money wasnt an issue a vstrom or 08 and up klr650 that had some engine mods done to it woukd be the perfect match for a dirt only xr6

again just my cents

enjoy all bikes is my modo! jajajaja

christian
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #34
cbig OP

Christian,

Thanks - sounds like the xt600 is the Huckleberry for street easy dirt, or get off my ass and either open up my fine running xr600 or find another to build with the right tranny. The XL600 looks on a spreadsheet about as rev'd out as the xr600 - gear spread xr600= 2.83, the XL600 = 2.93. You really can't beat the xr600 off road for dependability, weight and general use, IF you are willing to change the sprockets. I've had some luck single tracking it with a 14/48 combo but man it was singing when I had to get it on the hwy or long road service.Drop the counter down one works well in general, but dropping the front two or equivalent front back combo 15/45 makes it a decent street performer but man the rock hopping sucks! Doing so I guess creates an XL? Everybody wants that one bike, eh? Had the heavy stuff before, te610, drz400, even a ktm 950. (Back in the day when money was no object!) These days simple, reliable is more important than performance.

More I dig into this the more it makes sense to space out the trans on the XR600 when the time comes. I understand from reading the trans really isn't doable unless I get one from a XR650L because of how the cogs mate. Maybe either when this one dies or I will find another as a project. I've got buddies with 40k+ on XR600's (with old school mechanical odometers to prove it) Mine doesn't use a drop of oil and the compression is so strong you can stand on the kicker and no movement at TDC without decomp. I took it up Montezuma grade (curvy desert mountain road) and pulling the hill up, doing the twisties, I'll be damned if I could've gone much faster safely on my xb12ss road bike. These are that good when you want them to be. (d606 tires) Just don't want to grind it up.

Seems if I get the XL/XT I'll be happier on road with the trans but bitching about the suspension Can't please everyone,
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
Bocacha
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
It's no lemon. The KLR motor is probably the weakest modern single ever produced. It wasn't built very aggressive so it just doesn't make any power. I think it's because it was never intended to be raced so it was mainly designed as a reliable street motor.
Excuse me Sir, have you really ride an KL600? Maybe is not the fastest, but weakest?
1993 DR 650
1994 KLR 600
Bocacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #36
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

yup

the 600klr had more power than the later year 650, same goes for the dr600...much much better power wise...

not to mention kickstart and not ASSSSSSSS heavy...

however out of the 3 mentioned in the magazine it was probably the weakest...despite it being the most MODERN at that time go figure
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
cbig OP

ok finally got to ride an xt600

Seat..very nice. Did I say nice!?! Better than an xr. Went down like this. First xt I saw guy couldn't keep it running. He did some carb work to it. Nice condition otherwise. Second bike I rode had something wrong w decompression system. Hard to start big time. Steering bearings shot and so owner tightened down so hard it hardly turned. Bit of a roach but plenty of power nice transmission ratios.

Seems more robust and solid built than my xr. Thicker brake rotors, kick stand mounts.. little things. More comfy. What I don't understand is how do u clear it if flooded? No decompression handle. What if the cable breaks from kicker to head? Honda has redundancy.

I had great luck in finding relatively clean, unmolested xrs. Hopefully something nice will pop up at a deal price.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #38
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

very accurate observations...

about the kicker, to me the xt was the easiest kickbike to start ever...provided the carb was unmolested...it never bothered me one bit...again I didnt ride offroad much on it, as opposed to my xr.

you again are right honda is famously redundant...decomp on bars and autodecomp on camshaft just an example

cheers

buy whatever is the best deal/value...being brand sided doesnt count for much in my book...more about the deal and value you get from a good running bike that at least has been mechanically maintained...

when looking for xts on the market here are a coupke of things to look at...

the front brake pistons like to seize...mine froze on my second day...

check the external oil tank...they wet sump famoulsy, this is easily fixed by installing new seals in the tank to engine hose.

check the rear shock..they are not adjustable per say and can get boingy.

check the kicker makes no sounds when going down...I remember unlike the xrs that yamaha uses some nylon gears, I forget if its the idling or kicker gear/s

oh and if it whines in 5th gear walk away...

thats about it!

good luck

christian
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
cbig OP

yep

The one that started, but didn't stay running started easy enough. The one that stayed running had something wrong with the gear for decomp. Needed to be jumped at full compression to work. No good.

If I come across a nice one I will pick one up. Either way. The XL looks a little strung out comparatively at hwy speed. Same trans as my xr so sprocket gearing gets you either the street OR the hwy.

Might just open up Bessie and redo the tranny - will at least know what's going on with it.