Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1576
GoinRidin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Fuel pump? Bad gas, electrical short on the left hand side of the steering head, key switch contacts corroded. Could be alot of things at 110 miles your tank is getting empty. Need more info.
I've had a pretty reliable fuel Light but that is certainly a possibility I don't want to overlook.
I dielectric greased every connection below tank and seat but not under the headlight. (oops)
fuel pump electrics was replaced with Bean's I don't know how reliable they are and if I should suspect failure from them? I haven't read of failures. Ugh...I HATE electrical Grimlins because I feel like I'm blindfolded diagnosing those problems!. thanks for the input.
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #1577
muscly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm65 View Post
hi guys

for my SE ,do you think it's possible to mount rear tires in size 130/90-18 (in place of 140/80-18)

(in this dimension tire are much cheaper, in France Michelin desert or Dunlop D908 140/80-18 is 140€ and in 130/90-18 is 80€!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, nearly the price of front tires)

Thanks

In the Winter i use Trelleborg studded tire With 7mm studs. This tires are only in 110 wide. standard MX tiresize. Works great, no problem.

Because 99,999% of the earth,
are not pavement.
muscly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #1578
whitehaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
camel toe

I have fitted a Camel Toe sidestand plate but now the extra weight incurred on the end of the sidestand makes it bounce around at a unacceptable level,has anyone had similar problem and found a fix?
If I cant solve this I will remove it and count my losses and revert back to my tried and proven sidestand plate-a squashed coke can carried on me and placed under the sidestand as needed.

On the subject of tyre width a mate has a 2010 990 Adventure [comes with a 150 tyre and has more weight and more power than a SE] he has done 2 trips into the outback using narrower than standard rear tyres and these are the results.
Trip 1 Dunlop 606 130 x 90 rear on standard 4.25 inch rim he got 4000 klms.
Trip 2 Dunlop 606 130 x 90 rear on replacement 2.5 inch rim he got 3000 klms.
Both trips to same place,same tyre pressures[30 psi] and carrying same gear [weight] and no punctures.
So a 130 rear will even fit on a wide 4.25 rim let alone the 2.5 rim on a SE and the narrower the rim the more the tyre wears,this is why I have a 3.5 excel which will be fitted on the rear of my SE in the next 3 weeks.
I am not out to start a tyre thread just answering a question with an example as to weather a 130 can be used on a 2.5 inch rim to keep the cost down.
whitehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #1579
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I welded 3mm steel plate onto sidestand to increase footpint. Costed maybe 25€ including sandblasting and powdercoating sidestand again. No problems since with soft terrain nor sidestand springs.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #1580
jm65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
ok thanks guys for the answers (tires size)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #1581
GoinRidin
Adventurer

For you that have had contamination of coolant in oil. .. how "wavy" do you expect the oil filter to be vs just swelling from oil?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #1582
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinRidin View Post
For you that have had contamination of coolant in oil. .. how "wavy" do you expect the oil filter to be vs just swelling from oil?
That's way too wavy for a normal oil filter. You've got some water/coolant in there. There's some possibility the moisture is coming from condensation, since it's winter especially, but my guess is the waterpump.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #1583
GoinRidin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
That's way too wavy for a normal oil filter. You've got some water/coolant in there. There's some possibility the moisture is coming from condensation, since it's winter especially, but my guess is the waterpump.
I was about to post that First start up after oil change only it ran back to normal...so I guess I should change the waterpump seals AGAIN, I changed them with the CJ designs kit with hardened shaft but I guess I may have damaged a seal putting it together. It was only 2000 miles ago. If I was to buy JUST the seals are they KTM or did CJ designs spec out some seals?

Edit: new seal on the way and Impeller in case I break mine removing it.

GoinRidin screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:25 PM
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #1584
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
I was about to post that First start up after oil change only it ran back to normal...so I guess I should change the waterpump seals AGAIN, I changed them with the CJ designs kit with hardened shaft but I guess I may have damaged a seal putting it together. It was only 2000 miles ago. If I was to buy JUST the seals are they KTM or did CJ designs spec out some seals?

Edit: new seal on the way and Impeller in case I break mine removing it.
They're KTM seals. Is this the first oil change since the WP rebuild? If it is, I'd suspect a nick'ed seal. If not, it's kind of an odd time for it to start leaking.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #1585
michaelmy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
And don't forget to ride them...
Mine haven't been ridden for a month or two.....
& Long Distance trials www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk & http://www.eventdirectory.org.uk/
michaelmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #1586
GoinRidin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
They're KTM seals. Is this the first oil change since the WP rebuild? If it is, I'd suspect a nick'ed seal. If not, it's kind of an odd time for it to start leaking.
Seal will Come today. I also was notified by PM that there have been some premature failures 2/2 to thin hardening process in the shaft. so I'll check close.

BUT my main question. I was PLANNING on laying bike on side (have fresh oil and filter) and remove cover of water pump and try to change JUST seal since bearings and shaft are ~1200miles old. and assume I nicked the seal on install.

Question is here;
Has Anyone removed the seal alone from the outside without removing the pump and using the shaft and c-clip to press it out as I did when replacing EVERYTHING?

I hope this is a simple $8 repair only. I don't want more down time.
But I'll fix it right if necessary.

Thanks

JT
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #1587
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehaven View Post
I have fitted a Camel Toe sidestand plate but now the extra weight incurred on the end of the sidestand makes it bounce around at a unacceptable level,has anyone had similar problem and found a fix?
I had this problem on a vintage scoot. I just found another smaller diameter kick stand spring from a salvaged bike and added it to the stock spring.
-jw

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #1588
RibRoy
RibRoy

Oddometer: 52
Front fender

Hi, Anyone that can help in identifying this fender?

http://www.ktmtwins.com/brembo-march...conversion-kit

Thanks.
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #1589
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:

Question is here;
Has Anyone removed the seal alone from the outside without removing the pump and using the shaft and c-clip to press it out as I did when replacing EVERYTHING?

I hope this is a simple $8 repair only. I don't want more down time.
But I'll fix it right if necessary.

Thanks

JT

It can be done, I saw a photo of someone putting two self tappers in and using the heads to pull it out, don’t go to deep as you will damage the bearing seal. I’d be tempted to make 4 small holes with an owl and thread some wire though and out, so two loops and pull it out.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #1590
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy View Post
Hi, Anyone that can help in identifying this fender?

http://www.ktmtwins.com/brembo-march...conversion-kit

Thanks.
It's 950 smt one see here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ktm...w=1024&bih=673

950superenduro.com For those who own the best bike!
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote