User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #91
kaspilo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
BMW reliability?... yeah, right!

Here we go again... pulled the carbutaros off my F650, what a PIA!... had to dismantle most of the bike just ot get to the carbs. When going dirt roads I like simple, repairable, things such as, carburators, chain drive, etc..

My next bike will be either a Honda (dr650) or a Kawasaki (KLR) or a KTM.... BMW's are a money pit!
kaspilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #92
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspilo View Post

Here we go again... pulled the carbutaros off my F650, what a PIA!... had to dismantle most of the bike just ot get to the carbs. When going dirt roads I like simple, repairable, things such as, carburators, chain drive, etc..

My next bike will be either a Honda (dr650) or a Kawasaki (KLR) or a KTM.... BMW's are a money pit!
Honda DR650 huh? Well good luck with that. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #93
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Get a 1200GS

Quote:

Not mine. One of the things I like about my '05 1200GS is that it is easy to work on. I can get to everything I need without much drama. Changing the air filter requires the gas tank to be removed. Sounds nasty - but it takes all of 10 minutes. Once that's off, the ABS module is right their for it's bi-annual fluid change. The heads are nicely arranged for valve adjusts. When my clutch slave cylinder died (yes - one of my two hardware failures in 24k miles), it was a simple swap job.

As a plus, Jim VonBaden shows you how to do everything for $25.

Lots of bitching about these bikes - but my personal experience has been fantastic. When I rust this one out by riding year-round on salted Michigan roads - I'll get another one.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #94
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,749
Quote:

Wrong forum. This is the BIG GS forum, not the 650 forum. That is beasts.

The R1100/1150/1200 is much easier to work on IMHO!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #95
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:

WTF is this Honda DR you speak of? Ummm..KTM, easy to work on...I take it you've never seen or worked on one..

4 posts and you come in the wrong thread and tell everyone you hate your BMW, gotta admit, you got sand.

Tell me about that 30 horsepower adv bike in the KLR..and the doo hicky
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #96
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
If its mechanical, it's gonna break! I agree with Mr. Smallberries, I also ride an '05 R1200GS. Simple bike, simple access. No matter what you buy your going to need parts, service, and eventually trail repairs.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #97
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
The biggest cost to my bike (2009 gsa) are things like rotors, breakpads, shocks, tires, clutch in the future maby? and stuff that i break from dropping the bike.

Other than that, oil, filters and so on are just costs like on any other bike.

Are bmw expencive? they are more expencive than my previous bikes, not because they are but because i drive a lot more than when i had a diffrent brand. and that is because they are thrustworthy.
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #98
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
I have a toyhauler and am getting ready to head S by SW for a few months. My original plan was to tote my ST1300 for two up 2-3 day trips and my DRZ for one up exploring. But that is straining the wt capacity of my TH. I next thought I would just use my KLX650c for both...but one ride 2-up put paid to that idea...

I was pondering my delimna perusing the local paper when I found an 05 R1200GS w/ 18,000 mis for $7,500. I looked at it and rode it and looked at the maintenance papers. A couple of things. It sat outside for a few months when the owner was going thru a divorce so it has some rust on some bolt heads. It has not had the 18,000 mntnce check done. I was told to put the bike up on it's centerstand and check for lateral play in the rear wheel which I did and it had none. I rode it and it seemed fine.

I have kinda kept an eye on GS's for a while and this seems a bargain. The guys is unable to ride any more due to health (he has been putting off selling the bike hoping he would get better). A friend has a 04 GS with 104K miles and has had zero probs...

Just a little validation here and I'm going to get it....

OBX-RIDER screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:24 AM
OBX-RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #99
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,512
You need to factor in the internet forum factor. Small problems can seem wide spread when maybe they aren't.

If you want a low cost bike look elsewhere. The BMW is a fun can do machine. My 08 had a fuel strip replaced under warranty and my FD wore out outside warranty. The FD issue pisses me off but I still like my machine. I wish BMW would fix the problem but they are extremely arrogant and refuse to address the issue.

My friend's brother has a F800GS. The forks are junk and not improvable. I hear a bunch of other parts are painted pig crap too. That is a shame. I used to think all BMW stuff was good quality but marketing and accounting must design and build machines these days.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #100
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:

What a troll, a F650 is most likely a single, unless it is a 2009 or later twin, in either case neither has carbs and are fuel injected. Go tell lies somewhere else.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #101
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
What a troll, a F650 is most likely a single, unless it is a 2009 or later twin, in either case neither has carbs and are fuel injected. Go tell lies somewhere else.
I had a look at his post history. It's a "Funduro" from the late '90s. I don't know a lot about them, but it's a thumper so IF it's carb'd, there's only one so he couldn't possibly have "pulled the carbutaros off my F650". A friend's wife has one with over 100k miles on it. Very dependable for the 7-8 years they've owned it.

So the troll doesn't like his 15 year old bike because it requires maintanance. Huh...go figure.

WTF is "carbutaros" anyway? Sounds like mexican food
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #102
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
I have a toyhauler and am getting ready to head S by SW for a few months. My original plan was to tote my ST1300 for two up 2-3 day trips and my DRZ for one up exploring. But that is straining the wt capacity of my TH. I next thought I would just use my KLX650c for both...but one ride 2-up put paid to that idea...

I was pondering my delimna perusing the local paper when I found an 05 R1200GS w/ 18,000 mis for $7,500. I looked at it and rode it and looked at the maintenance papers. A couple of things. It sat outside for a few months when the owner was going thru a divorce so it has some rust on some bolt heads. It has not had the 18,000 mntnce check done. I was told to put the bike up on it's centerstand and check for lateral play in the rear wheel which I did and it had none. I rode it and it seemed fine.

I have kinda kept an eye on GS's for a while and this seems a bargain. The guys is unable to ride any more due to health (he has been putting off selling the bike hoping he would get better). A friend has a 04 GS with 104K miles and has had zero probs...

Just a little validation here and I'm going to get it....
An 05 R1200GS with those miles sounds like a good bike to me. Don't sweat the maintenance as it is very simple. Rust, no biggie. Price seems good to me, so long as it has some panniers, drop $500 if not.

Jim
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #103
kaspilo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
My wrong on the "Honda" DR650... and yes, it is a f650 funduro, carburated. I'm a short legged guy and I can only ride low bikes. I also have a 1100rt and 1200c (both fuel injected) that are easier to upkeep and repair. Don't mistake, and lets call it as is, I like to ride BMW's, but they require a hell of a maintenance and a budget. Maybe it is because I ride them hard (>30,000 miles/year), and I take the funduro through very challenging dirt roads and trails... for sure I don't baby them!

I have a couple of riding buddies with japanesse bikes, that the only thing thy do is fill-up with gas and change the oil every 3-4k miles. That's not my case...!
kaspilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #104
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
My wrong on the "Honda" DR650... and yes, it is a f650 funduro, carburated. I'm a short legged guy and I can only ride low bikes. I also have a 1100rt and 1200c (both fuel injected) that are easier to upkeep and repair. Don't mistake, and lets call it as is, I like to ride BMW's, but they require a hell of a maintenance and a budget. Maybe it is because I ride them hard (>30,000 miles/year), and I take the funduro through very challenging dirt roads and trails... for sure I don't baby them!

I have a couple of riding buddies with japanesse bikes, that the only thing thy do is fill-up with gas and change the oil every 3-4k miles. That's not my case...!
You might want to look around, my sigline, and see that maintenance on the R1100/1150/1200 is really not bad. Oil changes every 6K, check the valves, change the trans and FD fluid every 24K. Not much else but stuff that all bikes need, like brake fluid changes and the usual little stuff.

Jim
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #105
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,358
Quote:

My next bike will be (snip) a KTM.... BMW's are a money pit!
Ever change oil on a KTM thumper? Rhetorical question. You haven't, or you wouldn't be comparing to F650 maintenance.
Ever see one with 50k miles on it? Yeah...niether has anybody else
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote