Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #72811
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
So about those darn simple repairs...I bought my first bike, a decent condition DR 3 weeks ago, and dropped it on some wet grass a few days ago. Handlebars bent, got some ordered, etc. The worrying thing is now my chain makes a fun buzzing sound as if it's rubbing something. Truth be told, I never looked at my chain before it made annoying sounds, but now that I do when I'm rolling I notice it seemed to have a fair bit of play both up and down and side to side. When stopped, I can touch the chain in the middle of the sprockets to the top of what maybe is called the swing arm? I honestly don't know the name of most parts...

I tightened and lubed it, thinking it was just too much slack. And wouldn't you know it the buzzing just got louder. I is confused. Sure I could take it to the service center, but if I can't do the simplest of effing repairs, why did I buy a DR? So I turn to you good people. Also, if you can recommend what sort of service manual I can buy that will edumacate me as an absolute noob, I'm all ears.

It's the chain guide, noisy and annoying but nothing to worry about. You'll want to remove the top roller before the chain removes it for you. Set the chain slack according to the manual and keep in mind a tad loose is better than too tight.

The bike really only requires simple maintenance and will be a good one for you to learn on. There's an online service manual that I'm sure someone will give you the link too or pick up the paper one for hours of fun bathroom reading.

Carl Childers screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 05:12 PM Reason: ?
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #72812
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The EPA publishes all of the bikes and their current emissions versus the requirements. It's probably been six months or a year ago that I looked at it but the DR650 was no where near the limits. The carbed DR650 could go years without an upgrade to EFI. The EFI issue comes up year after year with people wondering if it's the last year of the DR650. If it is the last year, it has nothing to do with the US EPA.
GOOD! I hope it sticks around in its current form then! :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #72813
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 619
Thanks for this information!

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The EPA publishes all of the bikes and their current emissions versus the requirements. It's probably been six months or a year ago that I looked at it but the DR650 was no where near the limits. The carbed DR650 could go years without an upgrade to EFI. The EFI issue comes up year after year with people wondering if it's the last year of the DR650. If it is the last year, it has nothing to do with the US EPA.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #72814
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 619
FI problems just buy a V Strom 1000 !!!!!

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I haven't seen EFI ruin a bike yet. I'm sure they've got some more modern suspension sitting around from another bike that they could pull out of the parts bin without adding a ton to the cost.
Also, a DRZ 450 would be a bike I'd like to add to my garage.
DR650 '07

TRAVELGUY screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 05:28 PM
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #72815
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
FI problems just buy a V Strom 1000 !!!!!

TravelGuy
Yeah, but then you have the FI problems of a DL1000.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #72816
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Suzuki would have to give me some serious motivation to buy a brand new one. If they made something that competed with the BMW Serato with FI, more body protection, and better highway manners, I might be tempted to buy another one.
The fact they do none of this is what appeals to me. KISS
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #72817
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
I had no intention of keeping mine when I bought it for 2k, loved my 919 and thought I could flip the DR and make some cash; now here I am, 2 years later and constantly amazed at how versatile this bike is with a few tweaks to take it any direction. I can't see the benefit of EFI, especially after installing the pumper carb; throttle response is right there, and warm up time is almost non-existent, even on cooler mornings I barely have time to get my gloves on before coming off of the choke. The only complaint I have about the DR is during extended highway travel, the wind tends to blow my knees away from the tank; I've never experienced this on any other bike, thinking of using some sort of tank bags to break the wind. I don't use any type of windshield, would rather have my head in undisturbed air.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #72818
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,370
A Seratto ? You gotta be joking. Overpriced garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #72819
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
If anyone has a set of black side panels and black rear fender for sale please PM me. Thanks!
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #72820
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Welcome to the wonderful world of the DR650.

Quote:
So about those darn simple repairs...I bought my first bike, a decent condition DR 3 weeks ago, and dropped it on some wet grass a few days ago. Handlebars bent, got some ordered, etc. The worrying thing is now my chain makes a fun buzzing sound as if it's rubbing something.
What year is your DR, how many miles? Did you drop the bike on the left or right side? Since it's unusual to bend anything that's related to the chain, chances are the bike was buzzing before you dropped it. It's simple enough to get down on your knees next to the bike and follow the chain around its diameter, look for something touching.
Quote:
Truth be told, I never looked at my chain before it made annoying sounds, but now that I do when I'm rolling I notice it seemed to have a fair bit of play both up and down and side to side. When stopped, I can touch the chain in the middle of the sprockets to the top of what maybe is called the swing arm? I honestly don't know the name of most parts...
The swingarm is the aluminum thingy running from your frame to the rear axle. Chain: There is supposed to be a fair bit of play, both up-n-down and side-to-side. There is a rubber piece running along the bottom of the swingarm, you should be able to push the chain up and touch it; at the rearmost end of the rubber.

Quote:
I tightened and lubed it, thinking it was just too much slack. And wouldn't you know it the buzzing just got louder.
Loosen it back up. The worst thing for your driveline is a chain that's too tight, don't make adjustments that you don't understand.
Quote:
I is confused.
According to my ex-wife, so is I.
Quote:
Sure I could take it to the service center, but if I can't do the simplest of effing repairs, why did I buy a DR? So I turn to you good people. Also, if you can recommend what sort of service manual I can buy that will edumacate me as an absolute noob, I'm all ears.
How old are you, any mechanical experience (you know, are ya a tool guy)? Fill in your profile (country or state, guys warm up to ya quicker), learn how to post pics (everybody loves pics), don't touch anything until you post a pic and ask what you need to do. It's mid winter, everyone is bored and looking for a new kid to teach how to do things right.

How to post a photo:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Everyone here wants to help you, don't run away.

This is what you do NOT want your chain to look like, post a pic of yours.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 07:57 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #72821
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
heres another good thing about the DRs smooth engine: makes a reasonable video platform

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #72822
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
Some good stuff there. Really like the underwater shot on the crossing.

Re: Maintenance - I buy a shop manual for anything motorized that I own. And I learn a ton here.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #72823
crazy88
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
How old are you, any mechanical experience (you know, are ya a tool guy)? Fill in your profile (country or state, guys warm up to ya quicker), learn how to post pics (everybody loves pics), don't touch anything until you post a pic and ask what you need to do
Sound advice for a 25 year old who has very little mechanical experience, and plenty of mechanical snafus to overcome.

Dropped it on the right side, wasn't going too fast but definitely got a little overcocky in my abilities. I'll take off the top roller as Carl suggested, and surely loosen the chain back up. Probably worth picking up the manual, too... I had the bike checked out by a mechanic before I bought it, the chain's not the newest but it does look good, def better in the sprockets than in the photos you put up. Thanks, and I'll be sure to post pictures for every problem!
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #72824
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Simple Repairs

Quote:
So about those darn simple repairs...I bought my first bike, a decent condition DR 3 weeks ago, and dropped it on some wet grass a few days ago. Handlebars bent, got some ordered, etc. The worrying thing is now my chain makes a fun buzzing sound as if it's rubbing something. Truth be told, I never looked at my chain before it made annoying sounds, but now that I do when I'm rolling I notice it seemed to have a fair bit of play both up and down and side to side. When stopped, I can touch the chain in the middle of the sprockets to the top of what maybe is called the swing arm? I honestly don't know the name of most parts...

I tightened and lubed it, thinking it was just too much slack. And wouldn't you know it the buzzing just got louder. I is confused. Sure I could take it to the service center, but if I can't do the simplest of effing repairs, why did I buy a DR? So I turn to you good people. Also, if you can recommend what sort of service manual I can buy that will edumacate me as an absolute noob, I'm all ears.
Welcome crazy88 to the DR world. Ask and you shall receive!

http://www.procycle.us/
has loads of info, parts, service manual and helpful hints.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32
Go here for most all the info you may need.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #72825
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
"Any reason NOT to buy a new one? Didn't think so."

huh?

i can't think of a single reason for you to buy a new one! imagine how nice you could make yours if you took only half the money a new one costs and used it to trick yours out...

doug s.
Here in Oz they're asking almost as much for a second hand one as a new one. I paid $6k for a black 2008 with about 3000kms last year (haggled down from $6.5k) New ones (with a 2yr warranty) were only $7400 at the time.

I love my bush pig but now realise it was used for 3 years on the run-in oil. Kinda wish I'd bought new, but neither of the available colours appeals to me.

Chill screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 09:16 PM
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote