Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #10516
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I am surprised the cars don't carry even small portable DC cable winches and lightweight ground anchors. The inflatable bag lift looks quite useful too. Is it just weight why they don't or are there any rules against them?
I'm not sure a small winch (if you mean the kind fitted to ATVs for example) would be much use, while the size and weight of the kind fitted to a typical Jeep would be very cumbersome and heavy to mount on the vehicle (and you wouldn't want it attached all the time on a race car, so it would have to sit in a cradle somewhere inside) - and to make it really useful, you'd need fixing points for it on the front, rear and each side of the vehicle - not really realistic for something that on the whole, you'd hope not to have to use at all... typically a pair of sand ladders and a shovel will get you going if you get stuck in soft sand/mud, it is only in a roll over situation that you'd need additional help.

As I say, I've seen these bags used to right vehicles that have fallen on their side, and it really is the quickest and most efficient way of doing it (the emergency services also use them) - they pack down small, and weight very little, and I would imagine a number of the teams do carry them for just such circumstances. They also have the benefit of not causing much [more] body damage, as the load is spread across a large and relatively soft surface...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #10517
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post
That Carb is currently in the Dakar. The guy on the KTM 150 is using it.
From what I read, he couldn't quite get it sorted and switched back to his old carb after the first day.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #10518
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
Originally Posted by SigPig
That Carb is currently in the Dakar. The guy on the KTM 150 is using it.
From what I read, he couldn't quite get it sorted and switched back to his old carb after the first day.
Correct. Luis had to go back to his old carb. Sad because it took them about 1 1/2 days to make that carb "fit" on his bike. Then after first day of race, removed it. If I remember right, it caused a loss of power. Not worth the gain in fuel savings
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #10519
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

As I say, I've seen these bags used to right vehicles that have fallen on their side, and it really is the quickest and most efficient way of doing it (the emergency services also use them) - they pack down small, and weight very little, and I would imagine a number of the teams do carry them for just such circumstances. They also have the benefit of not causing much [more] body damage, as the load is spread across a large and relatively soft surface...

Jx
I should get one of those to help me get out of bed in the mornings.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #10520
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316

8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #10521
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
I needed a rest day. Took off for a ride and thought about Dakar. I missed keeping up with the Firehose, but it was great riding in the Georgia mountains today.

Happy to hear about Kurt getting his time back.
JC did a fantastic job yesterday!

MY WIFE LISTENED TO PYNDON's TOP 10 CALL WITH ME!
(She was excited, but still giving me crap about being obsessed with Dakar.)

RG is a pro when it comes to media. He plays the game very well, which I do respect. Even if he is over the top most of the time.

Ooooo....happy "Shoestring" found some help!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #10522
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson View Post
From the Dakar FB:
Quote:
Dakar - The Ultimate Rally Race
★ Results - Stage 8 - Salta > Tucuman ★

Awesome landscapes today, but tough meteorological conditions for all the competitors:

Bike:
1. BARREDA BORT (ESP)
2. CAMPBELL (USA) - 00:07:04
3. JAKES (SVK) - 00:07:57

Quad:
1. VAN BILJON (ZAF)
2. PATRONELLI (ARG)- 00:01:49
3. PALMA (CHL) - 00:02:38

Cars > Red Flag, the race direction has decided to stop the competition and neutralise competitors at CP2, 86 km into the stage. More information on www.dakar.com
Awesome catch, bwilson! And that is what makes this place incredible, everyone sharing the same passion and pitching in, from the crustiest old timer, to the newest inmates.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #10523
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Your assumption is wrong. As per the quotes at my site, they were 100% alone. Nobody was out there to assist. They were the second car after Peterhansel and before the stage got called off, so nobody coming through behind them at all. Assistance from ASO = out of rally. So they did it alone.
Thanks for the clarification. Glad to see they stuck with it and managed to get themselves out of a serious bind.
ironmtnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #10524
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,776
Thanks for the info, Banjo.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #10525
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Caught up to the F5irehose and associated threads early today, watched all the downloaded broadcasts and so felt satiated/blown-out for the moment.
Lots of interesting machinations in the ASO camp. Went out in my cold garage and worked on my Adv 990S for some away-from-desk time and let my mind take a rest for a few hours. Too icy to ride.

Back to work tomorrow and playing catch-up every day.

ADV needs a F5irehose emoticon.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #10526
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Dave from Rally Management Services (GSNorCal on ADV) chats with us from the rest day bivouac for the stories on Kevin Muggleton's abbreviated run, updates on crowd favorite Luis on the 150cc 2 stroke, and what it's like to participate not as a rider, but on the team side of things (a perspective that may be more realistic for many of us).

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule for us, Dave!

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D11.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #10527
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Have been catching up all day being away yesterday, seems that I have missed something.
Really loving the great pictures and stories here, and sometimes a conspiracy theory

I hope the riders are getting enough rest for tomorrows stage, as it will be a long one if it isn't shortened

First there is 176km connection, follow by refuel and start of special @ 07:40 local

WP1 probably together with CP1 @ 39km
WP2 @ 61km
WP3 @ 95km
CP2 @ 121km
WP4 together with CP2 or @ 131km
WP5 @ 172km
WP6 start neutralisation and refuel @ 226km
Refuel @ 348km
WP7 and end neutralisation @ 353km
WP8 @ 377km
WP9 @ 404km
WP10 @ 430km
WP11 @ 461km
WP12 @ 487km
CP3 @ 499km
WP13 @ 515km
Finish @ 593km

This followed by another 83km connection for a total of 852km
That's 246 km after the mid stage refuel to the end of the special, longer than the HRC has ever gone on 1 tank of fuel!,

Maybe the terrain will be kinder that the Peruvian dunes and allow the bike a 250km range, must be sweating a bit though
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #10528
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
No no you misunderstood my post as sarcastic - I genuinely wonder if the factory boys had it all planned out. It's a racing tactic which I would have never thought of or heard of before, yet it makes perfect sense.
A just in case option; king to knight's bishop's 3 or something like that, but will they manage a checkmate
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #10529
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Coma on TVE spanish tv:

I didn't expect to see Casteau leading. But he's doing a solid race, making the most of the mistakes the others did. He didn't see it coming either, I think.

I think the winner will be one of the top 5 at the moment.

The big question mark is Faria. For me it's the moment for let him go. It's the KTM rider with better possibilities. The KTM decision is very hard.

I think that all the top 5 riders will try to finish with the first engine.

We should't forget Chaleco. We are going to Chile, which he knows very well and I thing he can get his time back.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #10530
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Any suggestion how I can get this to play? Click "pod" and nothing. Click the download, new window opens but it does nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Dave from Rally Management Services (GSNorCal on ADV) chats with us from the rest day bivouac for the stories on Kevin Muggleton's abbreviated run, updates on crowd favorite Luis on the 150cc 2 stroke, and what it's like to participate not as a rider, but on the team side of things (a perspective that may be more realistic for many of us).

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule for us, Dave!

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D11.mp3