Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,768
single wheel trailers does it matter if theres no shock?

single wheel trailers does it matter if there's no shock if you towing with a scooter that can't go more then 45 mph? I ve seen people build them both ways. Left me wondering with shock its a smother ride but since your going not all that fast does it matter? It s just for gas can and a few things
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
The shock is used to keep the tire in contact with the road. Without a spring or shock the tire can (and will) begin bouncing uncontrollably even after a small bump in the road. There is a fun factor to see a trailer with its tires bouncing in rythem from side to side going down the road. Looking like something running along behind rather than roiling.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Some spring systems are naturally damped and don't need external dampers.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Some spring systems are naturally damped and don't need external dampers.
Yes but you're not going to find one on a gas/cargo trailer pulled behind a single track vehicle.

To the OP the danger really lies in having the tire lose contact with the road around a corner and flying wide -- taking the rear of your scooter with it.

I'm sure there are a ton of basic and cheap oil-filled shocks out there you could use to add just a bit of damping. You might even find a way to use a steering damper or something as a shock. Can you share any pics or descriptions of your trailer?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I'm sure there are a ton of basic and cheap oil-filled shocks out there you could use to add just a bit of damping. You might even find a way to use a steering damper or something as a shock. Can you share any pics or descriptions of your trailer?
How about two lighter springs, mounted coaxially, with non-complimentary harmonics?
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
I built one without a shock and have pulled it thousands of miles with no problems.

I have probably hit 80 why pulling this. A friend followed me to Duluth Mn once and said he was surprised at how well it tracked.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
I originally used a big cooler for the compartment but the insulation used to much of the space so I built a nice wooden box with 1/4 " plywood reinforced with 3/4" pine. Got a lot of thumbs up out on the interstate from people who I am sure thought it was full of beer.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
no shock

For a long time motorcycles had no springs or shocks!!! My Harley had a rigid rear end!
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
fullmetalscooter OP

Thanks for this info yet when your not going to be going beyond 45 mph doesn't the danger from losing contact become less of a factor . Eg the faster you go the less time you have to react to problems.. it's kind of like the issue of using a stock trailer hitch on a bike it's dangerous in the right conditions because you don't have the up and down combine with the side to side you need .
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
fullmetalscooter OP

Why did this get moved here since it's not where I posted it? Rather it was where it was then here .
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
single wheel trailers does it matter if there's no shock if you towing with a scooter that can't go more then 45 mph? I ve seen people build them both ways. Left me wondering with shock its a smother ride but since your going not all that fast does it matter? It s just for gas can and a few things
I pulled an 80 pound BOB Yak single wheel trailer behind my bicycle for 14k miles, exceeding 45mph many, many times. Never had any issues with it, and it has no shock. With something really light, like a gas can, I guess I could see it bouncing around maybe a little more.

All the same, a mountain bike shock seems like it could be a good swap-in. Some of the ones for downhill bikes are very fancy and widely adjustable. Just a thought...
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote