Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 180
I've owned/ridden one for a couple of months now.

Great machine.

I didn't mention it because it's above the OP's price range.

Dave
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I just purchased the new Honda CRF250L, what a great bike, water cooled, and fuel injection, at $4499 what a steal.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
why? for $194 you can put a kick starter on the DRZ and have e start.

Id go with the DRZ, easier maint. than a KTM, reliable, inexpensive (you can get one with 2500 miles for 3K) its the honda civic of dual sports, so you can get anything you want for it...anything. And farkles are cheap, plus your not limited to KTM orange or KTM black.

Ive ridden mine for hundreds of street miles and taken it on the rubicon...in the same day.
The xr400/xr600 seems to be more reliable so far. Given, I have 20000 miles on my drz, but the xr guys suffer little to no electrical problems. I'm looking into it, all the while loving the versatile drz 1
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

I've had three DRZ400's before the new CRF250L, the DRZ's are great bikes as long as they are running. Now when I say running, I don't mean mechanical problems, I'm talking about today's gasoline. I had more carburetors problems with these bikes then I wanted, I do admit that I let the bikes set sometimes for two or three months with out riding them. If they made a fuel injected DRZ I would have one. Moral of the story is if it ain't fuel injected I don't want it. Great bike though, it just time for upgrades on these bikes, DRZ, KLR, DR, etc.

John
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I've had three DRZ400's before the new CRF250L, the DRZ's are great bikes as long as they are running. Now when I say running, I don't mean mechanical problems, I'm talking about today's gasoline. I had more carburetors problems with these bikes then I wanted, I do admit that I let the bikes set sometimes for two or three months with out riding them. If they made a fuel injected DRZ I would have one. Moral of the story is if it ain't fuel injected I don't want it. Great bike though, it just time for upgrades on these bikes, DRZ, KLR, DR, etc.

John
I haven't had a problem, but then, I use stabilizer if I'm parking a bike for longer than a few days.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #21
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

I use StaBil in everything I own, except for my auto's. Only answer is to run the gas out of the carburetor after each ride, other riders that I ride with do this with good success.

John
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #22
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,227
Ethanol free gas should last 6 months without stabil. That is plenty long for my winter.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #23
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
FWIW I have a 2005 DRZ400S that I store in Arizona from mid April to mid December each year. I fill the tank (only 10% ethanol gas is available here) and put twice the suggested amount of stabil in the tank and run it until I'm sure it's run through the carb. It has started immediately every year and has never exhibited any running issues with the carb. With stock gearing I'm able to ride anywhere but the most technical terrain -- mostly my limitations at 67. 11 inches of travel with fully adjustable suspension front and rear and an all up weight of 320# (18 more than a WR250R) the DRZ is hard to beat. It can also easily run down the road at 65 mph. I have a collection of singles to compare it to -- 96 KLR650, 05 DR650, 09 WR250R, 04 XR250R and an 03 XR650R.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
tw200 is a super fun bike.

+1!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote