ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #571
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,587
Yeah, I though about the dark color and dusty garage for a day.... called the body shop and told them to make it GRABBER BLUE! I think it will give it a vintage feel, and be easier to keep looking clean. Plus, it will be much more eye catching!

Trying to figure out what to do about gas lines... three kegs is tight in the old girl, and my 20lbs CO2 bottle won't fit in there with them. So, I will be cutting a hole and running the gas in. Here is my dilemma:
I have a dual body regulator, and two port distributor. (two kegs on one pressure, one keg on a different press.)
Do I keep both regulators outside on the bottle, and run two lines in? This would be nice, since I do want to have a beer gas/stout tap in the future.
OR, do I break apart the regulator, and run one line in to the distributor and have the second regulator off the end of that?

Both setups will accomplish the same thing, and a smaller beer gas tank/reg. will most likely fit in the fridge later on.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #572
GSAnderson OP
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,544
I thought I'd try aging my latest batch in true lager style. Lacking a beer fridge, I'll do it in the garage. Purchased a carboy heater and digital temperature controller from Northern Brewer. Duct insulation and tape from the big orange box. Testing it with water for a few days to see if it holds the setpoint of 37 degrees.

GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #573
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAnderson View Post
I thought I'd try aging my latest batch in true lager style. Lacking a beer fridge, I'll do it in the garage. Purchased a carboy heater and digital temperature controller from Northern Brewer. Duct insulation and tape from the big orange box. Testing it with water for a few days to see if it holds the setpoint of 37 degrees.

You need a kegerator my friend!
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #574
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Going along with my other weird beer posts in this thread, I brewed this gluten free Baltic IPA this weekend:

Quote:
I like hops. I really like hoppy beer.

For that reason my tastes have always tended towards IPA's. I could appreciate a good stout like I could appreciate the guitar work of guys like Steve Vai, but like Steve Vai's music....it wasn't for me.

That was until, on a whim, I tried Sam Adams Baltic IPA (it was from their short run, craft beer line). A hoppy porter? I could get down with this.

Then I found some other easy stout recipes and figured, "What the hell? Let's throw some floral hops in there and see what we get."

So, here's my gluten free Baltic IPA/Porter recipe:

90 minute boil
5 gallons final volume

2lb Bob's Red Mill Quick Oats (1lb roasted to medium brown and left to waft for a week. 1lb lightly roasted and left overnight) @ steeped together for 30 minutes prior to boil
3lbs Brown rice syrup @ 90
3lbs D-180 Cand Syrup @ 90
3.3lbs Sorghum syrup @ flameout

0.5 oz Chinook @ 90
1 oz Hallertau @ 30
1 oz Hallertau @ 20
1 oz Hallertau @ 15
1 oz Hallertau @ 7

I called this a Baltic IPA because it is really not a porter. If I understand the difference between a porter and a stout correctly that difference would really be academic when using only extracts, but still....it's not a porter. Also, typically a Baltic Porter is made using lager yeast which I have not done.
Boiled last night to an inky blackness! Can't wait to try it!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #575
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
issues with long fermentations

Recently, my fermentation in secondaries are taking a long time. I know I am not supposed to check the gravity all the time, but a belgian dubbel I brewed on Dec 13, is only at 1.012 right now, and should have finished by now. This was a high gravity beer to start, I did use a starter, and a slow fermenting belgian yeast(1214), but it should have eaten all the sugar by now. I don't keep my house warm, but I have recently starting using a germination mat under my carboys. What do you do to keep beer fermenting? How do you know when it is done? Is there an automated camera setup to watch the airlock and let you know when it is done? My cranberry wheat ale fermented quicker, but is now very slow as well. I did buy an aeration pump, thinking I did not have enough O2 in the mix. Suggestions?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #576
GSAnderson OP
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
You need a kegerator my friend!
Yup. One step at a time.
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #577
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Recently, my fermentation in secondaries are taking a long time. I know I am not supposed to check the gravity all the time, but a belgian dubbel I brewed on Dec 13, is only at 1.012 right now, and should have finished by now. This was a high gravity beer to start, I did use a starter, and a slow fermenting belgian yeast(1214), but it should have eaten all the sugar by now. I don't keep my house warm, but I have recently starting using a germination mat under my carboys. What do you do to keep beer fermenting? How do you know when it is done? Is there an automated camera setup to watch the airlock and let you know when it is done? My cranberry wheat ale fermented quicker, but is now very slow as well. I did buy an aeration pump, thinking I did not have enough O2 in the mix. Suggestions?
Airlock activity has very little to do with fermentation, but good for you for checking gravity readings before moving on.

My guess is that your recent troubles with fermentation have to do with either pitch rate or more probably temperature. Bring your fermenters/carboys up a few degrees (obviously within the temp range of your yeast) and see what happens. Often even a degree or two of difference (caused by the onset of winter) can make a huge difference in fermentation activity.

If the fermenters are in your basement bring them to the main floor. If they are on the main floor put them on top of the fridge. The heat from the fridge might be enough to get them going again.

2013 V-Strom
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #578
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
If you are an all grain brewer check the calibration of your mash thermometer. I had one drift out on me and has a bunch of incomplete fermentations and finally tracked it down to mash temps being higher than i thought
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #579
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Actually, 1.012 is pretty darn low. Almost to the point of dry.

The way you calculate your expected FG is to take your OG reading and calculate it based on the average attenuation of your yeast. In reality, most people use the reading that comes with their kit or the one calculate by whatever brewing software they use (beersmith, hopville, etc.)

At 1.012 though, I think you're done.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #580
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Went back and looked at the recipe again in beersmith, and 1.010 is the final gravity for this beer. Will clean up bottle tonight and get ready to bottle. These are all grain beers.

sent from my perfectly sized do it all galaxy note
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #581
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Actually, 1.012 is pretty darn low. Almost to the point of dry.

The way you calculate your expected FG is to take your OG reading and calculate it based on the average attenuation of your yeast. In reality, most people use the reading that comes with their kit or the one calculate by whatever brewing software they use (beersmith, hopville, etc.)

At 1.012 though, I think you're done.
Yeah. Brewing software is the best! That and just going by time and faith If it's been at a good fermentation temp, and it's been a week or two, it's probably done.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #582
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

hop rhizome ordering

It looks like it is about time to order hop plants. Planning 6 varieties in the garden this year, and just placed an order. You can preorder at morebeer, northernbrewer, and others. Preordered Magnum, cascade, fuggles, northern brewer, brewers gold, and nugget. Garden clearing will begin soon.

Any other hop growers? Hoping these grow well in Missouri's harsh winters. 16 F this morning, high of 32, and I still rode, just had to that my steering lock,and melt the ice off my rotors. :)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #583
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

I have yet to have a beer that was good with local grown hops here in Nebraska. I think the summer is just too hot and dry for them to have the same flavor. That keeps me from trying.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #584
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
I would think that arid conditions would be favorable as long as the hops are being watered sufficiently. Moisture related diseases are what have killed off large production in areas in the past. I'd say the heat is the big concern. South central Wisconsin is known as a good hop climate, but last year's excessive heat wave here seemed to burn out my hops before most of the cones matured very well...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #585
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

bottling day again

Just bottled "Drunken Monk", my belgian dubbel. Looks like it ended up at 6.7%, and smells great. That 1214 yeast is slow to start, but then works nicely. 2 months to wait for this to start aging, the worst part of brewing. 2013 is the year of twice monthly brewing. :)

Since I saved some of the yeast cake from this belgian, I have another belgian recipe that I can make tomorrow. Here is the list:
9 lbs 2 row
1 lb Special B belgian malt 150L
1 oz Cascade
1.75 Hallertauer
1214 yeast starter
whirlfloc

All ingredients on hand. Looks decent in Beersmith, so gonna give it a go.