CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan
    Any sources on used?
  2. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know of a guy selling a 2009 that is in decent condition for $2750 firm. It has a rear rack, but if not in new condition. There is one advertised in Hingham, MA for $3350 that looks to be in new condition with rear rack. I think that is a little on the high side, but maybe negotiable. I know he has been trying to sell for well over a month.
  3. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will review.
  4. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i thought i would post somethig here since it just popped up on radar. i bought me 09 in 2010 new. this was my first bike. and has been great. just enough power to get my big butt around and not enough power to get me in trouble i am 6 feet tall 200 lbs and at first for a new rider this bike was great. but after a couple months of riding i out grew it quick. the bike now has 4500 miles on it 75% if it all single track trail. and the rest some pavement. gravel service roads. i have done the desert 100 race here in washington state and had the bike wide open in 3rd gear, one good feeling i had was half way through i was passing guys on big 450s and 530 ktms, its not always about the bike. i am supprised she has not blown or had any power loss from day one. she is ticking just has hard as the day i bought brand new. only thing i have done is regular oil changes a few new sets of tires skid plate bash guards and changed the rear sprocket to a 48 tooth. only thing i need now is a new 500 ktm exc. just to warn u guys dont ride one unless u want to spend 10,000 dollars. because i made the mistake of riding one and i dont want anything else.

just my input. if u have any questions please feel free to ask
  5. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I brought the 230L from Hingham Ma.
    II just read the entire file on the bike. My wife is not happy as this Honda will be garaged with my other three . I'm 64 and will ride it around NH
  6. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:

Tell your wife what I always tell mine when I add a bike to the stable. "Yes dear I know that I already have 4 motorcycles, but I only have one woman!"
  7. grubbie

grubbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a Q4 exhaust on the wifes bike. That alone let this thing breathe better. I noticed a big difference right away and so did she. But the other day was my first time out on trails with it. WOW that thing climbs way better than it did. You can really lug it down. I kept looking for bigger, nastier hills to climb. I just took it out for a few minutes to make her holler at me, but I took about a two hour ride through the hills here at the ranch. What a great bike. Open it up and let it breathe and you will be much happier with it.
  8. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will to the town hall and got the plate. The place was running on a generator.
    The first 12 miles was spent on reviewing the power lines on 107.
    The power was restored in my area @9:45.
  9. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm new to small bore dual-sport bikes. I've got several larger displacement machines but wanted something simple and easy to ride for short, local trail rides.
    I reasearched and looked at several bikes and made compairison lists of each bikes specs. Rode an XT225, an XT250, a KLR250 and a KLX250.
    Each had good points and areas that might need attention. In the end I narrowed the list to the XT225 and the CRF230L. Both bikes are excellent mounts but in the end I went with the CRF230L. I like the rear disk brake, and to be blunt, the quality of the Honda seemed surperior to the XT225 and XT250. The little 230 seems to have a bit more power then the 225 and was very close power wise to the XT250.
    I was lucky enough to find an "08 CRF with 181 miles on the odometer. I've been able to put a few miles on it since and a still very happy with the purchase. Easy to ride, great fuel mileage, excellent power for what I' using the bike for, and did I mension esy to ride?
  10. grubbie

grubbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It loves trails, get it dirty and have fun, congrats!
  11. Amphibious

Amphibious n00b

Oddometer:
    Vernon, British Columbia. I picked up the 230L as a hunting/scouting buggy. so far it's packed out a Mule Deer, Black Bear, and countless fowl. amazing little bike!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. missadventure

missadventure n00bie d00bie d00

Oddometer:
    does anyone here know the overall weight limit for a 2009 crf230l?
  13. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    317 pounds, according to the owners manual. Max cargo weight is 6#.
  14. missadventure

missadventure n00bie d00bie d00

Oddometer:
    many thanks PineyMountainRacing! :clap
  15. CNRED

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how many watts the stator puts out? I'm looking to ad a few acessories but can't seem to find any stats on Stator power. Want to hard wire my GPS, a set of heated grips and still have a pig-tail for a heated vest. I'm thiking with everything on I'm be close to or over max out put. Anyone know?
  16. Amphibious

Amphibious n00b

Oddometer:
    with the OEM rack. Aftermarket racks, like the CycleRacks rack, are substantially more. I routinely put a 50lb pack on mine, and if i'm lucky, a lot more in meat.
  17. CNRED

Oddometer:
    Anyone?
  18. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The shop manual claims 0.188kW/5000 rpm for the alternator. :eek1
  19. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    What happens when you habitually run more than 20# isn't pretty. This was at ~ 8800 miles:

[​IMG]

On the other hand, the welding wasn't that difficult.

[​IMG]
  20. CNRED

Oddometer:
    OK, I must apoligise for my ignorance, how many watts is .188kW? All of my equiptment is rated in watts used, not kW's.