User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #301
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Project Update!

The Carbon Fiber Handguard Deflector project has been updated. Click here to go directly to the project post.

I'm making some good progress in this one...

Teaser Pic

By the way, please feel free to rate this thread. You can find the Rating feature in the upper right hand corner of the page, just above the thread page numbers.

Thanks for taggin' along!

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber

therivermonster screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 03:09 PM
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #302
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Ever think of working in plaster instead of foam? Those surforms do a great job shaping plaster.

Little air belt sanders work pretty good.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #303
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post

Teaser Pic

Cool thread!
I've been doing FG, CF, Kevlar(patches, gel coats), and plastic repairs(patches and welding) on Kayaks and canoes for over twenty years. I'll have to go back thru and see what you've been doing.
I'm not sure if you are aware but another great product for sanding foam is Dragon Skin...

I got it from a different source, which I can't remember the name of right off hand but I found that pic here...One piece will last a life time if just used on foam.

You can also make it from a piece of tin, a sharp nail, a hammer, a lot of time...and a lot of beer!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #304
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Ever think of working in plaster instead of foam? Those surforms do a great job shaping plaster.

Little air belt sanders work pretty good.
I can see how shaping a rough plaster form may work very nicely. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks, PBG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Cool thread!
I've been doing FG, CF, Kevlar(patches, gel coats), and plastic repairs(patches and welding) on Kayaks and canoes for over twenty years. I'll have to go back thru and see what you've been doing.
I'm not sure if you are aware but another great product for sanding foam is Dragon Skin...

I got it from a different source, which I can't remember the name of right off hand but I found that pic here...One piece will last a life time if just used on foam.

You can also make it from a piece of tin, a sharp nail, a hammer, a lot of time...and a lot of beer!
bwalsh, welcome to the thread! That Dragon Skin looks like some mean stuff. I'm sure it would make quick work of some foam. Do you buy it in sheets and adapt it to your tooling/purpose? I might have to try making my own with your nail and tin technique. Thank you for the ideas!

How did you get into the canoe/kayak repari business?

I do a lot of kayaking with family and friends.I think that it would be a hoot to build a composite kayak someday. Maybe a fancy tandom open water boat made out of carbon, Kevlar, and some nice wood trim. That would be one fancy kayak.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #305
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:

bwalsh, welcome to the thread! That Dragon Skin looks like some mean stuff. I'm sure it would make quick work of some foam. Do you buy it in sheets and adapt it to your tooling/purpose? I might have to try making my own with your nail and tin technique. Thank you for the ideas!

I've only seen it in 4" square(5"?) pieces like in the photo. As long as you are just using it for foam one piece will/should last a lifetime.

How did you get into the canoe/kayak repari business?

I have worked for a Canoe livery/outfitter on the South Fork Shenandoah River in Bentonville Virginia on and off since 1989. I've also paddled whitewater, in FG and plastic boats(canoes but mainly Kayaks) since 1986.

We used to have to build the boats when they were shipped from the factory. We also install skid plates and do some repairs/patches. Just last year I talked the boss into buying a plastic welder. It was just a cheap Harbor freight model but has already paid for itself in repairing our own cracked kayak and Canoe hulls.

The FG work I've done was to repair my own glass boats. I've done more repairs to my stuff then to customer boats.

I do a lot of kayaking with family and friends.I think that it would be a hoot to build a composite kayak someday. Maybe a fancy tandom open water boat made out of carbon, Kevlar, and some nice wood trim. That would be one fancy kayak.
I'm friends with a few well known(in the world of whitewater) FG whitewater Kayak boat builders. Here's a website for the only one left who still builds custom Kayaks for a living...

PS composites

EDIT:
BTW, here is another Glass distributor in the Bethesda MD area. I don't know if their prices are in line with who you buy from but there it is...

Sweet Composites

They are good folks.

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 07:50 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #306
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Project Update!

The Carbon Fiber Handguard Deflector project has been updated. Click here to go directly to the project post.

The foam shaping has almost come to an end. Thank goodness!

My Virgin ADV Trip

therivermonster screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:07 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #307
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Project #6: Carbon Fiber Hanguard Deflectors

Next, I'll need to do just a little finish sanding/shaping on the foam. Once everything is semi smooth, I'll lay down a couple layers of 8oz glass and epoxy to make a nice durable, hard, sandable surface in which to do the final fairing (finishing) with Bondo followed by a couple coats of Duratech which is a 2k polyester high build primer that can be sanded and polished to a high shine. I want this mold to be grade A with flanges in the 6" range to make it easy to use for infusion.

Anyhow, more to come soon...
Might want to rethink any polyester blend app..... as anything polyester will melt your foam. Even bondo is of a polyester blend. HAAAAALLLTTTTTT...... Even you are putting it on top of epoxy.... If it finds it's way through, a small pinhole, your screwed.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #308
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Project Update!

Finally we get down to some resin and glass work and a bit of trimming with the use of a very cool tool.

Teaser pic!

My Virgin ADV Trip

therivermonster screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 03:57 PM
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #309
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Might want to rethink any polyester blend app..... as anything polyester will melt your foam. Even bondo is of a polyester blend. HAAAAALLLTTTTTT...... Even you are putting it on top of epoxy.... If it finds it's way through, a small pinhole, your screwed.
This is very good advice. However in this scenario I have taken measures to help keep this from happening. Hopefully I have all my basses covered like I think I do.

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 01-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #310
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
This is very good advice. However in this scenario I have taken measures to help keep this from happening. Hopefully I have all my basses covered like I think I do.
Good to hear. I did the same once, only to ring that the gases permitted through small pinholes, and deformed the foam..... It was polyester not bondo. As long as you are aware of the incompatability...... Which it sounds like you are..... :)

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #311
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Looking good. Have you done much work with bondo? Pays dividends to apply as smoothly as possible, and not to add much more than you need. Was making a lot of unnecessary work for myself until I got the hang of that. Also, another thing I started doing was to do some preliminary sanding/shaping before the bondo hardens. There's about a 10 minute window when it's really great to work with. Not so wet that it will smear and ball-up when you sand it, but still soft enough that you can knock down the high spots with ease. Saves a ton of time/effort.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #312
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Looking good. Have you done much work with bondo? Pays dividends to apply as smoothly as possible, and not to add much more than you need. Was making a lot of unnecessary work for myself until I got the hang of that. Also, another thing I started doing was to do some preliminary sanding/shaping before the bondo hardens. There's about a 10 minute window when it's really great to work with. Not so wet that it will smear and ball-up when you sand it, but still soft enough that you can knock down the high spots with ease. Saves a ton of time/effort.
I'm no Bondo expert, that's for sure! How long after you apply the Bondo do you want to do your prelim sanding?

My Virgin ADV Trip
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #313
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Hard to say, but you'll get a feel for it. Try slicing the high ridges off with a razor blade, and see if it cuts through cleanly, without sticking to the blade. Forgot to mention that shaving down those ridges with a razor blade also works really well. Forget the name of it, but there's a long thin cheese-grater-looking tool that makes quick work of shaping soft bondo (not shown). Then I usually switch to course files to even out those compound curves. Concave surfaces are a little more difficult, so shaping and sanding while soft makes all the difference.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #314
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
. Forget the name of it, but there's a long thin cheese-grater-looking tool that makes quick work of shaping soft bondo (not shown).

Stanley Surform - But he's already got the small version (pictured above with the pink foam)

For foam it is also hard to beat an electric carving knife.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #315
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Project Update!

Let the sanding begin...

Teaser pic

My Virgin ADV Trip