Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #181
HoonTune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Just got my dirt turtle back on the road (needed new tyres, chain sprockets etc).

I've put new sintered brake pads in the front but, it's still not really pulling up anywhere near as quick as I can accelerate !

Did the bigger disc from the DTX help much in this regard ?

Of course how could you tell with 1.5 tonnes of credit card bills & rates notices shoved into all those storage bins ?
HoonTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #182
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Oddometer: 446
Hey Hoon, the DT125X front end has too much stopping power, anything more than one finger will send you over the hangers in a flash, bloody brilliant for pulling up quick on the road though. The Brembo is definnately a better unit, also helps with a braided line and new master cylinder.

motormail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #183
HoonTune
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormail View Post
Hey Hoon, the DT125X front end has too much stopping power, anything more than one finger will send you over the hangers in a flash, bloody brilliant for pulling up quick on the road though. The Brembo is definnately a better unit, also helps with a braided line and new master cylinder.
Thanks - do you think the disc rotor would mount on the DT230 hub ?

I still can't get a DT125X wheel/hub at a decent price, so I think I need to try to upgrade what I've got.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #184
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Brake pads? I recently managed to fit new front pads to our bike, EBC IIRC. They were to fat to get in initially so I have spent some time grinding them on concrete to get them in. They are soft initially, no doubt old brake line & fluid..... but bite real hard with a bit of pressure on the lever, hard to resist doing wee two finger stoppies now. I guess fork seals will be next on the list....
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #185
HoonTune
Adventurer

[QUOTE=Harvey Krumpet;20473562]Brake pads? I recently managed to fit new front pads to our bike, EBC IIRC. [QUOTE]

Thanks could certainly help - Looks like there is an EBC TT series, and an EBC R (Sintered) series. Do you know which one you got ?

Robbo, would the brembo mount on the DT230 fork leg without the adapter plate ? Perhaps it would be a good upgrade on the standard caliper ?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #186
HoonTune
Adventurer

Change of plan, or rather back to original plan ... I've just sourced a set of DT125X front and back wheels with discs

So which spacers do I need to get to locate the DT125X front rim on the DT230 axle ? Are they the ones from the 125X (does it have a speedo drive too that i'll need ?)

Of course, that complicates the brake caliper issue too:
  • I could get the DT125X brembo caliper with the adapter plate and a bigger disc for the 230 rim, but that might be too much for the dirt.
  • I could get the brembo caliper without the adapter plate, and put a smaller disc on the 125X rim.
  • Or I could setup two complete brake sets (lever, master cylinder, brake line and caliper) and swap between them when I swap wheels - seems like a lot of hassle.
I think option 2 might be the best compromise, if the brembo without the adapter plate would fit the standard DT230 fork and disc ?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #187
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=HoonTune;20473885][QUOTE=Harvey Krumpet;20473562]Brake pads? I recently managed to fit new front pads to our bike, EBC IIRC.
Quote:

Thanks could certainly help - Looks like there is an EBC TT series, and an EBC R (Sintered) series. Do you know which one you got ?

Not sure, will have a look see at the next opportunity. TBH, even with a 120/17 front I would not be upgrading my brakes for the road, it's just a wee bike & brick wall stoppers bring their own problems. I've ridden a KTM 300 EXC motard with the big disc package & it was really aggressive, a touch to much & you would be on your arse.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #188
HoonTune
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
TBH, even with a 120/17 front I would not be upgrading my brakes for the road, it's just a wee bike & brick wall stoppers bring their own problems.
At the moment, I squeeze the lever and ... wait ... and then if I get deperate I throw the anchor out of my back pack and hope for the best...

I've changed the fluid and put new pads in, not sure what else i can do.

Mind you I am comparing it to my Buell 1125R, but still ... now I have my new exhaust on I want to be on the pipe everywhere ...which means I have to be able to slow down so I can get on the pipe again !
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #189
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoonTune View Post
At the moment, I squeeze the lever and ... wait ... and then if I get deperate I throw the anchor out of my back pack and hope for the best...

I've changed the fluid and put new pads in, not sure what else i can do.

Mind you I am comparing it to my Buell 1125R, but still ... now I have my new exhaust on I want to be on the pipe everywhere ...which means I have to be able to slow down so I can get on the pipe again !
Sounds like me jumping onto the TDM after the DT. I hit the brakes, my eyes go really wide and I grit my teeth. Not sure why, I'm not biting the handle bar.....then I squeeze really hard. Old brake lines again I guess. Must get off my arse & do something about it.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #190
HoonTune
Adventurer

Long range tank

Dunno if anyone is still looking at getting a longer range tank for the DT, but I came across some people using a Honda XR designed tank on the ttr250... Could be worth a try

http://ttr250.activeboard.com/t47885...k-installation

HoonTune screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 05:51 PM Reason: sucky ipad spell checker !
Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #191
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey Hoon,

Sorry, been offline for a few days, been stupid busy. Will measure that disk for you ASAP.
Been playing with carby jets as I had a 170 in which just wasn't performing like it should. Mind you the Boyesen racing reeds and extra air box holes wouldn't have helped. So decided to try the 185 main I had in my kit. Well swallow me, the difference was huge and a hell of a lot more fun / trouble. also put the stock chamber back on to quiet things down as not to be so noticeable

Also my auto clutch turned up from EFM, check out this work of art.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #192
HoonTune
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormail View Post
Sorry, been offline for a few days, been stupid busy. Will measure that disk for you ASAP.
Actually, no need my rims have turned up ! I do need confirmation that the DT125X caliper bolts up to the 230 fork leg though.

Quote:
Been playing with carby jets as I had a 170 in which just wasn't performing like it should. Mind you the Boyesen racing reeds and extra air box holes wouldn't have helped. So decided to try the 185 main I had in my kit. Well swallow me, the difference was huge and a hell of a lot more fun / trouble. also put the stock chamber back on to quiet things down as not to be so noticeable
I got a bit lost with the airbox mods. Have you block the hole to the expansion bottle, and how many holes did you put into the airbox ?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #193
HoonTune
Adventurer

DT125X Rims have arrived

My DT125X rims have arrived from the UK

Rear Wheel fits perfectly

Wheel spacers are an issue for the front though, the wheel is sitting too far to the non-disc side

What spacers did you end up getting Robbo ?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #194
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hey Hoon,

Wait till you give those bad boys a go....it's ferkn fun.
The other day I was turning left at a T intersection and just as I crossed the White line in the wet, I hit power band and ended up doing a bit of speed way down an 80kph road. Big of fun to be had....can't wait to go back to work again
I also got the DT125X forks which are just 20mm shorter than the DT230, and to make it easy I just bought the proper spacers from the UK. 12 = gear unit assembly and 7 = collar. Bit more than I wanted to pay, but just didn't have the time to take the front end to an engineering shop and deal with dipshits. These days I put a dollar value on my own time and I reckon that doing the engineering shop thing would have taken hours, so I paid my money and it turned up in the mail a week later, easy.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #195
motormail OP
Supermoto Posty

Hoon, I've got the DT125X front end out at the moment and reinstalled the DT230 front end back in to try the new 17" front wheel I had laced up on a TTR250 hub with the Avon Distanzia tyres.

I plan to pick myself up a TTR250 to add to my posty bike fleet which will sport the other set of 17" wheels I have. The TTR250 will be used on my smaller acreage run and will certainly help with the fuel cost. 60 litres of fuel in the DT230 each week is getting ferkn expensive, but oh sssssooooooo worth it.

Will measure the gear unit and collar for you tonight.

Robo