Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #72826
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,537
Blackcap: very kewl video, good tunes too, thanks for posting. Did you say fuk?? Cause that's what I say anytime I drop my DR. The underwater bit was intimidating. Maybe you could give us GPS coordinates once inna while, where inna fook are you? SE Asia doesn't narrow it down much.

Recently you asked for solutions to dust getting through your carb's secondary air filter. I think I posted a link to this post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=82

Here's an update. I just cleaned that filter again and it was too dirty again. Here are photos of what I found.

Previous neglect:

Checking further I found that almost no dirt got thru the filter, even though the bike has 43,xxx miles. The tube has never been cleaned.
One side of the Q-tip, behind the secondary filter.

Other side of the same Q-tip.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #72827
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
heres another good thing about the DRs smooth engine: makes a reasonable video platform

That is awesome! And it is nice to see my parts in action...

D.
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #72828
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
Sound advice for a 25 year old who has very little mechanical experience, and plenty of mechanical snafus to overcome.
None of us were born knowing this stuff, we learned it. Three years ago I was a 'lurker'. As I learned things, I started teaching others what I think I know. When I mess up, someone (or 6) will say so.

Quote:
Dropped it on the right side, wasn't going too fast but definitely got a little overcocky in my abilities.
Overcocky is in our DNA, it's how guys work. It's also how we got men on the moon.
Quote:
I'll take off the top roller as Carl suggested,
Carl is right.
Quote:
and surely loosen the chain back up. Probably worth picking up the manual, too... I had the bike checked out by a mechanic before I bought it,
Getting the bike checked by a mechanic was a very good idea.
Quote:
the chain's not the newest but it does look good, def better in the sprockets than in the photos you put up. Thanks, and I'll be sure to post pictures for every problem!
Again, welcome to the site.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #72829
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Blackcap: very kewl video, good tunes too, thanks for posting. Did you say fuk?? Cause that's what I say anytime I drop my DR. The underwater bit was intimidating. Maybe you could give us GPS coordinates once inna while, where inna fook are you? SE Asia doesn't narrow it down much.

Recently you asked for solutions to dust getting through your carb's secondary air filter. I think I posted a link to this post:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=82

Here's an update. I just cleaned that filter again and it was too dirty again. Here are photos of what I found.

Previous neglect:

Checking further I found that almost no dirt got thru the filter, even though the bike has 43,xxx miles. The tube has never been cleaned.
One side of the Q-tip, behind the secondary filter.
Other side of the same Q-tip.
that looks exactly what im looking for. and the best part is inmate Chill came through with his old one that he no longer wants and even posted the thing for free. im trying to get the other video up of the dusty roads that did the damage but my upload limit for the week is finished and then im back in indonesia where its touch and go even uploading photos. thanks for the solution to this. its nice to know we have innovative people on board here coming up with simple solutions like this.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #72830
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
That is awesome! And it is nice to see my parts in action...

D.

i should get one of the videos up just before i changed them out, you can hear the bike cough and almost die every time i open the throttle up from the closed position.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #72831
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
that looks exactly what im looking for. and the best part is inmate Chill came through with his old one that he no longer wants and even posted the thing for free.
Rockin' Chill.
Quote:
im trying to get the other video up of the dusty roads that did the damage
Looking forward to it.
Quote:
but my upload limit for the week is finished and then im back in indonesia where its touch and go even uploading photos.
I just recently got hi speed internet. Previously, photos, up or down, took a painfully long time to load.
Quote:
thanks for the solution to this. its nice to know we have innovative people on board here coming up with simple solutions like this.
Here's where we thank Rusty Rocket for the idea.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #72832
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Suzuki would have to give me some serious motivation to buy a brand new one. If they made something that competed with the BMW Serato with FI, more body protection, and better highway manners, I might be tempted to buy another one.
I think you mean the BMW Sertao ... It's really not close to the DR650 in most respects. To start with it's 60 or 70 lbs. heavier, has spindly little 41mm Showa forks and still carries some of the problems the old F650's had. I'd be careful what you wish for. Have you ever bought a new BMW?

Now check the MSRP : $8670 (base)

Sertao claims to have 48 BHP ... so figure about 40 HP at the rear wheel.
It's a beautiful bike with nicer clocks and switches. It is no smoother on the highway than a well set up DR650. Biggest advantage besides looks ... it gets about 65 MPG.

The bike that comes closer is the Husqvarna Terra. About $800 cheaper, better suspension, lighter. Will either go 50,000 miles without trouble?
Dunno. Still a BMW product.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #72833
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I would like to see everyone that likes the DR650 to go buy a new one this year. That would inspire Suzuki to keep making and importing them. I HAD TO BUY A USED ONE LAST YEAR BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS IN MY AREA WOULD STOCK THEM, and Suzuki was out of stock by late spring when I was ready to buy since they are not a high volume seeling model.

TravelGuy
In all honesty, I would go to the dealer and buy one tomorrow, only issue is they are not available in Europe any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I don't necessarily need something super fancy, but considering how big the bike is, it would be nice for it to cruise stretches of highway a bit better. From what I've gathered, they already make a more powerful engine based on the DR650 that they put in the Freewind. Just adding five or ten HP to the DR and some kind of token wind protection would be a big boon to me. As we've seen from the big bore kits, revised cams, and Suzuki's own Freewind, you can add power to this engine without adding hardly any weight or complexity to the bike. .
IMHO more wind protection means more plastics to break when dropping the bike off-road. Wind protection can be added to a bike if you wish, but in most cases you can't just take the plastics off a faired bike to make it more dirt worthy, so from my point of view the current form of the DR is the more versatile solution. Just my opinion though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've heard that dealers are selling as many as they can get. The issue is government regulations... emissions, etc. I had heard a rumor that 2013 or 2014 will be the last year of both the DR650 and DRZ400 in their current form. Supposedly there will be a new 450-based DRZ with EFI, and who knows what the DR650 will turn into.

The ADV market is huge right now; I don't see them discontinued at all; I just see them being reinvented due to regulatory BS, which could ruin what is otherwise a great bike. OR, it could be THE new standard, there's no way to know yet.
This could be the chance for re-introducing the DRs in Europe, they've been missing for 10 years now. I only hope they will keep it simple and light.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #72834
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
heres another good thing about the DRs smooth engine: makes a reasonable video platform

Hey, what type of headlight mask (fairing) is that? (visible at 04:53 in the video). Can you give us more information about it? Seems like a nice mod, allowing 2 HID projectors to be used.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #72835
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The EPA publishes all of the bikes and their current emissions versus the requirements. It's probably been six months or a year ago that I looked at it but the DR650 was no where near the limits. The carbed DR650 could go years without an upgrade to EFI. The EFI issue comes up year after year with people wondering if it's the last year of the DR650. If it is the last year, it has nothing to do with the US EPA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
GOOD! I hope it sticks around in its current form then! :)

Rob

Same here, if Suzuki were to make any changes I would rather see it receive better, fully adjustable suspension components.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #72836
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Hey, what type of headlight mask (fairing) is that? (visible at 04:53 in the video). Can you give us more information about it? Seems like a nice mod, allowing 2 HID projectors to be used.
thats brittiana composites lynx fairing. ive had a few issues with it breaking but they are redesigning it slowly there to improve things. regardless, the extra light is worth the few minor issues ive had. the biggest pain is people keep stopping me to tell me my headlight is broken when only the lowbeam is switched on haha

Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #72837
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Will either go 50,000 miles without trouble?
I bought a 2002 BMW F650GS new, essentially the same as the Sertao, when I got back into riding after a long break. My wife and I put a lot of miles on it, and it has still not had any problems at all. No engine problems, engine's never been apart except for routing valve checks; no FI issues at all, still has the original wheel bearings, it just keeps going on and on with its new owner.

It's got 115,000 kms on it now. Routine maintenance is the key to longevity with any machine.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #72838
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think you mean the BMW Sertao ... It's really not close to the DR650 in most respects. To start with it's 60 or 70 lbs. heavier, has spindly little 41mm Showa forks and still carries some of the problems the old F650's had. I'd be careful what you wish for. Have you ever bought a new BMW?

Now check the MSRP : $8670 (base)

Sertao claims to have 48 BHP ... so figure about 40 HP at the rear wheel.
It's a beautiful bike with nicer clocks and switches. It is no smoother on the highway than a well set up DR650. Biggest advantage besides looks ... it gets about 65 MPG.

The bike that comes closer is the Husqvarna Terra. About $800 cheaper, better suspension, lighter. Will either go 50,000 miles without trouble?
The Terra is made mostly in China, IMO, it won't hold up as well as the Sertao. But still, most folks would be able to get 50K out of either without troubles.

That being said, I doubt MY DR will get 50K miles without at least a top end. That kind of thing reflects just as much on the how the bike is ridden as much as what brand/model it is.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #72839
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
The DR vs most any other bike is such a great compromise. To me the best, that makes it so cool, it isn't anything, it's everything. Yep, spend the coin on a BMW and you will get a better street bike for a cost in dollars and off road performance and maintenance. The BMWs suspension is not any better either. I don't know about the husky, I'd like to try one. A Ktm 690 would be cool but I'm thinking that two dr 650s would cost less to buy and maintain. I'm a card carrying member of the DR 650 fan club, can't help it
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #72840
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 876
This may have already been covered, but is there a larger aftermarket tank option? I can't seem to find much, but my google-fu may be weak.

Trip to Alaska may be in the works.

via the little yellow rocket
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote