Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #6466
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
+6 and rain here. We may have no snow left by the end of today

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #6467
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Snow is all gone here

Lundy cloudy and windy this morning
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #6468
Hektoglider
One with Life

Kind of cloudy and windy

Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #6469
Hektoglider
One with Life

Greg that little 350 LC Twin is gonna be fun. Nothing like 2Stroke power coming on the pipe !
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #6470
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Greg that little 350 LC Twin is gonna be fun. Nothing like 2Stroke power coming on the pipe !
Looking forward to taking it out... the way the weather is going here, it will April this year.
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black SOLD, 2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125, 1980 Honda C70 Cub. SOLD. (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #6471
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,160
Bike build...

check this out, this guys building his bike from pieces of other bikes...never seen anything like this before http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818760
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #6472
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Mike, I will be expecting a detailed ride report!!!!!
O.K. - Not the most detailed ride report. But I DID get out. Coming back from work at 2:30PM my car indicated it was 8C outside. Environment Canada said it reached 7C by mid afternoon on Thursday, Jan. 10th. Not bad! Time to ride.

For a warm-up, I rode along Lakeshore out to Wildgoose Beach. The roads were great. Clear and dry. And I was suprisingly warm, except for a bit of my neck and chin. I need to invest in a neck warmer or some kind of lower balaclava-like covering. Still - my hands were warm and so were my feet. I've ridden in much colder conditions. It was just great to get out again. I felt like I was cheating mother nature. Like I was doing something I wasn't suppose to be doing....

The road to the parking lot was ice-covered in spots.

Here's a comparison photo from early July 2012 when I stopped by on my way out east to Neys. Looks a little more....ahem...vibrant....

Ahhh...the Kinghorn Line. The track and ties removed.

Wildgoose Beach. No babes in bikinis on January 10th I'm afraid.

I was surprised to see others here. Some were taking photos - while others were walking their dogs. No candid pics though. I suppose others were taking advantage of the nice weather too. Nice bit of wind. Good kite surfing day.

I headed back toward town and decided to hit the expressway and visit the Terry Fox lookout - and snap a few more photos. I'm liking the new entrance and exit to the monument. Hey - one other visitor at the lookout. I also had an chance to tryout my new Highway Dirtbikes top clamp, handguards, and mirrors. I will need to make a few adjustments to them - but I think I'm going to really like them.

Another view of the Giant from the Terry Fox lookout.

I wanted to exercise my 20x optical zoom on my compact camera. Here is Loch Lomond Ski Area from the Terry Fox Lookout.

The exit from the newly configured lookout features a 50km/hr bend and looonnngggg merge onto the expressway (I guess for all the slow accelerating motorhomes and campers). An excellent opportunity to wind out the bike. Not sure if it's the denser air - but the WR250R pulled much harder than I had expected to 100+km/hr. Had to hold on tight. Felt great. Tried to seize the moment - not the engine. After what felt like 2 seconds after I merged - I met the Hodder Ave. exit. Wow. It comes up quickly now - easy to miss - just as you are cresting the hill past the lookout.

Headed back into town and around Boulevard Lake to take a few more photos. Lots of people walking the path around the lake. Many stared at me as I rode by. I guess people aren't used to seeing a motorcycle riding around TBay in January.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 04:41 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #6473
Old Fart At Play
Mad about thumpers

Oddometer: 165
I was out that day too. Mike: sorry I didn't see your PM until after I got home. Went to the Arctic Watershed sign just east of Quetico. Wore my electric vest but didn't turn it on until I was almost home. That NEVER happens during a January ride!

Nice little report BTW.
Old Fart At Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #6474
2whlrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Great January ride report Mike!
Wish we had the weather to get the bikes out here.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #6475
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart At Play View Post
I was out that day too. Mike: sorry I didn't see your PM until after I got home. Went to the Arctic Watershed sign just east of Quetico. Wore my electric vest but didn't turn it on until I was almost home. That NEVER happens during a January ride!

Nice little report BTW.
Hey Steve - you went much further than I did! I have Fridays off now. If the warm day had been Friday I would have loved to have left earlier and taken a longer ride. It was so rewarding to be on the bike again - I didn't want to get off. A longer ride would have satiated my craving a little better.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #6476
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Mike, awesome ... The weather was a lot different When growing up in Thunder Bay in the 60's... All we ever got was snow!!!!
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black SOLD, 2009 Yamaha WR250R, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1967 Honda CD125, 1980 Honda C70 Cub. SOLD. (on display at the Headingly Musem for the Winter)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #6477
Hektoglider
One with Life

Way to go on the January riding ! Makes winter interrupted
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #6478
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Good job on the report Mike, nice to see someone getting out! Looks like there will be a slight intermission in your riding for 30 below weather
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #6479
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Mike, awesome ... The weather was a lot different When growing up in Thunder Bay in the 60's... All we ever got was snow!!!!
The last 10 years I've noticed the decline in the amount of snow we get. It's not just a "we were smaller back then and the snow banks looked bigger" thing. But this year, as far back as I can remember (usualy yesterday is hard to remember ) is the first year ever that most of the City is bare of any snow cover I remember warm days in January and February as far back as the early 80`s, days that hit plus 10 or 11c but there was always snow.

I know we are going to get snow...eventualy...when we don`t want it, but in the mean time, we can chaulk up another weather oddity for the record books!

As I think about it, a lot of things are different now...we never used to have mosquitos in the City and you could sit outside all night and not freeze to death. Boy things are changing...for the worse Although, I really wouldn`t mis winter Okay, I`m done now
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #6480
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Rob, It's -20C here this morning and it's supposed to warm up tomorrow, though I short lived according to the weather network. Good stuff for the snowmobile guys.

I am thinking our ADV brethren in southern Ontario are getting a head start on the riding season this year.