Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #31
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
More exhaust experiments. When I fitted a 2 into 1 with the Supertrapp about 3 years ago I settled on 6 discs, and then fitted a 38mm outlet to kill the harsh noise, and this seemed to fatten up the bottom end. Not happy with the 8 plates on wednesday, I lowered the needles again and fitted the 50mm endcap.

I went to Te Anga and Waitomo today, and took my Supertrapp tools and reducer pipe, fully intending to go back to what I originally had after experimenting along the way. But performance today was stunning, more power everywhere and it's seamless - have to watch the tacho as it will go deep into the red if I'm just looking at where I'm going. Still not happy with the noise - this is not some sedate mooing BMW twin, it's a harsh angry buzz....but I can live with it....for the moment.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #32
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Hi all, just looking through some ae the threads and what do i find but a thread on havin sex wae ugly women, whats this i say to myself, surely there are nae ugly women in NZ and sure enough its only about twins(thank feck).
two baggers is a term used in Scotland for a women that whilst your having sex with would need a bag put over her heid, a two bagger is a really ugly women that you would need to put a bag over her hied and then another over yer ain just in case hers comes off.
Merry Christmas lads n lassies and have a great hogmany, mae ye live as long as ye want tae, and want tae as long as ye live.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #33
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
Hi all, just looking through some ae the threads and what do i find but a thread on havin sex wae ugly women, whats this i say to myself, surely there are nae ugly women in NZ and sure enough its only about twins(thank feck).
two baggers is a term used in Scotland for a women that whilst your having sex with would need a bag put over her heid, a two bagger is a really ugly women that you would need to put a bag over her hied and then another over yer ain just in case hers comes off.
Merry Christmas lads n lassies and have a great hogmany, mae ye live as long as ye want tae, and want tae as long as ye live.
clearly you ant seen any pictures of the owner

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #34
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post

When we were young fullas we usd to rate them as "juggers".
Its a scale from 1 to 10 of how many jugs of beer it would take before you found them attractive enough to consider having sex with.

Those were the days.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

There are some people who consider the BMW Airhead a beautiful motorcycle - I'm not one of them. I'm happy with the Scottish take on the title.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #36
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
There are some people who consider the BMW Airhead a beautiful motorcycle - I'm not one of them. I'm happy with the Scottish take on the title.
You have too much dust in your eyes, of course it's a beautiful motorcycle, most of them anyway.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
You have too much dust in your eyes, of course it's a beautiful motorcycle, most of them anyway.
Other bikes hide their motor away, BMW has it out there like a WW1 fighter plane....tally ho chaps......

Just the thought of jugs of Lion Red and DB make me ill......
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Hey there Motu - spotted you on the Mangatoa/Manganui Rd the other week. Sat the 29th, driving south. You were stopped and I was in the grey blue Land Rover. Two wheels certainly would've been nicer that day, for sure!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM   #39
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Ah, the steel stockyard. I was just putting my gloves on after a rest stop, you slowed to see if I was OK, and then pulled over when I came up behind you - so it wasn't an unusually polite car driver after all, just another rider looking out for their own.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #40
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Wow, 2 bikes with the same plate. Is that as as rare as a 2 headed coin?

Surprising that cans are even louder than an open header pipe. Could it be a reasonance thing?
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #41
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

The K70's are finally finished - I might've got a few more rides out of them, but they were getting a bit ragged, and a real handful in gravel.

Time for what I wanted to put on the bike in the first place, Dunlop K180 - 120/90x18 front and rear.

I couldn't get them before, so settled for the next best dirttrack tyre, the K70. I had used a 3.00 x 21 K180 on my XT600 and was very impressed with the gravel road performance. The 21 had no DOT marking, but these do, and are tube tyres, nice and easy to fit. Out on some of my favourite roads today and I'm very happy with them - but I think the K70's had more hook up when they were new, more rubber on the ground. These tyres spin up easily, but a nice stable controllable slide....and that's what I like. The K70 would hook up with a snap soon as it saw a small patch of hard pack and stay hooked up, the K180 makes and breaks traction all over the road, but it's all good fun. The front is totally planted, can take throttle in a corner to push the rear out and the bike is as stable as on a sealed road no matter what the gravel layer.

They pass the thumbnail test, but don't feel that soft, and after some sealed road hard pushing don't look scuffed at all, the K70's would get a scuffed look on seal. I have a 10 to 15mm chicken strip with my Spitfires on the road, just touching the last rib on the K180....but that's as good as it gets for me. I ran the K70's at 20/25 psi front/rear to get sidewall flex, which is how they work, the K180 has a modern profile and was going to use BMW pressure specs, but the tyre says max load 290kg at 33psi, so I'm going for 30psi front and rear for a start, and that seems OK for now.

You can see some blocks have been touching, so there is some flex going on.

motu screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 11:59 PM
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #42
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

They have answered the question of whether it was the tyres or engine giving the good hookup. Compared to the XT600, I had expected a twin cyl bike of similar hp weighing more that 40kg extra to have more wheel spin, but with the K70's it just hooked up and drove forward. It couldn't be all tyres, they were just old street tyres, and didn't want to explore the thought of a gutless engine, so thought maybe the short stroke and light flywheel might be part of it. Looks like the K70 is a pretty damn good gravel road tyre. I'll have to experiment with lower pressures to see if it can hookup better in the loose stuff.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #43
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
How much for a set of those Mr Croc wearer...? My R65 is up for new tyres and us Metro riders need tyres like that for crossing grass verges and parking outside cafes after going " The Long Way Round" thru Grey Lynn to Ponsonby.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Crocs are like socks and undies - you get them on Xmas and birthdays, not the sort of things you pay money for. They are as worn out as my tyres - Onehunga weed goes right through them.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #45
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Out today coming to grips with the K180's - loosey loosey, but a controllable loosey loosey. I miss that solid hook up of the K70's. Down here they skin trespassers and hang them on a post with their head.