ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #2821
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash65 View Post
Well that sucks, Laurie did fantastic work on my bike, going to be hard to find a decent replacement in the ACT.

Cheers,
Dash
Frank Pons still visits Numeralla routinely to do suspension work. I shall get some dates for 2013 soonish.
__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #2822
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
No idea, but I can say Laurie Smith is closing his shop around about the 26th and heading overseas, if anybody needs work done on their suspenders....
but only for six months or so, or so I hear third or fourth hand :)
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #2823
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Has Hal finally closed up shop?

Yep, talking to Hal last week out @ Murrumbateman, all over 'red-rover', packed up & out there the weekend before
Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #2824
skygazer
Cold Flame Tourer +
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Near Yass and the capital
Oddometer: 24
Wicked Hal at TJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Has Hal finally closed up shop?
Hi Dave and others,

Hal has closed the premises at Lonsdale st ..happened very quickly with opportunity of lease being taken over. Overall the rent in civic was escallating with motor trade being pushed out of the area as more apartments and trendy shops appear.

Hal is having a break for a while and looking at new ventures. Still has some stock and 2 tyre accounts...and investigating options for future trading. He intends to notify what is happening on the TJs website but hasn't been able to arrange a change the site yet ( so watch this space).

He also is doing a postie run during weekdays...something different but still on a bike (!!) ...I think that might be just to get out of the jobs list at home that has grown over the last few years. He is looking forward to having weekends and getting to more rallies. Last week he and Dirty Dennis accompanied me as I went for my first ride since the accident...all good but haven't tried any dirt yet.

See you out and about.
skygazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #2825
skygazer
Cold Flame Tourer +
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Near Yass and the capital
Oddometer: 24
Thanks for all your support

Forgot to say.......thanks to all who have supported Hal at TJs....he still lives and breathes tyres but doesn't smell like them anymore.
skygazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #2826
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wiz.au's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ACT, Australia
Oddometer: 356
DSMRA Adventure rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignis View Post
...[snipped] Is anyone a member of the local chapter of the DSMRA? And if so, do you recommend membership? My problem is that the guys I ride with are all road riders....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
...[snipped]... And a lot of the Big Bore rides are not official DSMRA ones, but just happen because of the networking it provides.
Some of us are expected to turn up to work most weekdays ....so mid-week runs are pretty much out.

Hi Frank.
I've taken on the challenge of moving from many years in the BMW Club (last 9 years I've had nothing to do with for no real reason except personal ones),...to the DSMRA now I've bought a F650GS Dakar. I've only been with the DSMRA for a year now, and yeah, I'm struggling to find the "Dual" in DSMRA. Most rides involve trailered enduro bikes and it appears the ride leaders are a bit apprehensive about adventure bike riders and their abilities. I'll admit I didn't feel very welcome at all the first few meetings and events I rolled up to. Then I got the real story about what happened "last time" a F650 rider went out with them. I started to put it all together, and now I understand, and I'm trying to do something about it. Since I've joined, two experienced riders in the DSMRA have both bought Adventure bikes. With Ash, Donks and me as well, I'm hoping we can get some long distance (coupla hundred k's) overnighters on the calendar, and pick up a few other people to come along as well. But lately I've started to learn the new political side of it with access to Forests, permits, fees, etc. (Really pisses me off that road registered bikes get banned, but rally cars and 4WD's are OK!) This is another reason why sometimes the rides have to be organised a certain way.

Personally I love riding the "Grade 2 Firetrails" that Donkers and Daley have taken me on. I won't say parts weren't challenging on the Dakar and my current off-road riding abilities, but I have yet to drop my bike because I crashed it on one of these rides. And even if I did, as long as I can get up and get back on, that's not an issue for me. I bought my bike with a few dings, so I wouldn't cry if I did dump it. I did chicken out on a Grade2/3 ride one day at Pierces Creek, but since then I've changed my tyres, rear shock, revalved my forks, and put 4000km of off-road riding under my bum. But I'm still not going to try and push a F650 into somethin the enduro bikes can do, that I can't.

The next thing is learning the trails so I can lead club rides. I've decided that a GPS and getting "out there" is pretty much the only way to go. Hopefully I can sponge some info from the other guys and load up the GPS with a few good tracks. And that's why I hang around this thread. I find it doesn't sink in when I'm following someone, I have to go do it "myself" for it to save in the grey matter these days. But I'm not quite confident to go out by myself just yet, hence riding with the club guys is the best option for me at the moment.

So I'd join up with the DSMRA if you're OK with the fact that Adventure/BigBore rides are not their main priority right now, but you wouldn't mind helping me to try and make it more "mainstream" in the ride calendar.
__________________
"That guy with the tag on the back of his jacket, he's got a different chip in his head..."
wiz.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #2827
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller
 
hunter_greyghost's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Yass, Australia
Oddometer: 7,416
Some good vibes happening around this thread
Might try out some of these DSMRA rides, last couple times I took 'Kenny' on the Kowen Forest ride I had fun!!!


Batemans Bay was a DNF though

Cheers
Baza
__________________
1981 XS650SH "Tourer" [ For Sale - when / maybe?], 1975 XS650B "Adventure" ['Kenny Krazyhorse'], 1982 XL500R 'Project'
www.aussiegreyghost.smugmug.com
Couldn't afford a 'GSA', so now it's an 'XSA' "I didn't do it! & whoever said I did, is a liar!"
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #2828
stuser
Putt putt putt
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
Some of us are expected to turn up to work most weekdays ....so mid-week runs are pretty much out.

Hi Frank.
I've taken on the challenge of moving from many years in the BMW Club (last 9 years I've had nothing to do with for no real reason except personal ones),...to the DSMRA now I've bought a F650GS Dakar. I've only been with the DSMRA for a year now, and yeah, I'm struggling to find the "Dual" in DSMRA. Most rides involve trailered enduro bikes and it appears the ride leaders are a bit apprehensive about adventure bike riders and their abilities. I'll admit I didn't feel very welcome at all the first few meetings and events I rolled up to. Then I got the real story about what happened "last time" a F650 rider went out with them. I started to put it all together, and now I understand, and I'm trying to do something about it. Since I've joined, two experienced riders in the DSMRA have both bought Adventure bikes. With Ash, Donks and me as well, I'm hoping we can get some long distance (coupla hundred k's) overnighters on the calendar, and pick up a few other people to come along as well. But lately I've started to learn the new political side of it with access to Forests, permits, fees, etc. (Really pisses me off that road registered bikes get banned, but rally cars and 4WD's are OK!) This is another reason why sometimes the rides have to be organised a certain way.

Personally I love riding the "Grade 2 Firetrails" that Donkers and Daley have taken me on. I won't say parts weren't challenging on the Dakar and my current off-road riding abilities, but I have yet to drop my bike because I crashed it on one of these rides. And even if I did, as long as I can get up and get back on, that's not an issue for me. I bought my bike with a few dings, so I wouldn't cry if I did dump it. I did chicken out on a Grade2/3 ride one day at Pierces Creek, but since then I've changed my tyres, rear shock, revalved my forks, and put 4000km of off-road riding under my bum. But I'm still not going to try and push a F650 into somethin the enduro bikes can do, that I can't.

The next thing is learning the trails so I can lead club rides. I've decided that a GPS and getting "out there" is pretty much the only way to go. Hopefully I can sponge some info from the other guys and load up the GPS with a few good tracks. And that's why I hang around this thread. I find it doesn't sink in when I'm following someone, I have to go do it "myself" for it to save in the grey matter these days. But I'm not quite confident to go out by myself just yet, hence riding with the club guys is the best option for me at the moment.

So I'd join up with the DSMRA if you're OK with the fact that Adventure/BigBore rides are not their main priority right now, but you wouldn't mind helping me to try and make it more "mainstream" in the ride calendar.
Let me know how you get on.
I'm interested in more off-roading on my KLR... not single track but certainly gnarly fire trails etc, and yep most off-roaders seem to be into trailer rec rides....
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #2829
davorallyfan
Commonist
 
davorallyfan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Capitalist
Oddometer: 15,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Forgot to say.......thanks to all who have supported Hal at TJs....he still lives and breathes tyres but doesn't smell like them anymore.

Thanks Stargazer

Eu du pirelli

I look forward to seeing you two out and about

Hal did a great job, had top skills and always showed grace under pressure.

Now where do we go to buy tyres, chains, sprockets, pads and stuff!
__________________
7th Day Adventourist.
Terrafied
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #2830
Jdeks
Departed
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 937
Hey folks,

I'm looking at taking a few newer riders for a trip down long plain road and broken cart track in the brindies. Last time I went through there was for.the Alpine rally, and it was basically foot deep clay. Anyone know what its like now?

Cheers
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #2831
havafati
Yassdafarian
 
havafati's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Yass, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 1,937
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Ride to Araluen Tuesday 15th

Spurred into action by BergDonk’s message ...

Late notice, but we’ll be doing a ride to Araluen tomorrow via Tallaganda ...

Meeting at the Plains Rd intersection at Hoskinstown a bit before 9:30am – taking North Black Range / Gourock / Bombay FTs, then down to Araluen via Majors Creek ...

Fuel and food at Araluen ...

Back home via Reidsdale / Monga / Charley’s Crossing / Tarago ...

The run through Tallaganda is reasonably steep in places (e.g. Gourock FT) – might be a bit difficult on a big bike – dry season, so creek crossings should be OK – the rest is flowing dirt roads ...

The morning leg is about 140km (Bungendore to Araluen) – afternoon is about 120km (Araluen to Tarago) – fuel Araluen, and more fuel at Tarago if needed for the trip home ...

Let me know if keen – I’ll check PMs till about 9:00 this evening ...
Huge morning ride with Hoots and Tinbum. The 1150 is cursing me now as tears of fork oil drip slowly onto my garage floor. Had a top time but bailed after lunch as my parts bill was already high enough, no complaints though I had a ball.
No pics except for this one of Hoots about to tuck into a burger bigger than any of the hills we'd conquered that morning, Araluen pub Some video to to come.
Cheers
Fati

Yummo

havafati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #2832
tinbum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Carwoola NSW
Oddometer: 128
Thumb Good effort Fluro Sam and Fati

[QUOTE=havafati;20487134]Huge morning ride with Hoots and Tinbum. The 1150 is cursing me now as tears of fork oil drip slowly onto my garage floor. Had a top time but bailed after lunch as my parts bill was already high enough, no complaints though I had a ball.
No pics except for this one of Hoots about to tuck into a burger bigger than any of the hills we'd conquered that morning, Araluen pub Some video to to come.
Cheers
Fati

Yummo

Good to catch up again Fati, hope the repairs prove to be straight forward and they don't empty the wallet too much. You and the pig did a great job on those snarly tracks.

Thanks for organizing the day Fluro Sam, great effort and the KTM appears to have put a smile on your dial although you may need to install a snorkel for those Mayfield river crossings

Looking forward to seeing some of the footage,cheers Tinbum
tinbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #2833
dirty dennis
are we there yet
 
dirty dennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Yass NSW
Oddometer: 2,115
Fork seals on your 1150 should be a snack. Used to do them on the 1100, didnt bother to drain the fork oil (ok, I'm slack) Get the sealsfrom CBC ( some BMW fan should have the numbers) & give me a yell. drop in if you want & we can nail it in no time
__________________
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
but I have promise's to keep
and miles to go before I sleep" ( Robert Frost)

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #2834
tinbum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Carwoola NSW
Oddometer: 128
longer parts list......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
Fork seals on your 1150 should be a snack. Used to do them on the 1100, didnt bother to drain the fork oil (ok, I'm slack) Get the sealsfrom CBC ( some BMW fan should have the numbers) & give me a yell. drop in if you want & we can nail it in no time

Fati may need a slightly longer parts list......
tinbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #2835
ferals5
865+652
 
ferals5's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Goulburn, Australia
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Last week he and Dirty Dennis accompanied me as I went for my first ride since the accident...all good but haven't tried any dirt yet.

See you out and about.



ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014