Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 470
THis is a great ride report!

Thanks for posting all the photos.

Looks insanely dusty unlike the rain I rode in all day today.

Good on you fellaz.

Con...Get a MONTANA mate.

Stu

icebergstu screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 09:53 PM
icebergstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 787

Hey that's my new "backyard" - just brilliant place.
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #18
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman_ADV View Post
Now lets talk about toilet break etiquette on a trial ride ...............
but I didn't realize the Kiwi's had so much culture...........

I've just noticed he parked in the handicap park too ....................... What are you saying Gasman?

No beer for you at the next Flinders Classic

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #19
Gasman_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
good call....didn't see that

looks like he's hoping nobody else saw it either...........

I bet he sat down as well.........

Gasman_ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
Gasman_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
cheers Stu.

you must come and join us someday.......
Gasman_ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
Domonsura
Mad Bastard

Oddometer: 56
Well AJ....I could have been uncivilised and pissed over the edge into the reservoir.......that holds the water all of you drink - but I thought I'd do the right thing and use the provided facilities instead.
Do you Aussies sit down to piss do you? How weird. Most public mens toilets have this cool stainless wall you can write your name on - you should try it sometime.
Domonsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Domonsura
Mad Bastard

Con - I have a Garmin Oregon 450, pretty happy with it too, colour touch screen etc. Only resl difference i can see between Oregon and Montana is the Montana 650 has a 5MP camera (standard does not) and the Oregon doesn't have one.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Another top ride report MB .Thank you for posting
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #24
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 466
Look....I like my Bling as much as the next KTM Pilot.....but...

1) Just cannot seem to justify the cost of most of the bike related units on offer......Between $250 & $700 depending on model and where to buy.

2) a lot of the stuff I see on other's bikes are the size of a ciggie packet.....my eyesight's bad enough as it is and I'm not really keen on spending money on bifocals just so I can view an (overpriced gizmo)...no offence to those that have one by the way.

One of them mountable $15 mountable weatherproof GPS boxes/containers from Office works and my current Navman will do the trick I reckon.

I just need to find an adaptor that goes from the smallish KTM socket to a standard ciggie light socket and I'm done.
Anyone come across something like that?
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #25
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
Look....I like my Bling as much as the next KTM Pilot.....but...

1) Just cannot seem to justify the cost of most of the bike related units on offer......Between $250 & $700 depending on model and where to buy.

2) a lot of the stuff I see on other's bikes are the size of a ciggie packet.....my eyesight's bad enough as it is and I'm not really keen on spending money on bifocals just so I can view an (overpriced gizmo)...no offence to those that have one by the way.

One of them mountable $15 mountable weatherproof GPS boxes/containers from Office works and my current Navman will do the trick I reckon.

I just need to find an adaptor that goes from the smallish KTM socket to a standard ciggie light socket and I'm done.
Anyone come across something like that?
Not a good idea mate.

1 - it will vibrate the crap out of your navman and fk it up
2 - it wont have a decent clamp system so again it will be sht
3 - with the sun shining you wont be able to see the crap screen and with your eyesight...
4 - if you find some cool roads and spots you wont be able to mark or waypoint them and with your memory...
5 - it wont tell you when a good time to go fishing is
6 - it wont mark your track so you have to remember where you have been and with your memory...
etc
etc
etc

There are a million good reasons not to cut corners and get the cheapest option.

DEMONSURA - Montana has heaps of features Oregen doesnt for instance PROFILES and many more.

600 650 or 650t are the ducks nuts mate and made for ADV riding.

Stu

icebergstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergstu View Post
Not a good idea mate.

3 - with the sun shining you wont be able to see the crap screen and with your eyesight...
4 - if you find some cool roads and spots you wont be able to mark or waypoint them and with your memory...
6 - it wont mark your track so you have to remember where you have been and with your memory...
etc
etc
etc

There are a million good reasons not to cut corners and get the cheapest option.

DEMONSURA - Montana has heaps of features Oregen doesnt for instance PROFILES and many more.

Stu
HaHaHa....how about I just let you lead
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Domonsura
Mad Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergstu View Post
Not a good idea mate.

etc
etc
etc

Stu
Everything else you've said is right Stu in terms of reasons not to use a car GPS - they're just not designed for it. You may as well strap a compass to the bars. However - I don't agree on the 'many more features' part. The Oregon has profiles, and everything I can see in the specs for the Montana except a camera, although the Oregon still has a picture viewer. Mine is the 450T version though (which just means it came with topo maps preloaded). Both have 'trans-reflective' colour touchscreen, auto night mode, and all the other little bells and whistles with some minor differences. Oregon has slightly less built in memory (although they both support microSD, I have a 16GB card in mine to store maps so this is a moot point), 200 waypoints compared to 4000 with the Montana 650 (although again, with a microSD card in there this is a moot point). Oregon has Tide tables and 'good fishing days' app built in, Montana is 'optional with Bluechart' which is a marine map to have to purchase. Both have the same battery life of 16 hours.Both have a nice accurate 3 axis compass and the ability to use the compass for either directional (travel in general direction with on the go auto corrections) or turn by turn navigation with auto correct - so you can either follow a set track, or you can give a destination and 'aim' for it offroad or tell it to navigate 'on-road'. On my Oregon, I can tell it to re-navigate onroad in the middle of an offroad track and it will backtrack automatically to the point where it has mapped roads on file and then take over. Both have altimeter with barometric pressure. Montana APPEARS to have a bigger screen and the unit itself is somewhat bigger and weighs more - HOWEVER - the screen sizes are deceiving - according to Garmin's own specs the resolutions are the same but the Oregon's screen is actually bigger than the Montana's by about 1/2" in both directions. Go figure. Both have wireless file transfer, both are garmin connect compatible and both are 'Adventure downloadable' with the latest firmware. Like I said Stu, I don't see any features that would make it worth spending the extra, and the screen is no bigger so there goes that poor eyesight justification. If you can't see the screen, hit the zoom button. The oregon is also just small enough to tuck in a pocket for a walk as I do when we go to National Parks or when I'm on one of the trials courses to mark good photo spots, (or hang on the supplied carabiner on your belt). The Montana not so much. You can turn the Montana on it's side to 'landscape' mode. Not on the Oregon. The Montana has a flashlight.....not the Oregon. And they quote 'overall software improvements' as one of the selling points. The reality is, most improvements that came with the Montana also came with the latest firmware upgrade for my Oregon. The other reality is, there's a limit to how many blades you need on a swiss army knife, if you get my drift. Most of the functions on devices like this serve more to confuse than help, so just because Garmin adds more fancy bullshit and few more display colours etc to a GPS doesn't make it necessarily better at anything...lol. You CAN get heart rate monitors for both though .......maybe not a bad idea for some of our older riders???
The fact is the Con, you got lost buddy. If you're gonna ride by yourself, you owe it you yourself and your family to make sure you get home without dramas. My GPS has already got me 'unlost' twice and saved me from running out of gas, once with ~1 litre to spare. And I can find my tracks whenever I want them :) Money well spent and I don't regret it one little bit. Oh - P.S. Oregon is available for $299 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW...ht_5553wt_1181 ........HALF the price of the Montana http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GARMI...102e713&_uhb=1
That's 6 tanks of gas, one and a bit tyres or about 30 visits to the bakery :lol: . Food for thought.

Domonsura screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #28
kano650
more cowbell

Oddometer: 215
Hey Domonsura, I'm upgrading my GPS60cx and have been looking at the Montana in particular. Its an expensive unit but looks the goods IMO mainly due to the size of the screen. Unless I'm missing something, on the garmin website the Oregon 450T has a 3" diagonal screen size ( 240x400 pixels) compared to the Montana 650t with 4" diag (272x480 pixels). Looking at some video of the two side by side the Montana is clearly a much larger unit, although about the same thickness as the Oregon. One feature I like on the Montana is the dual orientation screen allowing it be mounted in landscape or portrait position on the bike. I just re-read your post and see you mention the Oregon can't do this. After using the 60cx for so long with such a small screen and limited lateral viewing area I'm thinking either unit would be good but may be worth shelling out the extra $$ for the large screen and landscape mode. Hey, if Colebatch uses the Montana its gotta be good right?

kano650 screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 12:06 AM
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #29
Domonsura
Mad Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kano650 View Post
Hey Domonsura, I'm upgrading my GPS60cx and have been looking at the Montana in particular. Its an expensive unit but looks the goods IMO mainly due to the size of the screen. Unless I'm missing something, on the garmin website the Oregon 450T has a 3" diagonal screen size ( 240x400 pixels) compared to the Montana 650t with 4" diag (272x480 pixels). Looking at some video of the two side by side the Montana is clearly a much larger unit, although about the same thickness as the Oregon. One feature I like on the Montana is the dual orientation screen allowing it be mounted in landscape or portrait position on the bike. I just re-read your post and see you mention the Oregon can't do this. After using the 60cx for so long with such a small screen and limited lateral viewing area I'm thinking either unit would be good but may be worth shelling out the extra $$ for the large screen and landscape mode. Hey, if Colebatch uses the Montana its gotta be good right?
That's weird - I was comparing the specs side by side for the 450 Oregon and the 650 Montana directly from the Garmin website on two separate tabs while I wrote that post, and the Montana specs definitely showed smaller screen dimensions at the time - I even thought about copy pasting it into the post then - looks like I should have as they seem to have changed (no shit - I even got the missus to come and check it as it didn't even seem right to me, but thats what it said!)
Oh well. I was wrong on that point then. Wouldn't have been the first time :) (Although this time I had help from Garmin)
PERSONALLY it wouldn't make enough of a difference to cough up the extra, as that extra size of the Montana makes it just a little more unwieldy IMHO and while landscape view would be nice I'm not sure it would make enough difference (to me) whilst riding to make it that much easier to read (to spend $300 extra). Each to their own though. Maybe they'll come down in price drastically like the Oregon did......(straight after I bought the bloody thing )
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #30
kano650
more cowbell

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonsura View Post
That's weird - I was comparing the specs side by side for the 450 Oregon and the 650 Montana directly from the Garmin website on two separate tabs while I wrote that post, and the Montana specs definitely showed smaller screen dimensions at the time
ya sure it wasn't all the dust in your eyes from Saturday's ride? there was certainly plenty of it.
kano650 is online now   Reply With Quote