Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #1261
Dirty3
Just add sauce

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
Highway ridin´ is not my favorite thing to do, but can be well done with the Tenere: on several occasions I've done long hauls like 800km's(and more....) on one day, cruisin' at around 120/130kmh. Last summer I came back from Prague to Holland, thru Germany, and did almost 900km's in a one days ride, no sweat! It's really an allround allroad travel bike(mind you, it's NOT a hardcore offroad bike, but does that very well too with the proper tyres), it can do almost anything, only not very fast, which I don't mind. It has a smooth engine(for a thumper) with a very good EFI, good fuel economy, very useable power(48hp), good load capacity and it is lotsa fun to ride! And it looks good too!
But that's my biased opinion, based on almost 90.000km, trouble free I can tell from my experiences.
Greetz, Hans.
Een grote hulp Hans, bedankt!

From a half Dutchy
Dirty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #1262
TdB 85
n00b

Oddometer: 3
After a long time reading along on Adventure Rider (mostly this thread and numerous RR's), I finally decided to register (also on recommendation by a buddy who has long been a member) and join you guys.

Besides, I noticed this thread lacks a matt grey Ténéré anyway.

What does that look like in real life?
Hope the pictures work:

And last July somewhere around Lago Maggiore, Italy:

Hideous topcase indeed, but it does come in handy when commuting or on trips where I don't leave the paved roads.

Later this year, I'll be riding from The Netherlands to the North Cape.
TdB 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #1263
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueleuk View Post
Nice pics. Where were they taken?

Sam
Sorry for the delay in replying, those pics were taken on the AdvRider French camping trip a couple of years ago. Magnon is doing another one this year. Have a look in the Europe section if you're interested.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #1264
Sportakus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzabren View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
That's looks like...

But too clean for me...

Cheers.

YAMAHA XT660Z Ténéré 2008
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
Sportakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #1265
phil ten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
hay guys

just looked through all 85 pages of this thread . Some lovely Tenre's on display, i have the Khaki brown 09 model, will post some pics once she's back together. Here in the UK we have snow at the mo so thought i would treat it to some TLC :)

Im looking for some replacement bars as i bent the OE ones. i run 35mm "shim stack" style risers at the mo and find its a good height for me. I want some replacement bars that are simliar (but stronger) than the stock ones so i can continue to use the risers. any ideas????

Also what tail tidy's are you guys using? most people i talk to about the Tenere hate the back end of it, its quite heavy too. Here in the UK the most common thing is just to move the license plate up and cut a bit of the bottom. looks a bit better....i want something much lighter though.

Cheers
phil ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #1266
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil ten View Post

Im looking for some replacement bars as i bent the OE ones. i run 35mm "shim stack" style risers at the mo and find its a good height for me. I want some replacement bars that are simliar (but stronger) than the stock ones so i can continue to use the risers. any ideas????
Cheers
The Renthal 613 bars seem to be popular.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #1267
phil ten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post
The Renthal 613 bars seem to be popular.
yes they are. i believe they are "high" enduro bars, there about 25mm higher than standard and you have to re-route the throttle cables (which isn't hard). but if there not quite high enough you cant add risers as the cable wont reach.

the advantage i have at the mo with my standard bars & shim stack risers is that i can change the height for what im riding. IE a 10mm drop to make the bars more comfy for a long tarmac ride or 10/15mm heigher for a day on the dirt.

Going with 613's means i will be stuck at one height, thats why i want some bars that are similar to the standard ones....but cant find any
phil ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #1268
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
What do you think of removing the fork gaiters.?
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #1269
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,567
Morocco Nov 2012

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #1270
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseenya View Post
cheers cuss, hoping to sell my xtz750 and get a xt660z this year. I'm 6 foot and was looking at the kahedo seat as an upgrade.
As an aside (and a cheaper option to explore) I bought riser suspension links for mine which lifted it up sufficiently for me..also helped with the handling .

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #1271
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Would any Tenere owners prefer a 690 Enduro R yes or no and why?

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #1272
webbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Describe your riding. 690 R is lighter, more powerful etc. but thats just numbers. The Ten could srill,be the better choice depending on your needs.
webbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #1273
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
KTM blow up more.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #1274
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
No, I´ll stick to my trusty Tenere(no major problems so far, at 90.000km's). It does all I want a bike to do(for me anyway, that's all day ridin' that is mostly backroads and twisty mountain roads and also highway runnin', touring/travelling, occasional offroad), got sufficient power, good fuel economy/EFI, not too expensive in maintenance and lotsa fun to ride and oh yeah.....it looks good too!! I've never ridden the 690, but from what I read in several tests and on forums, I don't need that kind of bike, imho.(and it breaks down too often...). To each its own, I guess.
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com

dallastx screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 04:03 AM
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #1275
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbiker View Post
Describe your riding. 690 R is lighter, more powerful etc. but thats just numbers. The Ten could srill,be the better choice depending on your needs.
My problem is I have sold my KTM 300 EXC at age 46 cannot keep up with my brotherinlaw (10 year my junior) and his mates any more. So after 6 months of research I purchased a 2012 690 new with Akra. I have only done about 600 km, however it has become apparent to me that this thing loves dirt and just puts up with the road. It takes me almost 2 hours to get to decent dirt. The dirt close to me is to snotty for a 690 but perfect for a 300 or similar!

So I now categorise the 690 as the hoon of adventure bikes, however I test rode a Tenere the other day and yes much heavier, softer inferior suspension and less power, however it was way more comfy on the road!

So mad as it may seem I am thinking to sell my 690 and get a Tenere to do true adventure bike riding being both tar and dirt! The 12 690 is a massive improve over prior models, however I would have to spend money on it to get a dash like the Tenere has standard and change seat etc!

The 690 will blow any adventure bike off on the dirt, but is ordinary on the road and cannot do true single. So as much as I love KTM, I don't see the point as,a true adv bike without spending more money on it?

So I am thinking with the money left over to get another single trail dirt bike and Tenere, then I have all my bases covered!

Let me know if you think I am nuts?

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote