Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #10771
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
dakar com

Down in twenty-fourth place, Paulo Gonçalves has paid a hefty price for his technical problems. Even though he's been clawing his way up again, he's still 1 h 41' down on the leader, but just 20 seconds behind KTM's Dutchman Henk Knuiman, Marc Coma's former teammate.
Always wondered what happened to Knuiman since the days he rode as Coma's WC. Any Dutch inmates have the scoop on him?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #10772
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Good Morning F5 crew...See they are off to an early start today - Time to catch up.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #10773
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
OK, so CP2 is earlier than WP4? Unusual that a CP is not a waypoint.
I think so. More riders at CP2 than at WP4...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #10774
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
OK, so CP2 is earlier than WP4? Unusual that a CP is not a waypoint.
First time I've seen that (in my very limited experience).
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #10775
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
It's ironic that he struggles so many years as a privateer on a WR / YZ, and the year he signs to Honda the podium is out of his reach. And to add insult to injury, they are even thinking of replacing him. Talk about shit end of the stick

I would love for him to go back to Yamaha and win the race one day.
I hear ya! I'm with you on that one..

Even if i dont like the Honda brand very much and how they do things i do belive it is good they enter as a factory.

What i see here is that they take a potential podium rider and expecting good results, but when it went in the fuel issues they qote "well we are only here to learn this year and going for the big win next year" only after a few stages and that is not so fun for a rider that really thought that he could go for the win..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #10776
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
If the low fender causes any problems today we'll just blame Duke and the Fattee's sticker.
Duke is in St Louis right now, I can get monkeyfez to pass that word along.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #10777
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
I think so. More riders at CP2 than at WP4...
And the times don't add up.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #10778
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Senegal want the rally back or the Dakar name

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...#ixzz2HxBzHgRj

I don't care much for Senegal, but ASO's arrogance with regards to the copyright of the Dakar name on You tube, etc kinda has me rooting for the Africans on this one!
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #10779
Nitro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Hi guys
damm my internet sucks, this is the 4th time i tried to post this

Hi there guys
Here we are,one week later at the rest day.
It is great to be here after a hectic week at the "office".I had a slow start to it all.I kind of always get so intimidated by all the action around me and need to settle in.The quality / ability of riders has improved tremendously and the advantage I thought I might have in the dunes , did not materialise.I did catch up in the dunes but lost it on the high speed sections that I absolutely hate with a passion.The first week had a lot of really fast sections in it,and dust was a major problem.The stage from Calama to Salta was so fast that the average speed over 276km of special stage was 110 km per hour................that is insane.One could ride the bike at full "taps" for the first 120km, then it slowed down, but the dust was so bad that you could not overtake.
My dislike to quads increased by a 120% ( just joking ) ,because I got stuck twice behind a quad in a stage and had to follow the guy to the finish with a fright train of riders following me.We were all "luss" to wring the guys neck..........bloody fooooool !!!!!
Riding over the Andies was very cold again,but I was prepared for that.I should have duct taped the air vents on my helmet, because the only part of my body that froze was my sculp...........wish I had some hair.But luckily the "solar panel"of mine survived the freezing temperature.
I was very shaken by the tragic accident of the young French rider.Most of us were infront of the rider,so we did not know about the accident until the finish of the liaison.Rumers has it that he fell asleep,because he hit the police car on a bend on a downhill ( he was either going to fast and lost control or fell asleep ).We had past a hight of 4975 meters and on the way down I suffered from a headache and also had to pull over because I was feeling very tired.It is just tragic and it gets you to think how dangerous this is.
The last 2 days were a marathon stage where we as bike riders don't get to see our service crew.It was 2 long stages and the organisers had it in for us.The bivouac was in a gymnastic hall and we were all supplied with sleeping mats/blankets/shoes/t-shirts/toothbrush........you name it, to keep us comfortable.We were only allowed to work with what we could carry on us,but in extreme cases there was a service truck were on could lend tool from.
Yesterday was for a change my day with some magic riding terrain.I felt so at home and was able for the first time to ride the way I know I can.Major luck was involved, I have to add that,but that is all part of it,I guess.The day was devided into 2 special stages,but due to lots of rain the night before the organisers were forced to cancelle the first part because of the rivers that were overflowing.
The cool thing was that the most part of the special was wet,so dust was not an issue.The ride was very technical and very tiring .Lots of riverbeds with rocks,small choppy dunes,fesh-fesh that was wet for a change,but still difficult to ride.I passed a lot of riders. We got to a riverbed were there was mayor confusion with the navigation.The American,Casselli was the culprit ,he headed off in the wrong direction and everybody followed him.The top riders were riding in circles and lost at that time already a good 20 minutes in race time.I followed my road book and took the correct route and just rode on.
I am in absolute shock guys...............15th overall for the day.........I am lost for words.
I am "kakking" myself ( sorry for the French guys ) to start among those super fast guys tomorrow.At least I have Brett there to hold my hand ( he finished in an awesome 17th for the day ) and we made out that we will ride together after the start.
My bike is running like clockwork and for now we are not changing the engine.When Jan does the oil changes he takes special care in studying the oil sieve for metal pieces,and the oil was super clean up to now.The bike is not having trouble to start and is not smoking,so for now we will monitor the situation closely.One gets penalised for engine changes,so we will only do it if it is really necessary.
Having Gilly here is such an amazing experience.She is Daves and my Dakar mummy.She does washing for us every night, see's to it that we take our pills and" buzzes" around us to keep us happy.There is nothing like a women's touch to keep us kids in control.
Charles is taking care of passport / customs when we need to pass borders.He downloads all the Go Pro footage and helps with everything.He is our daddy to the equation."Jannemanne" and Onno are in control of servicing the bikes,changing tyres and driving endless hours.We are a really cool team and have no issues what so ever.
I believe that "Lisa Lips" is in her element of keeping you guys updated.Thanx my bock,I really appreciate that you do this for all of us.
To all of you out there, Thanx for routing for me. Makes me feel special that I can represent our country at this level.Week 2 is upon us, the harder part of the rally, so lets see what lies ahead.
I want to stand on that podium in San Diago.
You all take care and hold thumbs.
All the best
Ingo=
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #10780
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I don't care much for Senegal, but ASO's arrogance with regards to the copyright of the Dakar name on You tube, etc kinda has me rooting for the Africans on this one!
Nice find, I wish them the best, but the only ones who stand to gain are the lawyers I think
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #10781
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I'd like to see him take Cyrils spot over at ktm..then win the podium

The old switcharo...not a far fetched idea
If he aint getting any factory backup next year i think he is on the Yamaha where he belongs..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #10782
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,262
Quote:

Me too.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #10783
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 708
Quote:

Nice, that's for them picking on our videos.
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #10784
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:

Maybe the French could send a few fighter planes and bomb them while they're in the neighborhood. :
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #10785
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Lopez, where is he?
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote