Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #436
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I seem to have lost the link to the power sports part page for the NCVT needle, could somebody please relink it? Thanks.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #437
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
I seem to have lost the link to the power sports part page for the NCVT needle, could somebody please relink it? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
NCVT purchased here:
http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...4-MEN-671.html

^
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #438
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Something like that...

I've had excellent results with a Holtzman ATACC fitted to the FCR on a DR-Z pre-set for 0C base temperature and set-up for 0m base altitude. Needle and jets are sized for 0C and 0m and the ATACC takes care of my 0-45C temperature and 0-800m altitude range. It has also allowed economical part throttle cruise mixtures at my more common 300-500m 20-35C ranges without the risk of burning up a piston on a freezing Lake Eyre morning and the engine isn't running fat and thirsty as the day heats up on the climb out of the hole. Mixtures are always within a couple of points of where they should be on the WBO2.
BTW, once the ATACC has been set-up for base altitude and temperature jetting can be tuned at normal altitude and temperature. For my purposes it is desirable to tune at about 400m and 25C with the ATACC connected for the best overall result.

The downside is that it is quite an expensive little device, but for the amount of head banging it eliminates it is IMO worth it.
You mean something like this?
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/...&productID=358

Interesting!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #439
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow,, do want!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #440
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny thing actually. My TS250X comes standard with an altitude compensator which I daresay works much the same way as that Holtzman unit does. I wonder if it also adjusts for temperature? And this is with a Mikuni TM flatslide carb.
Cmsnl has one for 230 euros.
Peter Stevens appears to have had one at some stage going by this document: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/76699994...olete-Location
But no price listed.
Jeffery Honda nil stock, BikePartsSuz nil stock.
P/N: 15770-13A00
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #441
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Interesting stuff

Have you guys heard about the apt smart carb?
They've got top pull two stroke carbs for sale and a fair few people using them now with good results.
They have side pull four stroke carbs coming soon.

Basically its supposed to give your more power for less fuel a les emisons and it also doesn't need jetting, Just stick it on and roost away.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #442
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #443
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nothing really to report I'm afraid. Basically no riding for me since last Nov. Knee surgery later this week, so hopefully back on board mid April or so.

It took a while to convince the 'gatekeeper' GP(s) that I had a problem that required surgery, the Xrays just showed arthritis, and then with Christmas and queues for MRIs and the orthopedic surgeon, and then a bed, its taken this long. Cartilage tear and stress fractures to be attended to, and hopefully not inflame the arthritis. Deferring the inevitable replacements as long as possible is the objective. This is my previous 'good' knee, with only one arthroscope to date, about 20 yrs ago. My right has had 3 arthroscopes and an ACL reconstruction, and has almost no cartilage left either. Its all payback for trying to be a marathon runner back in the '80s, 30 yrs A grade squash, football in the '60s and '70s etc. New hips won't be too far behind either.

Gotta keep riding while I can.

I did get a brief ride with the intake bellmouth in when the boys and girls came to visit for the Folk Festival a while back and it needs a little more work, or else I'll revert to without. It changed the low speed throttle response in a negative way, and no discernible change with a few revs up.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #444
Carbster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Ordered the needle shown above. I just ordered a 790 kit today, hoping to do a dyno pass before with this needle and then after the big jug install. Ive never done any extensive tune work past mxrobs standard jetting recommendations. I might have gone up a main jet size to try and compensate for removing the 2 brothers buttplug. Dear Lord its louder than shit now! Mistake! Need the larger of the three sizes of tips available or buttplugs as my pals call em

Ill try and post up some dyno sheets this spring if I can find this thread again.
Carbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #445
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbster View Post
Ordered the needle shown above. I just ordered a 790 kit today, hoping to do a dyno pass before with this needle and then after the big jug install. Ive never done any extensive tune work past mxrobs standard jetting recommendations. I might have gone up a main jet size to try and compensate for removing the 2 brothers buttplug. Dear Lord its louder than shit now! Mistake! Need the larger of the three sizes of tips available or buttplugs as my pals call em

Ill try and post up some dyno sheets this spring if I can find this thread again.
Be interesting if someone from NA tried the NCVT in a 650. Down under, NA jetting specs are always too rich. We always assumed different fuel specs, but based on Phreaky Phil's experience, maybe not?

There is a 790 build thread that might be of interest here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860980

Make sure you gap your rings

Have fun
Old 03-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #446
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

How did the surgery go, mate?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #447
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How did the surgery go, mate?
Hopefully OK. Hobbled in, and more or less walked out some hours later with less discomfort. Maybe the the left over anaesthetic helped

I see the doc later this week and hopefully get the all clear to get back on the bike soon. But definitely only deferring the replacements.

In the meantime, while prognosticating (nice big word!), AKA being bored over the Christmas break, I was reading Colebatch's latest adventure:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987

Much of the 300 + pages could be considered spam, so skip that, and its a terrific read.

In fact over Christmas with my daughters home, it got them talking, to the point that last night they arrived in St Petersburg and will hop on the train to Beijing in a few days with a number stop overs along the way. Not quite an off road 2 wheel adventure, but exciting nevertheless.

In the thread, they discussed GPS units, and this discussion resulted in me acquiring a new Montana 600 which conveniently arrived in the mail on Christmas Eve.

I've been using GPS devices on and off since about 1988, so have an interest in them and the technology, which is amazing stuff. The first GPS I used cost over $200k, filled the back of a station wagon, and we could only it use for a couple of hours after midnight because that was the only time when there were enough satellites in our sky. Took about an hour acquiring data, and then about the same amount of time to process it all on a 386 PC, which alone cost about $20k. Big bickies back then. Technology has come along way in a short time.

In recent times I'd been using a Magellan XL which was the top of the range hand held in the day, 2006. Also an Aldi bike GPS for routing. After I smashed the Aldi in an incident with an overhanging branch hidden in the shadows, I got a second hand Garmin 60CSX to try. A bit/lot smaller, and with routable maps so it replaced both the Magellan and Aldi. In the end, not really, as it was a bit small to read with my old eyes and the topo mapping was nothing like as good as the old Magellan, so I was using both it and the Magellan still.

The Montana fixes all that. Nice large screen, and easy to read in bright sunlight, and lots of memory for track storage. The topo maps it comes with are routable, and have the best detail of any maps I've seen around here, and maybe elsewhere too. They also keep their detail when zooming out. It seems to have all the good points of the others I've used, all in one unit, and almost none of the things that annoyed, or could be better. Perfect GPS? Maybe not, but getting there. Even got an ADV thread dedicated to it:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775

It did have an issue with charging the LiIon battery which was finally resolved a couple of weeks ago with a replacement unit. It all worked in the interim, just not with the LiIon battery.

Mounted up with a Garmin Rugged Mount on a RAM ball on the DR, and I have a windscreen mount for the car where I've been testing it, which is another story.

All this time to prognosticate while not riding has meant that recent months have been expensive A new GPS meant I needed a new ute to put it in because even though I could put it on the bike, what then? So while I've been hobbling about, I've been getting the ute organised.

Mazda BT50, 147 kw (200 hp) 470 Nm (350 lb ft) 5 cyl diesel with 6sp manual. Like they say in the advertising, awesome! More here about what I've done, and still to do:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...f=187&t=141977

(the 4wd site is a bit crashy atm, so the link may not work)

In the meantime, I have another DR project. I got a cheap water proof digital voltmeter on eBay that'll fill the vacant spot on my DR's dash that was previously occupied with the heated grip switch below the idiot lights.

Its just sitting there in the above pic, and you can see the wires, but you get the idea. I'll hook it into an ignition circuit. Not really needed, but interesting all the same.

As soon as I can ride again, I'll finish sorting the carb, again. 'Finish' is a strong word isn't it? As soon as I can ride again, I'll play with the carb some more, but as noted above, I'm thinking that the bell mouth might come out if I can't get it better. Gotta get out on it and test...................
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #448
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Loving it, I won't bother telling you to keep up the good work because I know you always do.
Good to hear the surgery results are looking good so far.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #449
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I mounted up the voltmeter and fitted some new grips and then....

The Doc said riding is OK, but...... he does race downhill mountain bikes, so understands

Right now, its short rides, and the more physical the better, but keep the feet on the pegs. No impacts, no twisting, but plenty of bending and up and down, sitting to standing is good. No sitting for lengthy periods for another 6-8 weeks or so.

So I have had a couple of short fun rides out on big Berg and the last couple of days have been playing around with the carb on the DR again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
I had a typo above, picked up by DR Steve. Fixed above, and here again in case someone misses it.

Main150
NeedleNCVT
clip from Top2.5
PAJ70
Leak3 T
Pilot40
Fuel Screw1.5
Float9
Start85

The leak will change, and works with improved snap into 3/4 turn after which it starts to bog.

The bellmouth is definitely a retrograde step. I filled the extra holes with epoxy putty, and tried a couple of subtle changes to the curve of the trumpet, but it doesn't respond to the throttle from closed or part like it does without it there at all. And I can't get the idle right either with it.

It does remind me of when I fitted a deflector to the top of the air box to try and get more air around the filter and even up the dirt instead of it all seeming to hit the top of the filter. That stuffed up the acoustics in some way and the idle and low speed circuits with it.

So gotta get some distance on it now and check fuel consumption properly, and decide how much snap I'll leave the ALJ at. 3 turns is max leak, for less snap and max economy. As noted before, it keeps getting snappier until less than 1 turn where it starts to bog. I guess I'll see how the consumption goes at 3 t, and then 2, and then 1, and decide. But I have options and its just a screwdriver away to change it anytime anyway.

I need a big ride
Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #450
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Good to hear your back on the bike !

Interesting regarding the bellbouth. Kinda hard to tell from that pic, but it appears as though there is not much taper - just a radius.
If you look at the pic I posted a few pages back, mine does not really have a radius as such, it just tapers the larger diameter into the smaller one.

Maybe your getting some turbulence around the air bleeds causing an issue ?
Wouldn't of thought it would be any worse than not having anything there at all though.

Interested to see where you end up.