Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #4096
Brocksamoyed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Braille Lithium Battery

Howdy,

Mine died after 3 years and a mate only got a few months more on his XT660R.

I have replaced mine with a Braille Lithium Battery. Scary light and the CCA is much much higher than the std battery.

Apart from the lack of weight, (its soo dam light compared to OEM) if you let your bike sit for 12 months, you only loose about 10% power. Ordinary battery charger will bring it back up to 100%. Oh - and they have a life double plus of ordinary battery. Based on research, I should get between 7-10 years service. In the long run, it is much cheaper.

Only had it for a few months, obtained from Battery World for $185 (G7). So far so good. Apparently Lithium can be an issue in an ice cold environment, but I doubt that is going to be an issue for me.

http://www.braillebattery.com/index....ies/green_lite

Hope this info helps.

2012 Triumph Explorer
2010 XTZ660 Tenere
1996 XR250 & 1994 XL185 (gone)
Brocksamoyed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #4097
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by waalex View Post
Has anybody had any issues with the battery in their Tenere?

I went away and my bike wasn't ridden for 3 months. When I returned, the bike wouldn't start as the battery was flat. I charged it overnight and it would last for about a week, then it was too flat to start the bike.

I think it's just a battery issue, with the battery no longer holding charge for very long. I have checked it all out with the multimeter and the alternator seems to be charging correctly (14v) and there is no draw on the battery with the ignition switched off. The battery is only about a year old, and the battery in my last bike lasted about 6 years. Am I expecting too much from my battery, or does anybody have any suggestions as to what else could be wrong?

What is the best battery to replace it with? Cheapest place to buy a bike battery?

Thanks for your help.
Check the plug on the rec/reg to ensure its not corroded? Known issue.......but can't recall if it leads to flat batteries.....

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #4098
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Check the plug on the rec/reg to ensure its not corroded? Known issue.......but can't recall if it leads to flat batteries.....
yes it leads to flat batteries..... mainly while riding the bike coz battery wasn't being charged due to rec/reg (this is a well known warranty issue with bikes mainly OS "before we got our tens here in OZ") but still worth keeping an eye on. i say the battery is on the way out buy the sounds of that waalex.

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH

regie308 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:42 PM
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #4099
Tomack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Is anyone using a $130 Kaoko cruise controll or a $16 throttle rocker?

What are the pros & cons other than price?

Cheers

Tomack screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:19 AM
Tomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #4100
Cruza
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey Tomack. I have the throttle rocker on my Tenere. I find it's handy when doing road k's but it seems to get in the way for any offroad stuff. I don't do a lot of road ks, but I keep it in my tankbag just in case. I can't comment on the cruise control tho sorry.
On an un-related topic,does anybody use an airhawk seat on their Tenere?
Cruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #4101
Tomack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thanx Cruza, theres a throttle rocker heading my way
Tomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #4102
chewy52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruza View Post
Hey
On an un-related topic,does anybody use an airhawk seat on their Tenere?
Yep, a medium cruiser model. I bought a Kahedo seat from OTR. Expensive for poor quality and less comfort than the standard seat. (go local if you intend to retrim) The air hawk is fantastic, i even use it in the 4bie on long trips.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #4103
BoundaryRider
ApprenticeAdventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
Mine are the same. I dropped the brake pedal down and am just mindful of how easy the bugger locks up. I did consider leaking some air into the system to deliberately make them spongey.
How did you drop the brake pedal down, I can't see any adjustment for it.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #4104
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

The bolt that presses the hydraulic piston has adjustment on it, i just means you'll have to press more pedal before you get any breaking happening. I did this with mine and it worked good enough for me.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #4105
Dash65
wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer: 303
Lowering Brake Lever

Is there a way of lowering the brake lever?

Due to an old bike accident I have lost about %50 of ankle movement so I need to lift my leg to use the brake, if there was a way to lower the brake lever it would make it a lot easier for me to use.

Cheers,
Dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by regie308 View Post
The bolt that presses the hydraulic piston has adjustment on it, i just means you'll have to press more pedal before you get any breaking happening. I did this with mine and it worked good enough for me.

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional
Dash65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #4106
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

from memory i'm pretty sure i un-done that alen key bolt holding it on and couldn't find any adjustment... so i would say no! nothing to make the lever sit lower anyway. But check it to make sure i'm right.

If there is definitely no adjuster you could always cut it 2/3rds of the way through with a angle grinder (from bottom toward the top) and halfway down the lever arm.... bend the footrest part down to desired level and then weld the cut back up.... bobs your uncle
(you won't need much to make a big difference)

cheers

Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #4107
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
All,
Some posts back there were complaints of handlebar vibration when with aftermarket bark buster type guards are fitted, due to the OEM handle bar end weights needed to be removed and smaller and lighter weights fitted from the aftermarket kit.
Seeing I had last Friday off intending to go for a ride....but again it rained.....not that I am complaining.....
I refitted the larger OEM bar end weights, and drilled out the centre and tapped a thread to accomidate the countersunk bolt that came with the SW Motech bark busters, I had to slightly reposition the handle bar mounts.
On the road there is way less vibration, before I was left with numbness in both hands.
I also did the OEM exhaust modification by hammering a length of reo bar down the length to open her up for more exhaust flow....the bottom end tourque is better and not much louder.
There is a mod where they cut the front top off the exhaust and cut out the CAT Converter....might do that later.

Also on another topic, i ordered some parts from OTR.de....
I fitted a stage 2 air filter cover tonight and will test tomorrow.
A tall screen from OTR.de is 66.39 Euro, so why do screens in Oz cost $130+ delivery?

I bent my OEM gear lever and bought a replacement, it just so happens that the gear leaver replacement from OTR is made by Touratech....cost 27.56 Euro...so why does Touratech Australia sell the same item for $79????
And a set of plastic screen scews....6.64 euro...not sure how much the straler would charge...
all up including freight was $220......and it took three weeks to deliver....
I am all for helping the Australian suppliers but when their price is a rip off.......
I
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #4108
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by regie308 View Post
from memory i'm pretty sure i un-done that alen key bolt holding it on and couldn't find any adjustment... so i would say no! nothing to make the lever sit lower anyway. But check it to make sure i'm right.

If there is definitely no adjuster you could always cut it 2/3rds of the way through with a angle grinder (from bottom toward the top) and halfway down the lever arm.... bend the footrest part down to desired level and then weld the cut back up.... bobs your uncle
(you won't need much to make a big difference)

cheers
The rod going into the master cylinder is adjustable you use it to adjust the brake pedal height, shorten the rod to lower the height.....
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #4109
OzJuJu
Team Barracuda

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomack View Post
Is anyone using a $130 Kaoko cruise controll or a $16 throttle rocker?

What are the pros & cons other than price?

Cheers
I had the Kaoko on my old Ten and hopefully my new Ten that arrives next week (fingers crossed) will have one.
I liked it, your pinky gets a workout but it works well and winds off as soon as you wind back the throttle.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #4110
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
The rod going into the master cylinder is adjustable you use it to adjust the brake pedal height, shorten the rod to lower the height.....
yeah rob i already sugested that in my earlier post: 4105... it seemed to do the job for me when i had my tenere.