User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 AM   #3961
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,737
Be safe and take care fellow lucky bastards , see yas on the tracks next year
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #3962
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Hey guys, just found this thread. Signing in from the far south coast of NSW.
Thanks to Sol for directing me here from DBW.. sooo much info :)
I have a 2009 690R with a few bling bits, love everything about the bike except for the noisy bash plate (b&b).
I lined it with rubber matting which didn't help much, next to do is try to eliminate metal to metal contact points and hopefully that fixes it. Its so bad I am considering putting the original plastic thing back on.

mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3963
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
Hey guys, just found this thread. Signing in from the far south coast of NSW.
Thanks to Sol for directing me here from DBW.. sooo much info :)
I have a 2009 690R with a few bling bits, love everything about the bike except for the noisy bash plate (b&b).
I lined it with rubber matting which didn't help much, next to do is try to eliminate metal to metal contact points and hopefully that fixes it. Its so bad I am considering putting the original plastic thing back on.
I have a Guard-It bashplate from Adventure Spec in the UK - much cheaper than Oz price, and turned up 10 days post order.

No discernible increase in noise over plasic OEM bashplate.

Very robust and well made (admitedly still dearer than most other bashplates).

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #3964
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 485
Bit of a quandary at the moment....
Currently contemplating trading in my 640ADV for an 09 690R.

Yes...I know this is a 690 thread so will more than likely be biased towards the latter but I thought I'd put it out there for some opinions.

I've only had the 640 for a year and I've clocked up 3000 k's so far....Rock hopping in the Flinders and general day tripping on the Fluerieu.

She's a bit vibey on the blacktop at around 100k's sitting on 4500 - 5000 RPM.
Not sure what the 690 would feel like.

The 640 looks fantastic with those twin lights & fairing but it still feels like a roadie with that big tank.
Add the protection bars (which I'd never take off) and it's quite wide.

I have a 525 (for single track work) plus the 640 and love 'em both....especially the 525...but I figure the 690 may satisfy both riding experiences in one bike.

Was thinking of adding a 990 to the current stable just for cruising but three bikes is starting to get a little over the top

The Erzberg 950SE was also on the wishlist and I love the power but it's still a big top heavy bike and I'd never use all that power unless it's just hooning around on some fairly straightish tracks/roads.

I figure the 690R is basically a 3/4 Erzberg 950SE but not sure if it's the kind of bike to ride in tight mallee ST (hence the 525 is more than likely staying)

Never had an FI bike so a bit unsure about those types of gremlins if they occur.

The 640 would have to go first in order for me to buy the 690 so I can't keep both for a while and then make a decision.

I can't help but think that I'd be making a mistake.....you know the saying about when you're on a good thing, stick to it!

The 640 is just coming onto the 20,000 k mark and is in pristine condition.....an absolute credit to the previous owner.

I guess I'm after something a little more comfortable when touring but still compact enough to hit the rough / twisty / climbing stuff

I don't know!

What I do know however is that if I buy the 690, then one of those Rally Raid Evo2 kits and a decent seat are both on the shopping list

Anyone here gone from a 640ADV over to a 690R?
Is it a good or regrettable move?
2005 KTM 950 ADV
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #3965
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post

Currently contemplating trading in my 640ADV for an 09 690R.

Yes...I know this is a 690 thread so will more than likely be biased towards the latter but I thought I'd put it out there for some opinions.

What I do know however is that if I buy the 690, then one of those Rally Raid Evo2 kits and a decent seat are both on the shopping list
The 690 really is a genuine enduro bike – I went from a Berg FE390 to a 690, and was very surprised by how well the 690 can handle reasonably hard riding – beautiful suspension and enduro geometry – I would take the 690 anywhere that I would have taken the FE390, which is saying a lot for a relatively big bike ...

The 640 Adv is obviously a very different beast ...

My 690 cruises on the road at around 4500 rpm for 100kph (with stock gearing) – it has a noticeably close ratio 6-speed gearbox, which for some reason is closer than the 5-speed 625 – personally I think this is a bit of a shame as the enormous horsepower could make for a better long-mileage cruiser (e.g. G650 X-Challenge) if it could stretch its legs a bit easier – that said, it has no difficulties at in sitting on 120kph for long stretches, and is much less vibey than either the 640 or 625 ...

Agree absolutely re’ seat (e.g. Seat Concepts) and Evo-2 tanks ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #3966
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Ok got my 690 2012 last week. First impressions after selling my 300 exc are awesome! Yes the mirror blurs above 40 kmph. The rear suspension stock is harsh for me at 75kg. Def needs to be more plush for me in the dirt. Never hit neutral in gear changes once yet even riding with my thongs on. Got Akra on it so sweet. Did notice it heats up real quick when at traffic lights and fan comes on and blows hot all on your legs (a bit annoying) 2012 seat is wider and bearable form me compared to 300 exc. I do prefer the white fork protectors ( does anyone want to swap?). Happy so far with stock 12 tyres which are good on the black top. Still bloody tall for me 175 cm short ass. Like the 12 dash with rpm. Makes me smile when I ride it so it has done its job! I now feel like part of the 690 family!

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #3967
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I have a Guard-It bashplate from Adventure Spec in the UK - much cheaper than Oz price, and turned up 10 days post order.

No discernible increase in noise over plasic OEM bashplate.

Very robust and well made (admitedly still dearer than most other bashplates)

Thanks hoots. I got a couple of options to try first, but will check that out if needed
mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #3968
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Ok got my 690 2012 last week. First impressions after selling my 300 exc are awesome! Yes the mirror blurs above 40 kmph. The rear suspension stock is harsh for me at 75kg. Def needs to be more plush for me in the dirt. Never hit neutral in gear changes once yet even riding with my thongs on. Got Akra on it so sweet. Did notice it heats up real quick when at traffic lights and fan comes on and blows hot all on your legs (a bit annoying) 2012 seat is wider and bearable form me compared to 300 exc. I do prefer the white fork protectors ( does anyone want to swap?). Happy so far with stock 12 tyres which are good on the black top. Still bloody tall for me 175 cm short ass. Like the 12 dash with rpm. Makes me smile when I ride it so it has done its job! I now feel like part of the 690 family!

Chris

you can swap out the fan sensor in the radiator so the fan comes on a little earlier. The switch is the same one in a Suzuki 4 wheeler. The suspension does need to be swapped out or reworked as it is very harsh.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #3969
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
I have a 525 (for single track work) plus the 640 and love 'em both....especially the 525...but I figure the 690 may satisfy both riding experiences in one bike.

Was thinking of adding a 990 to the current stable just for cruising but three bikes is starting to get a little over the top
Never ridden a 640 but I think the 690 will definitely suit you. However I'm not so sure about owning a 525 and a 690. Those two bikes are really similar. The 690 will be a lot better at speed and the 525 a little better going slow.

How vibey it is depends on your gear ratio. At low RPM's the 690 is a bit rough and really high RPM's it buzzes badly (and also chews fuel). It has good power delivery at almost any RPM but there is a sweet spot you want to hit for long highway stretches. Somewhere around 4,500 on my 2008 model and from memory that's about 100km/h in 6th gear with stock gearing? With the sprockets I'm currently running, I use 5th gear at 100km/h and 6th gear at 110km/h (those two gears are very close together).

If I were you, I'd buy a 690 and sell both the 525 and the 640. Spend the cash on farkles. If you're considering a 950/990 as well, perhaps a set of panniers, comfy seat, long range tank/etc might be nice? Something you can easily fit/remove depending on the ride. You'll also need to make a few minor mods for trail riding, the radiator is a bit vulnerable and the stock bark busters aren't enough to prevent broken levers (or fingers).

I bought my 690 expecting to use it primarily for open dirt roads and kept my 250 for trail riding. After a while, I started riding the 250 to work occasionally to check if it even ran at all. I doubt the 250 saw more than one actual ride before I sold it 2 years later.

I've done an iron butt ride on my 690. It's perfectly good on the highway if you have it setup right. And it's also a perfect trail bike if you have a bit of muscle and don't fall off too often. Handling is great even on the worst single track, but it's heavy when you do need to drag it out of a gully or over a fallen tree.

abhibeckert screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 03:47 PM
abhibeckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #3970
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
if you are considering a 950/990 then keep the 525 and don't bother with the 600cc bikes. The 690 is a good bike but its not a great woods bike and its not a great travel bike. It does everything ok and nothing great. Its a good I can only afford one bike as a compromise kind of bike. Actually sell the 525 and the 640 and get a Husaberg 390 and a big bike and you will be good to go

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #3971
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
if you are considering a 950/990 then keep the 525 and don't bother with the 600cc bikes. The 690 is a good bike but its not a great woods bike and its not a great travel bike. It does everything ok and nothing great. Its a good I can only afford one bike as a compromise kind of bike. Actually sell the 525 and the 640 and get a Husaberg 390 and a big bike and you will be good to go
I must admit that when looking for the 640, I wasn't sure whether the 990 was really the bike I should be buying.

I've ridden a 950ADV since my 640ADV purchase and the power is very addictive but it's a bloody big bike!

Going to test a 690 this weekend
2005 KTM 950 ADV
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #3972
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:

I guess I'm after something a little more comfortable when touring but still compact enough to hit the rough / twisty / climbing stuff

Anyone here gone from a 640ADV over to a 690R?
Is it a good or regrettable move?
G'day Con, you are more than welcome to have a decent ride when you like on my 690R, let me know. Would have to be up in my neck of the woods.

I did close to 20,000 kms on my 625SXC, 80% of those would have been on single track. In my opinion the 690 is so much easier to ride through S/track, it leans over & turns so much better & it has a much lower centre of gravity due to the under seat mounted tank & the suspension feels so much better (then again I have put on a few kilos over the Xmas break..).

The power is very linear & comes on strong very fast, this can be easily fixed (only if you like) when riding s/track by flicking the switch for the mapping choice under the seat (some people relocate the switch to their handlebars).

Luckily my 625SXC didn't have much vibes (some LC4's are far worse than others), I squirted silicon inside the handle bars & also fitted Stenhouse Racing bar end weights, which really helped reduce the vibes on my 625.
My 690 has virtually no vibes at all even compared to my 625.

The 690R really feels to me like a true enduro bike & to be honest it doesn't feel anywhere near 139kgs when I ride it.

On the other hand its also good at the longer Adv type rides, the only downfall is the terrible standard seat, which thankfully now has several after-market options available to fix this.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #3973
KevS69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
I must admit that when looking for the 640, I wasn't sure whether the 990 was really the bike I should be buying.

I've ridden a 950ADV since my 640ADV purchase and the power is very addictive but it's a bloody big bike!

Going to test a 690 this weekend
You been ridding that 950 Super Enduro haven't you Con?? after ridding Emu's 950 I got all deluded & thought I needed more power,

KevS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #3974
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevS69 View Post
You been ridding that 950 Super Enduro haven't you Con?? after ridding Emu's 950 I got all deluded & thought I needed more power,
HaHaha....Kev, I caned that SE in 4 gears just to listen to all those valves bounce away.
Adrian's jaw was still on the ground when I got back........although I don't think he wanted to talk to me for a while
I just want something like that but 2/3rds the size & weight and not as much power.....the 950SE is just too big & top heavy to flick around and all that power is a real trip but I don't think I could use it.

If the 690 doesn't work out, I'll gear up the 640 for lower revs at high speed and touring & increase the oil capacity on the 525 with one of those HTC Oil coolers for longer service intervals and day tripping.
I still love both of 'em

SOL, I'll definitely take up your offer mate...what I want to know is how easy does it handle the twisty stuff and what it's like sitting on the blacktop at around the 110km/hr mark......not interested in wringing it's neck by the way...just so you understand.
I'd like to make my mind up on the 690 before spending some coin on the 640 suspension....springs etc.

This Sat trial at the dealer will be interesting for sure.

P.S. Apologies to the 690 guys as I suspect I might be thread jacking here.......It is a decision making process though for one of these beauties so consider it possibly relevant.
2005 KTM 950 ADV
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #3975
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
SOL, I'll definitely take up your offer mate...what I want to know is how easy does it handle the twisty stuff and what it's like sitting on the blacktop at around the 110km/hr mark......not interested in wringing it's neck by the way...just so you understand.
No worries mate, I have both s/track & open blacktop not that far from my house, bring up one of your bikes one morning & happy to head out for an hour or two, only as long as its not a hot day..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote