Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #886
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Well inmates, I have completed the mods on my 2000 KLR250.

After a couple weeks of research, I have finally completed the mods on the KLR. Around the holidays, I decided to start researching the best bang for the buck. After advise from other inmates, a couple websites and many forums, I decided on the following mods.

1) To increase the airflow to the engine, I a 2" square hole in the top of the airbox under the intake tube. $0...
2) I found a Cobra Pipe from another inmate for better exhaust flow. $100 with shipping,
3) Changed the Main Jet from the stock 118 to a 125. $7
4) Changed the Pilot Jet from the stock 35 to a 40. $7
5) Put in 4mm of washers on the Needle from the stock 0 washers. $4
5) Carefully drilled out the air mix screw cover and changed the turns from the stock 1 1/4 turns to 2 full turns. $0
6) I did a complete Carb rebuild w/kit while I was in it. $14
7) I did a valve adjustment while I was there. This was the first one I have ever done, and it was so easy it was ridiculous. $0
8) Change the stark plug. $4

Bolted everything back together and it fired on the first kick. After I rode it I thought it felt a little faster, but was not sure. So finally this weekend, my girl friend the main jockey for this bike got to ride it. She was able to hang with me between stoplights and she commented on the roll-on power that the bike now had. After witnessing the power with a lighter ride, I was amazed at the performance. All said and done I spent $136 and about 2 hrs of total time in work. This has been the best mod money I have ever spent on a bike. I have checked the spark plug to see how richer or lean it is running, and it is a perfect tan color. I have never did mods lick this and had such great results with no fine running after. It was dialed in with these mods.

Feels good to hit one out of the park with little effort.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #887
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Good deal. Always interesting how much you can wake up bikes by fiddling the carbs.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #888
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,239
I'm going to hopefully have one of these bikes shortly, had a couple of questions. Bike is for my girlfriend, so it needs to be setup for her. Novice rider, 5'4". She has the msf course, has her license, and rides a ttr125 on fields and easy trails right now.

Use will be street riding, gravel roads, dirt roads, and very easy trails. It seems like the little klr is well suited for that from my reading. I've never ridden one.

On the highway I'm reading that the bike will hold 60 to 65mph all day, but not much more. Correct? That's plenty, there's no interstate within an hour drive and I doubt she'll want to ride on it anyways.

I'll probably have to order the kuoba (sp?) Lowering links for the rear, which are 2". How far can/should I slide the forks up? I don't want the tire to hit the fender and lock up or anything crazy like that.

How hard is it to start after a fall? My xr650r can be a bear sometimes if you drop it. I haven't seen this refrenced anywhere in this thread, so it must not be an issue.

Thanks.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #889
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Jules-
My girl friend had never ridden until August this year when she took the MSC & I bought her a KLR250. She loves it in the capacity that you listed above, but I ride a 1200GS. When we do weekend rides she hates trying to keep up. I am a very experience rider and try to accommodate her but some times twist the throttle to much. She has put 3000 miles on the bike in 5 mos just weekends & occasional evenings. I did the mods I listed above this past week an she is very happy to ride again. It has made it a little more peppy & with the right tires this bike handles well for a 110-140lbs rider. She is 5-10 so she needs the height also. My daughter is 5-4 & rides it fine but struggles on uneven ground stops. A good pair of boots with good traction on them helped that issue.

I will say I'm impressed with this bike for a beginner & light trail riding. Distance and highways are its enemy though. Good luck & write down the mods above so when she is getting and at you for taken off to fast or passing a car that she struggles to, you have the answer.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #890
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'm going to hopefully have one of these bikes shortly, had a couple of questions. Bike is for my girlfriend, so it needs to be setup for her. Novice rider, 5'4"....

On the highway I'm reading that the bike will hold 60 to 65mph all day, but not much more. Correct? That's plenty, there's no interstate within an hour drive and I doubt she'll want to ride on it anyways.

I'll probably have to order the kuoba (sp?) Lowering links for the rear, which are 2". How far can/should I slide the forks up? I don't want the tire to hit the fender and lock up or anything crazy like that.

How hard is it to start after a fall?
I'm 5-8 and plan to put lowering links in this winter. I read forks can drop three quarters inch before interference. Hope she is comfortable, but it might be a bit high even with lowering links.

I don't know about all day, but ive done hours at 65mph and had power left for hills and headwind, with stock gearing. I would not change stock gearing, need that high rpm torque for that speed. I hit reserve after 100 miles, mpg drops to 50 at those speeds.

Ive dropped it in the woods a dozen times. Usually hold throttle open, starts second kick, never a problem with all stock setup.

Good luck, its a great bike for a lot of reasons, love how it shines in the woods.

Sent from mobile
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #891
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Do check if adjusting the shock can help prior to lowering links, you might be surprised. Plus it makes clearing downed trees easier
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #892
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Jules-
My girl friend had never ridden until August this year when she took the MSC & I bought her a KLR250. She loves it in the capacity that you listed above, but I ride a 1200GS. When we do weekend rides she hates trying to keep up. I am a very experience rider and try to accommodate her but some times twist the throttle to much. She has put 3000 miles on the bike in 5 mos just weekends & occasional evenings. I did the mods I listed above this past week an she is very happy to ride again. It has made it a little more peppy & with the right tires this bike handles well for a 110-140lbs rider. She is 5-10 so she needs the height also. My daughter is 5-4 & rides it fine but struggles on uneven ground stops. A good pair of boots with good traction on them helped that issue.

I will say I'm impressed with this bike for a beginner & light trail riding. Distance and highways are its enemy though. Good luck & write down the mods above so when she is getting and at you for taken off to fast or passing a car that she struggles to, you have the answer.
I'd hate keeping up with a GS on that bike too. I switch between a couple of bikes but am normally on my KLR650, and I ride that prety slow anyways. No worries there.

I checked out your mods, seem easy and cheap for what you gain. I'll be doing that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
I'm 5-8 and plan to put lowering links in this winter. I read forks can drop three quarters inch before interference. Hope she is comfortable, but it might be a bit high even with lowering links.

I don't know about all day, but ive done hours at 65mph and had power left for hills and headwind, with stock gearing. I would not change stock gearing, need that high rpm torque for that speed. I hit reserve after 100 miles, mpg drops to 50 at those speeds.

Ive dropped it in the woods a dozen times. Usually hold throttle open, starts second kick, never a problem with all stock setup.

Good luck, its a great bike for a lot of reasons, love how it shines in the woods.

Sent from mobile

She sat on one a couple of years ago and could touch pretty good, so I don't know where the height concerns are. I guess we'll find out soon. She weighs about 160 ish, so maybe it's sagging more? Not sure what you weigh.

Thanks for the responses, pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Hopefully the height isn't an issue. I keep reading here that it's tall, but when she sat on one she was fine. Unless maybe that one had a blown shock or the sag was wrong or it was lowered. I don't know.

First project is just going to be making sure she's comfortable and some maintainence. Valve check and stuff. See what she wants to do, I'll probably end up making a luggage rack, maybe a small windscreen. It's hard to say right now just how far she'll actually want to go. She wants to be able to haul some camping gear and follow me on my KLR. I'll carry most of the weight, just have some of the lighter and bulky stuff on her bike. Sleeping bags and some riding gear mainly.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #893
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Do check if adjusting the shock can help prior to lowering links, you might be surprised. Plus it makes clearing downed trees easier
That'll be first for sure. Maybe even cut the seat down some. I trimmed my spare xr250 seat and she does alright on it. It's an 84 and needs a full re-build, so neither one of us has spent any time on it.

I'm sure one way or another she'll be alright with height, there are a few ways to get it down some. It won't take much I'm sure.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #894
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Turns out my cylinder is out of round, so new piston time. Amazon has Wiseco sets (piston, rings, wrist pins, circlips) in various sizes, even Prime eligible. Remember to look for Mojave kits
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #895
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd hate keeping up with a GS on that bike too. I switch between a couple of bikes but am normally on my KLR650, and I ride that prety slow anyways. No worries there.

I checked out your mods, seem easy and cheap for what you gain. I'll be doing that for sure.

She sat on one a couple of years ago and could touch pretty good, so I don't know where the height concerns are. I guess we'll find out soon. She weighs about 160 ish, so maybe it's sagging more? Not sure what you weigh.

Thanks for the responses, pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Hopefully the height isn't an issue. I keep reading here that it's tall, but when she sat on one she was fine. Unless maybe that one had a blown shock or the sag was wrong or it was lowered. I don't know.

First project is just going to be making sure she's comfortable and some maintainence. Valve check and stuff. See what she wants to do, I'll probably end up making a luggage rack, maybe a small windscreen. It's hard to say right now just how far she'll actually want to go. She wants to be able to haul some camping gear and follow me on my KLR. I'll carry most of the weight, just have some of the lighter and bulky stuff on her bike. Sleeping bags and some riding gear mainly.
I weigh 170, and if I put all my weight on the seat, and sit all the way forward, I can almost flat foot. The bike is stock except for cycleracks. I usually have to climb the peg to get on, and untill I gained some flexibility, kick starting had to be done from standing on the peg too. The height is wonderful for riding over downed trees. I might not like the lowering links, just have to see.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #896
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
I weigh 170, and if I put all my weight on the seat, and sit all the way forward, I can almost flat foot. The bike is stock except for cycleracks. I usually have to climb the peg to get on, and untill I gained some flexibility, kick starting had to be done from standing on the peg too. The height is wonderful for riding over downed trees. I might not like the lowering links, just have to see.
Hmm....

What's your inseam? She's around 28". I'm thinking that if I lower hers then she'll be about where you are now. Her and I both remember the one she sat on fitting her great, but that was a couple of years ago. I'm lucky to remember breakfast, much less two years back.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #897
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

We're good with her touching I think. Here's what I did:

I read the specs on the KLR250 and her TTR125. The seat height is exactly 2" different. 31.7 vs 33.7. The TTR is modded with stiffer fork and shock springs, the stiffest ones BBR sells, and the sag is set a touch higher than recommended. To me it felt better that way.

I rolled the TTR up on 2x4's, which would bring the stock seat height to within 1/2" of each other. With most of her weight on the bike she's not quite flat footed but close. She said she could ride it fine as is, but if I could get it down an inch or so that would be nice.

Now, here's what I'm thinking/assuming. The KLR250 I would assume is pretty soft sprung. If it's anything like my KLR650 it'll go through half its stroke just sitting on it. Meanwhile the TTR has stiffer springs installed and is currently sitting on almost new knobbies. Also, the seat is going to be softer on the KLR compared to the TTR. Between all of those factors, I think she'll gain at least an inch.

If not I'll start with setting the sag a bit soft and sliding the forks up. If that doesn't work the next decision will be between shaving down the seat or installing lowering links. I would rather find a replacement seat and shave it down for her, but we'll have to make that decision once the bike is in front of us. Another option that I've read about but need to research more is using a KLR650 shock. I've seen that using that shock will lower the rear about 1". I need to research that option more and see what that does to the spring rate. Might not be the right option for her, I don't know yet. I do like the easy adjustability of the 650 shock. It makes it nice being able to set preload with a socket in 10 seconds if I have a load on the bike.

I've been recommended an xt225, it's an option but I think she would prefer the KLR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the basic idea I've got is that the xt is a bit better off road, klr on. The planned use of the bike is more 'adventure touring' than trail riding. No cross country excursions, but longer day and weekend trips. She get nervous on the TTR in trails, so I'm sure that either the KLR or the XT would be even worse. She likes riding the very easy stuff, and to be honest there isn't much of that here in Ohio. For true day of trail riding I typically haul my bike there, so it's just as easy to haul her TTR.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #898
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

inseam

Quote:
Hmm....

What's your inseam? She's around 28". I'm thinking that if I lower hers then she'll be about where you are now. Her and I both remember the one she sat on fitting her great, but that was a couple of years ago. I'm lucky to remember breakfast, much less two years back.
Good question, I have about 30" inseam. The stock setup I have is rideable, I've had a great time with it this way, and if there weren't lowering links available, I'd just keep riding it the way it is.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #899
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Piston time!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #900
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Well got it home a few hours ago. Adjusted the valves, slid the forks up 3/4" and softened the rear preload a bit. She's going to ride it tomorrow and see, but she thinks she'll be fine.

Not too bad shape for 95. Needs some cosmetic stuff, but nothing major. Tires first, probably going to order some shinko 244's tomorrow.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.