Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #391
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I actually wonder about this. Other than cycling and Mark Mcgwire, I think doping is a little more subtle in sports. Its often guys trying to stay healthy, get healthy, extend their career or guys on the margin trying to get that little edge to make the show.

I think it would be naive to assume with all that money and fame on the line that motorcycle racers never dope. Im not sure how much it would help, but if you have to recover from injury to get that paycheck, every little bit could help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
I think if you do some research, WADA showed up to the AMA Supercross(Back when they ran it) and tested all the riders over two events, and found nothing. Zero. Nada. So, they gave up on that realm because there is no cheating there, in any form they recognized at the time anyway...seems like they would find the same in Dakar, or any other non-mainstream motorsport at the professional level. At least, IME. There is no getting stoned, tweaking for the duration of the event, or getting all 'roided out to win your class in the Dakar; you do it on so many levels that the human body could not need any compromises and the event is long and intense enough that no drug or cocktail could maintain it's effectiveness without other issues for that long.

That said, WADA is clearly a business and not an enforcement organization, so letting someone get away with it and then choosing a scapegoat makes them look all the better. Like any other "enforcement" organization, the casualties have to justify their existence, so there is a functional level of whatever goes on that they become the modulator of, not the eliminator of.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #392
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Sometimes breaking trail is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. Should be luck of the draw, not neuterized.
Yeah but your favorite leg to hump has benefited in the past from such actions. He has a history of brain farts causing him to have to start in the back of the pack. He would be the first to squeal like a stuck pig if the leaders made it through a section which became impassable for he and everyone else. Believe me, I think the rally guys are all screwed up, they don't even race at night for Christ's sake! Real off road racers race all day and all night, they don't have nappy time between "stages".
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #393
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Believe me, I think the rally guys are all screwed up, they don't even race at night for Christ's sake! Real off road racers race all day and all night, they don't have nappy time between "stages".
LOL. Now that's true and very funny also
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #394
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Yeah but your favorite leg to hump has benefited in the past from such actions.

It's my leg to hump. Know who the second highest poster in this thread is? YOU. Get off my leg.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #395
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Instead of the mustache man , the magical appearing debris .
The mustached Pierre DeBris.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #396
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,501
Robby has a bit to say about Nasser ...

2013 Team SPEED Dakar Stage 8 from PlanetRobby on Vimeo.
">
2013 Team SPEED Dakar Stage 8 from PlanetRobby on Vimeo.

MsLizVt screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 11:28 PM
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #397
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
Not a big fan of the decision; but hey it's the ACO, what do you expect?

Glad to see RG in the hunt for stage wins though.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #398
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
I wouldn't go so far as to say the rest of the race is a sham. In a situation where much of the field can't pass the course it's difficult/impossible to come up with a solution that can be quickly enacted and fair to everyone. That said, the officials do seem to have their favorites...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #399
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,226
It's just the Dakar/ French way...that's all.

Every year we get to a point in the Dakar where the organizers get in over their heads... juggling the theory of their stage planning against the unforeseen. They do the best they can trying to protect those most commited to their event first, and then their priorities trickle down to the least of their concerns.

The Dakar organizers take greater national pride in their race.

Obviously Robbie Gordon does not represent a major revenue stream for the Rally, so he's the least of their (ASO) concerns. BMW/ Mini Cooper and KTM obviously are very important to them. So they are going to get "home field advantage", something we in American sports witness daily and are all too familiar with in our pro sports programs.

As long as we know what to expect from the ASO Dakar organizers, we just take their home field implimentations as "it is what it is"...

It's still great to watch Robbie outrunning huge car sponsors day in and day out and what it represents... the little guy with the big heart beating up on the big corporate guys.

There is still 6 days left in this race and anything can happen.

Don't loose the spirit of this race yet... which is that anything can happen... and usually does. And against all odds, heros are born and reborn in this race at every stage.

That holds up even against all the home field stuff...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #400
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Thumb

Quote:
There is still 6 days left in this race and anything can happen
...absolutely right!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/izom
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #401
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,315
any way around it, that decision sux!... to give everybody who didn't finish pekkerhandels' time just doesn't seem right, you might as well cancel the whole stage, but then robby loses a bit of his gain.... basically that stage was a 3 car race?.... hard decision, i guess...

what i wanna know, is why they configured his car w/the radiators way out in front like that?.... there's a pic somewhere w/his bodywork off, and those rads are out in front of the wheels w/some pretty skimpy frame around them. it seems they could put them inboard of the wheels somehow w/some ductwork and some fans, and that radiator smashing thing wouldn't have happened?.... my $.03......
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #402
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
From Facebook

Stage 9 is on Monday - Cars will begin at 8:03am/et. Robby Gordon will be the 3rd car off the line, around 8:09am/et.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #403
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Every year we get to a point in the Dakar where the organizers get in over their heads... juggling the theory of their stage planning against the unforeseen. They do the best they can trying to protect those most commited to their event first, and then their priorities trickle down to the least of their concerns.

The Dakar organizers take greater national pride in their race.

Obviously Robbie Gordon does not represent a major revenue stream for the Rally, so he's the least of their (ASO) concerns. BMW/ Mini Cooper and KTM obviously are very important to them. So they are going to get "home field advantage", something we in American sports witness daily and are all too familiar with in our pro sports programs.

As long as we know what to expect from the ASO Dakar organizers, we just take their home field implimentations as "it is what it is"...

It's still great to watch Robbie outrunning huge car sponsors day in and day out and what it represents... the little guy with the big heart beating up on the big corporate guys.

There is still 6 days left in this race and anything can happen.

Don't loose the spirit of this race yet... which is that anything can happen... and usually does. And against all odds, heros are born and reborn in this race at every stage.

That holds up even against all the home field stuff...
Well said.

Peterhansel pointed out that they are actually less than half way through the distance covered on special stages.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #404
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
any way around it, that decision sux!... to give everybody who didn't finish pekkerhandels' time just doesn't seem right, you might as well cancel the whole stage, but then robby loses a bit of his gain.... basically that stage was a 3 car race?.... hard decision, i guess...

Well, no. It greatly benefits the 4-5 cars that did finish the stage. Their times were set, with no possibility of someone who started 6th or below from besting their time. These are staggered starts, remember. Sure, the likelihood of someone doing that from futher down the starting order is slim. But a navigation error or two and the top 4-5 can easily lose 30 minutes, allowing someone else to take the stage win. That wasn't possible when they gave everyone Peterhansel's time.

But its a huge complicated affair, and possibly the best way of handling it fairly.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #405
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Just broke into the top 20, got past the Great Wall car on time or they lost time.