Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #72841
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
I would like to see everyone that likes the DR650 to go buy a new one this year. That would inspire Suzuki to keep making and importing them. I HAD TO BUY A USED ONE LAST YEAR BECAUSE NONE OF THE DEALERS IN MY AREA WOULD STOCK THEM, and Suzuki was out of stock by late spring when I was ready to buy since they are not a high volume seeling model.

TravelGuy
In all honesty, I would go to the dealer and buy one tomorrow, only issue is they are not available in Europe any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I don't necessarily need something super fancy, but considering how big the bike is, it would be nice for it to cruise stretches of highway a bit better. From what I've gathered, they already make a more powerful engine based on the DR650 that they put in the Freewind. Just adding five or ten HP to the DR and some kind of token wind protection would be a big boon to me. As we've seen from the big bore kits, revised cams, and Suzuki's own Freewind, you can add power to this engine without adding hardly any weight or complexity to the bike. .
IMHO more wind protection means more plastics to break when dropping the bike off-road. Wind protection can be added to a bike if you wish, but in most cases you can't just take the plastics off a faired bike to make it more dirt worthy, so from my point of view the current form of the DR is the more versatile solution. Just my opinion though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've heard that dealers are selling as many as they can get. The issue is government regulations... emissions, etc. I had heard a rumor that 2013 or 2014 will be the last year of both the DR650 and DRZ400 in their current form. Supposedly there will be a new 450-based DRZ with EFI, and who knows what the DR650 will turn into.

The ADV market is huge right now; I don't see them discontinued at all; I just see them being reinvented due to regulatory BS, which could ruin what is otherwise a great bike. OR, it could be THE new standard, there's no way to know yet.
This could be the chance for re-introducing the DRs in Europe, they've been missing for 10 years now. I only hope they will keep it simple and light.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #72842
deathu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
heres another good thing about the DRs smooth engine: makes a reasonable video platform

Hey, what type of headlight mask (fairing) is that? (visible at 04:53 in the video). Can you give us more information about it? Seems like a nice mod, allowing 2 HID projectors to be used.
deathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #72843
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
The EPA publishes all of the bikes and their current emissions versus the requirements. It's probably been six months or a year ago that I looked at it but the DR650 was no where near the limits. The carbed DR650 could go years without an upgrade to EFI. The EFI issue comes up year after year with people wondering if it's the last year of the DR650. If it is the last year, it has nothing to do with the US EPA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
GOOD! I hope it sticks around in its current form then! :)

Rob

Same here, if Suzuki were to make any changes I would rather see it receive better, fully adjustable suspension components.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #72844
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathu View Post
Hey, what type of headlight mask (fairing) is that? (visible at 04:53 in the video). Can you give us more information about it? Seems like a nice mod, allowing 2 HID projectors to be used.
thats brittiana composites lynx fairing. ive had a few issues with it breaking but they are redesigning it slowly there to improve things. regardless, the extra light is worth the few minor issues ive had. the biggest pain is people keep stopping me to tell me my headlight is broken when only the lowbeam is switched on haha

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #72845
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Will either go 50,000 miles without trouble?
Dunno. Still a BMW product.
I bought a 2002 BMW F650GS new, essentially the same as the Sertao, when I got back into riding after a long break. My wife and I put a lot of miles on it, and it has still not had any problems at all. No engine problems, engine's never been apart except for routing valve checks; no FI issues at all, still has the original wheel bearings, it just keeps going on and on with its new owner.

It's got 115,000 kms on it now. Routine maintenance is the key to longevity with any machine.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #72846
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think you mean the BMW Sertao ... It's really not close to the DR650 in most respects. To start with it's 60 or 70 lbs. heavier, has spindly little 41mm Showa forks and still carries some of the problems the old F650's had. I'd be careful what you wish for. Have you ever bought a new BMW?

Now check the MSRP : $8670 (base)

Sertao claims to have 48 BHP ... so figure about 40 HP at the rear wheel.
It's a beautiful bike with nicer clocks and switches. It is no smoother on the highway than a well set up DR650. Biggest advantage besides looks ... it gets about 65 MPG.

The bike that comes closer is the Husqvarna Terra. About $800 cheaper, better suspension, lighter. Will either go 50,000 miles without trouble?
Dunno. Still a BMW product.
The Terra is made mostly in China, IMO, it won't hold up as well as the Sertao. But still, most folks would be able to get 50K out of either without troubles.

That being said, I doubt MY DR will get 50K miles without at least a top end. That kind of thing reflects just as much on the how the bike is ridden as much as what brand/model it is.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #72847
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
The DR vs most any other bike is such a great compromise. To me the best, that makes it so cool, it isn't anything, it's everything. Yep, spend the coin on a BMW and you will get a better street bike for a cost in dollars and off road performance and maintenance. The BMWs suspension is not any better either. I don't know about the husky, I'd like to try one. A Ktm 690 would be cool but I'm thinking that two dr 650s would cost less to buy and maintain. I'm a card carrying member of the DR 650 fan club, can't help it
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #72848
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 866
This may have already been covered, but is there a larger aftermarket tank option? I can't seem to find much, but my google-fu may be weak.

Trip to Alaska may be in the works.

via the little yellow rocket
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #72849
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post

Yer secret's safe here.

Ok, close enough.

Thanks for taking my jibe with good humor.

Ride safe - stay warm, winter is sucking right about now.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #72850
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrjoyce2007 View Post
This may have already been covered, but is there a larger aftermarket tank option? I can't seem to find much, but my google-fu may be weak.

Trip to Alaska may be in the works.

via the little yellow rocket

I have an IMS 4.9 gal tank that's pretty decent. There's a Safari tank that's way more massive, but if you need the capacity, it's there. Check out Procycle.com. They've got a few different ones.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #72851
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
A Ktm 690 would be cool but I'm thinking that two dr 650s would cost less to buy and maintain. I'm a card carrying member of the DR 650 fan club, can't help it
690 doesn't cost anymore to maintain then a DR. Does cost more to begin with, but you do get a lot more for that money as well.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #72852
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Same here, if Suzuki were to make any changes I would rather see it receive better, fully adjustable suspension components.

Tech23

My short list, if they did update the DR, would be a 6th gear and better forks. Might as well stick a good digital gauge on it too while they're at it, but that'd be it. Leave the rest of the bike alone. Still though, I don't see it happening. Any change requires extensive reworking of documentation, service manuals, marketing materials, etc, etc, etc.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #72853
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
690 doesn't cost anymore to maintain then a DR. Does cost more to begin with, but you do get a lot more for that money as well.

You can't be serious right?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #72854
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Has anyone installed the Cogent DIY shock modification kit. Any problems or concerns?

Thanks
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #72855
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I have an IMS 4.9 gal tank that's pretty decent. There's a Safari tank that's way more massive, but if you need the capacity, it's there. Check out Procycle.com. They've got a few different ones.

www.Procycle.us *
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote