Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #51616
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
A inch wouldn't work for me. I had to shave my stock seat down a 1 to 1.5 inch in some areas. So I need the Renzco shaved 2.5 inches to work for me. I think that effect the comfort of the seat.
I believe Corbin seats are usually lower than stock but from what I've heard it's like going from sitting on a 2x4(stock seat) to sitting on a 2x6. Some folks love em, some hate em.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #51617
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
THanks, I worked on that for about a year, mostly off, I think maybe about 10 hours of measuring and waiting, and measuring and staring.... FInally I get the set I decided on and of course there are some interference issues and one set of mounting holes are a CH off. My fault i'm sure.

When I started with SolidWorks, AutoCad didn't have 3d. I think my first version of SW was 2007. when I updated in 2009, I didn't know AutoCad had introduced 3d, but it didn't matter at that point. I'm frustrated though, that I can't export directly to DWG or DXF. I had to get my drawerings scaled by someone else before they went to print.
When you're a pioneer, you have to expect some hiccups, especially when measuring out stuff in space like that. If something didn't get a CH off in the process, it would be from sheer luck. Given the motivation and time to re-design, it could be close to perfect.

I was thinking Solidworks would export a DXF, but I guess it will only natively import. Maybe it was some third-party converters the mechanical guys would use to do that, but not sure. I'm a PCB CAD designer myself, but I did learn AutoCad when it first came out. That was before Windows came onto the scene; the commands in DOS and the commands within AutoCad we had to type in. At the time, it seemed pretty nifty. Now it would be considered an outrageous hassle! To "print", we used a machine called a plotter. It would draw by pen on paper, moving the pen back and forth in one plane and the paper back and forth in the other, pen up and pen down. An engineering marvel to watch, especially with a D or E sized drawing, it seemed blazingly fast. Despite zipping around like mad, though, it would still take minutes to draw out complex drawings.

That console is going to be so unique and useful for your application that perhaps you could have a market for it. Once you get it worked out and going, perhaps someone will request you to fab them one. Could be a great start to a business. What's this with the snow in the walkabout - that can't be en Mexico ni San Diego, verdad? Did you move up north into snow country??
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #51618
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I believe Corbin seats are usually lower than stock but from what I've heard it's like going from sitting on a 2x4(stock seat) to sitting on a 2x6. Some folks love em, some hate em.
I inherited a Corbin seat for my V65 Sabre. At first, I kept it on the shelf because it is notably uglier than the stock seat. One day I was working on the bike, thought of the Corbin, and tried it on. Felt hard as a rock! But lower. Felt weird, but I could put both feet solidly flat on the ground. I thought what the heck, let me take a ride with it on. After all, I've heard people swear by them. But I didn't even put the bolts in I was so skeptical. A few rides around town later, I had a pretty neutral feeling; it wasn't as cushy but it was tolerable and it did get me closer to the ground without sacrificing the bike's cornering ability. So I started venturing further out on it. I didn't get sore or anything so when a three-day riding trip came up, I got to pondering. I decided to take the chance on the Corbin, then didn't really think about it until I realized afterward that I never got that uncomfortable feeling I usually would get when riding all day. So like I forget who said it a couple pages ago, not thinking about it is a great endorsement!

Maybe the fact that it is wider and has a contoured shape - wider at the cheeks, narrows where the legs drop down - contributes to increased comfort. Maybe being harder helps... wouldn't seem like it, but maybe. It seems less comfortable to hop on it, but it certainly is more comfortable after being on it for hours.

I'd surmise that those who love it spend lots of contiguous hours in it while those who hate it are in for shorter stints and/or looks. The extra width is probably why the 2x6 analogy, but with stock being one of those rod shaped pillow rolls.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #51619
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Its all about rake and trail.

Some feel the need to rake the trail, me, I just ride on the leaves.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #51620
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Bell Moto 9

sweet, just scored a new Bell Moto 9 Stunt, black, for $218.99 from denniskirk.com (did price match "beat it by a buck"). this helmet still sells for $350-$450 online. a couple places have it for $219.99. one place even has it for $199.99 http://www.extremesupply.com/product...nthelmets.html!!! but i wanted the black (black only in small at that link, has all other sizes in the "pearl" color).

not trying to start a helmet debate! just passing on a good deal, after a LOT of research on helmets. only other helmet i considered (b/c of my head shape) is the shoei vfx-w, but it was just too rich for my blood...

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #51621
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
hey dudes for those of you recently installing clutches, can anyone tell me what way the numbers face on the actual fiber disks? I cant remember...

thanks

christian

for oem disks...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #51622
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Some feel the need to rake the trail, me, I just ride on the leaves.
Still able to count on XRL Dave also
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #51623
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Mine are raised also

I didn't raise mine... Should I? The guy who upgraded the springs and put in the Gold valves told me to line it up. It seems to work realy nice but i never tried raising them. Any input welcomed

BTW Marko the bike looks cool, Very stock looking! or atleast how it should look in stock form...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #51624
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I inherited a Corbin seat for my V65 Sabre. At first, I kept it on the shelf because it is notably uglier than the stock seat. One day I was working on the bike, thought of the Corbin, and tried it on. Felt hard as a rock! But lower. Felt weird, but I could put both feet solidly flat on the ground. I thought what the heck, let me take a ride with it on. After all, I've heard people swear by them. But I didn't even put the bolts in I was so skeptical. A few rides around town later, I had a pretty neutral feeling; it wasn't as cushy but it was tolerable and it did get me closer to the ground without sacrificing the bike's cornering ability. So I started venturing further out on it. I didn't get sore or anything so when a three-day riding trip came up, I got to pondering. I decided to take the chance on the Corbin, then didn't really think about it until I realized afterward that I never got that uncomfortable feeling I usually would get when riding all day. So like I forget who said it a couple pages ago, not thinking about it is a great endorsement!

Maybe the fact that it is wider and has a contoured shape - wider at the cheeks, narrows where the legs drop down - contributes to increased comfort. Maybe being harder helps... wouldn't seem like it, but maybe. It seems less comfortable to hop on it, but it certainly is more comfortable after being on it for hours.

I'd surmise that those who love it spend lots of contiguous hours in it while those who hate it are in for shorter stints and/or looks. The extra width is probably why the 2x6 analogy, but with stock being one of those rod shaped pillow rolls.

I talked to a woman who had a Corbin on her 1988 RT 100 BMW. Her husband had one on his BMW as well. They both traveled extensively on their bikes and said the Corbin was an excellent upgrade over the factory BMW. I was going to get one for my KLX400 (green DRZ) but read too many reports where the seat pan Corbin used would not fit well on most DRZ's/KLX. I's like to hear from somebody who has one on their XRL.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #51625
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,589
All this talk about Corbin Seats reminds me that I have one for the XRL sitting in a box that I'll let go of if someone is interested.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #51626
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
I talked to a woman who had a Corbin on her 1988 RT 100 BMW. Her husband had one on his BMW as well. They both traveled extensively on their bikes and said the Corbin was an excellent upgrade over the factory BMW. I was going to get one for my KLX400 (green DRZ) but read too many reports where the seat pan Corbin used would not fit well on most DRZ's/KLX. I's like to hear from somebody who has one on their XRL.

I have had the Corbin on my bike since 2006. It took about 10,000 miles to fully break it in. Even brand new the seat made the bike more comfortable compared to the stock seat but it is very firm. I like that the seat moves you up on the tank. That is where you should be riding the bike while sitting, in the dirt. It is nice to move back on the wide part of the seat on those long pavement runs to get a break. I ordered the leather seat cover and have been very happy with that. I guess I must think it is OK since it is still on the bike, but I have never recommended it to anyone else.

If you are concerned about adding weight to your bike, this is not the seat for you. It is very heavy compared to stock. I believe that most would be unhappy with the Corbin made for the XR650L. I took my wife's bike to their shop and had a seat custom made. That is what they were noted for at one time. They made your seat while your ate a free lunch in the dinner and watched it being done through the window. If you did not like something they changed it on the spot..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #51627
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I'm running the FMF Power Bomb, & I have the small guard from FMF, but my right knew of my pants is toasted from hitting the exhaust. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

RZ Rob
I burned through a pair of pants also. I never had a problem while riding. It would only touch when I stopped and looked back over my left shoulder. I put the stock shield on the header.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #51628
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I burned through a pair of pants also. I never had a problem while riding. It would only touch when I stopped and looked back over my left shoulder. I put the stock shield on the header.

Excellent Idea! I liked the nifty FMF one, but it's not in the right spot. I think I can figure out how to mount mine based on the clamps that came with the FMF one.
Thanks,

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #51629
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post

Hi Mike,

Can you post a pic of the mounts? are you using the power bomb? or the hi flow header?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #51630
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
The Renazco might have lowered the seat height even 2 inches. The front is narrower than stock, which really helps too. The back is wider than stock giving a nice big platform to put your rear on when cruising. I'm 5'8" and I just learn to shift off to the side at stop lights and such. Hell, I can't flat foot an MX 80cc machine. Being short is helpful in ruts. You don't fell all waded up. Not so good in really technical areas. If I rode really technical stuff much I would get a trials bike. Most of the time the technical areas is short enough that a well chosen line and the proper application of the I can't get through. Afterall stabbing is for when you've already messed up (I do that too–lots sometimes). Spending time riding slowly, with greatly clutch and brake control is important–more so when you're short
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote