Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #406
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Two things I keep an eye out for are the DR250S tranny and DR oil coolers. Since I built my bike I have only seen two oil coolers for sale, both were the Jagg unit. I bought and installed one and it works great.

This is the first factory oil cooler I've seen for sale. I think this came stock on the CA models. It should give better oil line routing than the Jagg unit. I think the price he is asking is real high (but like I said, it's the only one I've ever seen). I'm not buying this one, if someone else wants it, grab it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
Nice find and great photos (I'll add them to the existing DR350 oil cooler photos on my website). I continue to like the idea of an oil cooler, though having thoroughly flogged my DR350 in the Phoenix summers, I'm convinced one is not needed.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #407
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Thanks Pablo. I like Greg like the idea of a cooler. I live in Gardnerville NV desert-ish area and think it would be nice but cant find the "cant live with out it" feeling. Maybe when I blow a motor I will say "I need a cooler now"

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #408
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Nice find and great photos (I'll add them to the existing DR350 oil cooler photos on my website). I continue to like the idea of an oil cooler, though having thoroughly flogged my DR350 in the Phoenix summers, I'm convinced one is not needed.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
I don't know at what temp oil starts to get damaged, so I can't say whether or not a cooler is really needed, but I can say it really reduces oil temps. When I built my bike I got an oil temp gauge from Europe (they don't sell them here). Below is a pic of it after a long steep technical singletrack climb (the long end of the needle is the one you read). Every time I got on singletrack the needle was in the red. There were probably a dozen times that summer when it went clear off the top like pictured below.

Shortly after that ride the clutch started slipping and when I replaced it, the center disks were clearly burnt. I found and installed the Jagg shortly after that and now when I'm on the really nasty stuff I'm barely above redline, but nothing near where it was before.

I hadn't seen that page on your website before. Thanks for pointing it out. Just curious, do you know how much DR. Z sold his oil cooler for?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #409
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know at what temp oil starts to get damaged, so I can't say whether or not a cooler is really needed, but I can say it really reduces oil temps. When I built my bike I got an oil temp gauge from Europe (they don't sell them here). Below is a pic of it after a long steep technical singletrack climb (the long end of the needle is the one you read). Every time I got on singletrack the needle was in the red. There were probably a dozen times that summer when it went clear off the top like pictured below.

Shortly after that ride the clutch started slipping and when I replaced it, the center disks were clearly burnt. I found and installed the Jagg shortly after that and now when I'm on the really nasty stuff I'm barely above redline, but nothing near where it was before.

I hadn't seen that page on your website before. Thanks for pointing it out. Just curious, do you know how much DR. Z sold his oil cooler for?
I seem to recall $125, but I'm not certain about that.

I tried to buy some NOS parts from that other eBay auction from which I have photos. But, the guy never got back to me. Maybe he sold it all, but I've not seen it since (haven't looked, either).

I'm taking the "ignorance is bliss" approach and not installing a temp gauge. In the summer, I bet mine is up there a lot!!! :>

I really like the look of this kit. Since the guy lives in Scottsdale (very close to Cave Creek), I've often thought about seeing if he would be willing to make up a custom kit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #410
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
I'm taking the "ignorance is bliss" approach and not installing a temp gauge. In the summer, I bet mine is up there a lot!!! :>
I agree with you on this one. The first summer that I had that temp gauge it drove me nuts every time that needle was in the red (which was often). Don't get a temp gauge until AFTER you get the oil cooler.

Another thing the oil cooler helped with was idle. When the engine got too hot I would get a bad hanging idle, that rarely happens any more.

Quote:
I really like the look of this kit. Since the guy lives in Scottsdale (very close to Cave Creek), I've often thought about seeing if he would be willing to make up a custom kit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313
He's been working on that kit for at least a year now and it looks like he's done a top notch job.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #411
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
I do not beleive that the oil cooler was stock on Cali bikes. I just bought two Cali parts bikes and neither of them had an oil cooler and both had oil lines that were not tampered with. I think they would be more readily available if they stock on some model. I think they were a factory option whihc almost NO ONE bought.

Several years ago I bought a used OEM oil cooler for $150 bucks. Let my friend run it on his DR (he did pay me for it). I thought it was pricey at the time, but dang, $275. I still think that i can plumb up a cooler from another bike fairly easily.

That one ol boys oil cooler kit looks good. But we don't have a XR. I think one would pay the top dollar because of the fit and finish, of the mounting brackets, not for the cooler parts itself.

I have not ridden my DR in months.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #412
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

If anyone wants to roll their own, I do have some various pieces and parts that may be of use:

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/f...arts_dr350.htm

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #413
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I do not beleive that the oil cooler was stock on Cali bikes.
There was some kind of note in the parts fiche that led me to that conclusion, but that could easily be wrong.

Quote:
I have not ridden my DR in months.
Sad.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #414
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Definitely not stock on CA models. I have bought and sold a lot of CA DR350 models, none with an oil cooler.

I have a JAGG cooler in my parts stash, never installed it. Might make it to the flea market soon.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #415
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
I have a JAGG cooler in my parts stash, never installed it. Might make it to the flea market soon.
let us know when you post it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #416
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Quote:

Sad.
Have you been riding much. Morning have been around the zero temp mark. And the roads are snow pack. My snow/ice riding experiance has always been accompanied with a lot of pain.

Have not been out in anything that doesn't have 4wd/awd and snow tires.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #417
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Have you been riding much. Morning have been around the zero temp mark. And the roads are snow pack. My snow/ice riding experiance has always been accompanied with a lot of pain.

Have not been out in anything that doesn't have 4wd/awd and snow tires.
I did some ice races (bare tire class) a couple weeks ago. We'll be back in a week or two. In a few weeks we have the Elephant Ride. And there are a couple dry spots near here that we ride in the winter.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #418
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Does anyone know if you can mount the xr400 oil cooler on the DR350. I like the hidden nature of the xr400 cooler, very safe.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #419
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

This cooler ended up selling for $305!!! That's an expensive oil cooler.

Quote:
Two things I keep an eye out for are the DR250S tranny and DR oil coolers. Since I built my bike I have only seen two oil coolers for sale, both were the Jagg unit. I bought and installed one and it works great.

This is the first factory oil cooler I've seen for sale. I think this came stock on the CA models. It should give better oil line routing than the Jagg unit. I think the price he is asking is real high (but like I said, it's the only one I've ever seen). I'm not buying this one, if someone else wants it, grab it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #420
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,613
Just bought this one for cheap compared to that. This is not the OEM but a JAGG but for me better than nothing. How much extra oil does it hold with cooler?

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 09:57 AM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote