Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #72871
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Has anyone installed the Cogent DIY shock modification kit. Any problems or concerns?

Thanks
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #72872
planemanx15
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
I have an IMS 4.9 gal tank that's pretty decent. There's a Safari tank that's way more massive, but if you need the capacity, it's there. Check out Procycle.com. They've got a few different ones.

www.Procycle.us *
2003 BMW R1150RT - The new beast
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #72873
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
You can't be serious right?
I own both so I actually KNOW what I'm talking about.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #72874
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
FI problems just buy a V Strom 1000 !!!!!

TravelGuy
Had one that sucked but have a few other with FI, wouldn't want carbs on my C14. With the shiiiii gas we get today you got to keep the fuel fresh for those carbs. Guess that might be true for FI but seems like less of an issue.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #72875
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Thanks for taking my jibe with good humor.
It's a fine line; one guy gets p!ssed, the next guy gets the joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
Ride safe - stay warm, winter is sucking right about now.
It's 6F*

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #72876
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
heres another good thing about the DRs smooth engine: makes a reasonable video platform
Very well done Video!
Is that your work? Or from another source? And of course I have to ask ...
do you know what Camera was used? Great image quality throughout!
Some Hellish mud there mate and some knarly tracks for the DR650.
Good going.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #72877
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I bought a 2002 BMW F650GS new, essentially the same as the Sertao, when I got back into riding after a long break. My wife and I put a lot of miles on it, and it has still not had any problems at all. No engine problems, engine's never been apart except for routing valve checks; no FI issues at all, still has the original wheel bearings, it just keeps going on and on with its new owner.

It's got 115,000 kms on it now. Routine maintenance is the key to longevity with any machine.
There are plenty of owners like yourself that have had good luck with the F650's. The model goes back to around 1994 and the first "Funduro" model.

But if you follow travel reports you'll find LOTS of things have failed ... repeatedly ... on the F650's. Most common things were: dead batteries (BMW did not use a sealed battery),over charging, overheating due to failed water pumps, fuel pump issues, cracked shock mount and failed shocks, broken off forks, and lots of lots of bad wheel bearings.

Having read the Chain Gang forum for years and followed Horizon's Unlimited travelers since about 2002, I've heard quite a few trouble issues. Still, at least 75% have had NO such issues.

My theory is when pushed hard with a load ... the F650's weak areas can show up. I feel the Chinese made BMW's and Huskies will both be better in the long run.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #72878
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The Terra is made mostly in China, IMO, it won't hold up as well as the Sertao. But still, most folks would be able to get 50K out of either without troubles.
I disagree. Although nothing can really be proved definitively YET ... I feel that the Euro goes further in China and better quality will be the result. If the basic design is sound then with precise manufacture and top quality components it's a Win Win for BMW (and Husky) After all ... BMW make cars in China too.

What's been hurting BMW the last 10 years or so has been some dodgy Eastern European parts suppliers ... and some slip shod QA (quality assurance) in Berlin. Even former BMW designer David Robb admitted to this.

Quote:
That being said, I doubt MY DR will get 50K miles without at least a top end. That kind of thing reflects just as much on the how the bike is ridden as much as what brand/model it is.
Based on some experience with the DR I feel it may not be the top end that will be in need of service. If the gear box lets go ... well

But I'm sure a fresh top end couldn't hurt if you tend to over rev and hold the bike at high RPM's for long periods. Mine's at 50K now ... still good compression, no oil use and good power!
Look after the oil, valve adjustments and filters and it may surprise you.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #72879
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
The DR vs most any other bike is such a great compromise. To me the best, that makes it so cool, it isn't anything, it's everything. Yep, spend the coin on a BMW and you will get a better street bike for a cost in dollars and off road performance and maintenance. The BMWs suspension is not any better either. I don't know about the husky, I'd like to try one. A Ktm 690 would be cool but I'm thinking that two dr 650s would cost less to buy and maintain. I'm a card carrying member of the DR 650 fan club, can't help it
Well said.
The reviews of the Husky Terra suspension has (so far) been pretty good.
I believe they're using Sachs suspension on the Terra. I don't have a lot of experience with Sachs, only test ridden a few Huskies and Aprilias fitted with them. Has to be better than the Bottom shelf Showa items BMW have fit to their 650 line for so many years.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #72880
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Rear wheel and cushdrive seal

Anybody have the skf part number for these seals? My local Autoparts carries Skf, and I need to give them the part number. Thanks.

Bill
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #72881
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,231
Anybody know the torque settings for head bolts on an 02? Must buy book.
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #72882
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
690 doesn't cost anymore to maintain then a DR. Does cost more to begin with, but you do get a lot more for that money as well.
I had a new KTM 640 in 2002 and I don't see any difference in simple maintenance cost between that and my DR650's. I do all my own work but an oil change is the same the valves are super easy on both of them, changing tires is the same, reliability was the same- nothing broke on either of them. Sprockets and chain, air filters, even aftermarket springs are the same. Most of the concern for long time costs never occur for most riders as they sell the bike and buy another before anything breaks. I did have a 950 that I had to replace the water pump on but the greater problem was obtaining parts and not that the parts were so much more expensive. Even if they were say 20% more if it only happens once how do you ultimately know it costs more to own a KTM 950 than a Suzuki Vstrom which I did also own. Besides that ownership costs are spread out so far as to be meaningless since owning a motorcycle is in itself much more expensive than a car, even though the gas is usually cheaper. My wife and I both had DR650's for a few years and it cost me more for us to go on a bike trip than taking our car to the same trip. Two bikes at 50 mpg equals one car at 25 mpg not to mention tires and oil changes etc. The overall cost of riding and owning motorcycles is far greater than the minuscule difference in maintenance costs of owning a European bike over a bike from Japan.
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #72883
CDHMotorsports
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Hot Start Problem ??????????

Hey guys, I just got my 01 DR650 about 12 weeks aga and everything is great with it except on a couple of rides we have stopped for a few minutes and the bike wont start. I can roll it off and it will pop-start though. any ideas? Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #72884
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDHMotorsports View Post
Hey guys, I just got my 01 DR650 about 12 weeks aga and everything is great with it except on a couple of rides we have stopped for a few minutes and the bike wont start. I can roll it off and it will pop-start though. any ideas? Thanks
You'll have to give us some more info. Cranks fine but won't start? Cranks slow? Button does nothing? Backfires?
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #72885
godaddygo
drdude

Oddometer: 231
Stock head light questions

This a quote from the "Short way around the world"
http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Wondering if anyone has given this a try?

Headlight Not riding at night is one of the golden rules of overland travel by motorcycle and I avoid it most of the time. There have been occasions though where I’ve been caught out and where I would really have benefitted from better lighting. However, as these times are few and far between I didn’t want to spend any money on expensive additional/replacement lights. The solution (though I’ll have to wait to prove it) seems to have come simply and cheaply in the form of a simple relay circuit and a better bulb. The theory: The stock headlight circuit uses small gauge wire connected through the switch to supply the headlight. This modification uses the OEM wiring to switch one of two relays (1 High beam, 1 Low) which in turn connect the headlight direct to the battery via larger gauge wires and an inline fuse. This system reduces the voltage drop to 0.1v; a drop of 1.0v can equate to a 25% reduction in the headlights ‘output. I also added a Phillips X-Treme headlight bulb of the OEM rating 60/55w.
godaddygo is offline   Reply With Quote