Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #76
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJakeR View Post
Hope this is not a dumb Q but...

can the Montana be used without buying any maps from Garmin?

I'm doing a trek in Patagonia in January and since there are no Topo maps for the area available (from Garmin) can I buy the Montana and load waypoints for the trek and just follow them on the Montana without loading any purchased maps?

Considering this as a backup to my compass.

Thanks.
Check with these guys they have remote maps like this one for Chile: http://store.gpstravelmaps.com/Chile_p/chile.htm

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #77
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Correct. That lineup will do what you want it to.

A 24k series map has more detail (in theory), but the 100k series map in the 650T is pretty good.
I bought and received all of the above. I loaded theCity Navigator DVD onto my PC and the Garmin site required my 650t attached and (i guess) proceeded to update the map. The site said complete after about a 2 hour download. My questions (please):

1 When I use a "Where To" the unit says there are no active maps. Where are the maps I just loaded?

2 When the unit is connected to the PC it shows that connection symbol on the unit but otherwise does not appear active. Is this normal.

3 The 650t manual is very basic and does not discuss maps and routing very well (at least to me). Can you suggest another source of information/knowledge?

Thanks

Best
Greg Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #78
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wildwood View Post
I bought and received all of the above. I loaded theCity Navigator DVD onto my PC and the Garmin site required my 650t attached and (i guess) proceeded to update the map. The site said complete after about a 2 hour download. My questions (please):

1 When I use a "Where To" the unit says there are no active maps. Where are the maps I just loaded?

2 When the unit is connected to the PC it shows that connection symbol on the unit but otherwise does not appear active. Is this normal.

3 The 650t manual is very basic and does not discuss maps and routing very well (at least to me). Can you suggest another source of information/knowledge?

Thanks

Best
1. You've got to 'turn on' the maps in the GPS itself:
setup
map
map information
tap the map product you loaded in to enable it.
Back out to the main menu.

2. Yes. The GPS will not display anything but the USB interface logo while its connected to the computer. If you're using a Windows system, you should see the Montana show up as a drive in "my computer". If you've got an SD card in the slot, that will show up as well.

3. The big Montana thread is pretty good, as is Garmin's online documentation.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #79
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,908
Quote:

Thanks

Best
The City Navigator map may be on your computer but not loaded to the gps yet. Have you used MapInstall to load the maps?

Here's a Garmin page describing how to use MapInstall.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #80
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

I have the 650t and purchased and installed City Navigator on the unit.. I am having difficulty when wanting to use the unit for hiking. My back yard joins into a 2500 acre state park that has dense tree coverage. I want to explore the woods but be able to press Go Home and have the unit map a straight path to my house. I can disable the City Navigator and then try to navigate from point A to B and the unit will say "Maps do not have routable roads in this area. Given I am hiking I am willing to walk offroad. How do I get the unit to overcome this.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #81
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
I have the 650t and purchased and installed City Navigator on the unit.. I am having difficulty when wanting to use the unit for hiking. My back yard joins into a 2500 acre state park that has dense tree coverage. I want to explore the woods but be able to press Go Home and have the unit map a straight path to my house. I can disable the City Navigator and then try to navigate from point A to B and the unit will say "Maps do not have routable roads in this area. Given I am hiking I am willing to walk offroad. How do I get the unit to overcome this.
City Navigator maps have routable ROADS, as you are finding.

Why not just go to the Geocache profile on the unit, and use that to guide you to the waypoint (Home)?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #82
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
City Navigator maps have routable ROADS, as you are finding.

Why not just go to the Geocache profile on the unit, and use that to guide you to the waypoint (Home)?
Thanks for your prompt reply. Your suggestion does get me a straight walking line to my destination. It would seem that the hiking profile should bear the same result.

Best
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #83
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
You have to change your Routing options to not be routing on-road. There are many ways to change your current Profile to make it go off-road but the easiest is to switch to the Recreation Profile.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #84
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You have to change your Routing options to not be routing on-road. There are many ways to change your current Profile to make it go off-road but the easiest is to switch to the Recreation Profile.
When I use the Recreational profile and the City Navigator is enabled it calculated routes on roadways. When I use Recreational profile and the City Navigator is disabled I get "Maps do not routable roads in this area" Under Settings, Routings and Activity there is a Hiking activity, I am confused as to this function.

Thanks

Best
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #85
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
When I use the Recreational profile and the City Navigator is enabled it calculated routes on roadways. When I use Recreational profile and the City Navigator is disabled I get "Maps do not routable roads in this area" Under Settings, Routings and Activity there is a Hiking activity, I am confused as to this function.
In your Recreational Profile, go to Setup/Routing and in the area called "Activity" select one like "Hiking" or "Pedestrian Walking". You can also choose "Prompted" then make your selection at the time.

Go back to Setup/Maps/Select Map and enable your Topo map, and disable City Navigator. The only other map you should leave enabled in this profile would be the Worldwide DEM Basemap.

See if this works for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #86
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
In your Recreational Profile, go to Setup/Routing and in the area called "Activity" select one like "Hiking" or "Pedestrian Walking". You can also choose "Prompted" then make your selection at the time.

Go back to Setup/Maps/Select Map and enable your Topo map, and disable City Navigator. The only other map you should leave enabled in this profile would be the Worldwide DEM Basemap.

See if this works for you.
Do you know how I can see what the detail of the defaults are in the various profiles?

Best
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #87
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 987
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new 600.

I have one question as to what to get.

I want to be able to pre-load routes to ride on a trip, but have the ability to search for local gas stations, restaurants other POI etc during that trip, and have the 600 route me to that location, and then continue on the pre-loaded routes.

To be able to do this will I need the City Nav as well as the 24K topo for the area that I am riding in, and switch between profiles or is this done via the basemap?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #88
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a new 600.

I have one question as to what to get.

I want to be able to pre-load routes to ride on a trip, but have the ability to search for local gas stations, restaurants other POI etc during that trip, and have the 600 route me to that location, and then continue on the pre-loaded routes.

To be able to do this will I need the City Nav as well as the 24K topo for the area that I am riding in, and switch between profiles or is this done via the basemap?
For what you describe, CNNA is all you would need.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #89
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
For what you describe, CNNA is all you would need.

Thanks