Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
shin938 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
any tool to help picking up your adventure in the mud when you are by yourself?

Hello
I dropped my 1150 adventure more then once, I can pick it up and I know the methods of doing that.
but few day ago I dropped it in the mud, there was no way I could pick it up by myself, the mud is too slippery and you can't get a hold on the ground. I tried a lot, I was lucky and some people passed by after an hour or so and helped me.

I wonder, is there a solution for this situation in the form of some tool that can help? I can think of a lift handle or some kind of air bag or something, does anybody know of something like that?

Thank you.
shin938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,835
a rope at the very least
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
What methods are you using? The only two methods I'm accustomed to are lifting and pushing. I can understand pushing is traction-dependent, but lifting is not, except theory and real-world applications don't always mesh. That said, my limited knowledge might be more or less expansive than yours and "common sense" and "common knowledge" never really applies.

I can squat lift quite a bit of weight, but I've been blessed with strong legs. Because of that, I may not have pursued other avenues of lifting my GS.

Think of mechanical advantage. Can I use a lever or a pulley?
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
I hate to state the obvious, but this is exactly why I don't do that sh!t when I'm riding by myself. I'll ride gravel but no sugar sand, no deep mud, without a buddy.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Cool2 Yeah, Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I hate to state the obvious, but this is exactly why I don't do that sh!t when I'm riding by myself. I'll ride gravel but no sugar sand, no deep mud, without a buddy.

I understand, but sometimes you either ride through the mud or turn around and sometimes turning around is not a good option or even possible.

The problem of mud is a real one. While I carry pulleys and a rope, you still need an anchor point. It will be interesting to hear of solutions and options.

Before anyone cries "idiot", I also do ride alone, off road and way out beyond help...my choice, but I try to be well prepared for issues like this one. Amplify that by sliding downhill on a steep slope. Sometimes walking out is the last option.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
I understand, but sometimes you either ride through the mud or turn around and sometimes turning around is not a good option or even possible.

The problem of mud is a real one. While I carry pulleys and a rope, you still need an anchor point. It will be interesting to hear of solutions and options.

Before anyone cries "idiot", I also do ride alone, off road and way out beyond help...my choice, but I try to be well prepared for issues like this one. Amplify that by sliding downhill on a steep slope. Sometimes walking out is the last option.
Not riding in the first place may be the obvious solution, but your bike is still in the mud. Hopefully there might be better solutions presented. :)
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
sportbiker929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
tow truck, crane?

95 XR650L, Mikuni Pumper, Yosh, Baja Designs race Light, Pro tapers, Cycra Pro Bends, Magura 1/4 turn, Pirelli MT90s.
sportbiker929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Aw Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbiker929 View Post
tow truck, crane?
Man, only someone from the 'Delta' would suggest that ....well that is better than 'stay home and don't ride'...you forgot a helicopter extraction..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
So if there is no anchor point to play with, there really isnt much more option but to lift it out of the mud. No clever mechanism or winch will work without an anchor point.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Before anyone cries "idiot", I also do ride alone, off road and way out beyond help...my choice,
Me too and if there is water and/or mud, I walk the trail first to find the best line. But there is always the possibility I could lose my bike or more. I am aware of it and accept the possibility.
Last year was a bad one for me. I dropped the bike 3 times, twice on grades with the top of the bike downhill. I was able to muscle the bike up but I don’t know how I did it, desperation I suppose.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
The lift bag has merit. They use them to move barges. What around is portable, tough, and fillable with what? I dunno, just relaxing on the couch, glad I have a little 650.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...upersingle.htm

Only issue with this the bike needs to run to operate it...running it on its side is not optimal.
It might operate on pumped air though as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,473
If it's deep enough, the bike isn't going anywhere even if you pick it up.

I have seen at least one inmate that carried a ground anchor and a come along when he rode in questionable places. There is that small electric winch you could mount as well. Biggest issue is finding things to attach it to.

Obviously my asshole level suggestion is to use a lighter bike for riding like that. It's probably one reason nobody is doing the TAT on an 1150.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,026
one more asshole level suggestion from me too - was use an XR650 ...... for the further away, rough terrain, solo rides
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I get so sick of people always saying dont ride your bike there...get a better bike....buy a lighter bike {KTm, XR, DR, KLR....}

What if the OP and others like me do NOT want a different bike?

I want to ride hundreds of miles on the hiway, and when I see something cool, I want to ride off hiway there, If there is mud on that trail or road, I will ride through it. If I fall I will have to pick it up. The OP is just looking for ideas on making that easier in tough circumstances. Not how to revamp his life to conform to what YOU think it should be.

I have had MANY KTMs, a DR, 2 XRs, and ridden a KLR...I do NOT want one of those. I do NOT like any of those on the hiway. Can they go there...sure. Do I want to ride cross country on the I-40 on a DR...hell no.

Personally I can not resist riding small light bikes like they were MX bikes. I always do. I always break them, and sometimes break myself. I want a hiway bike that CAN go out in the dirt, one I KNOW I need to respect and take it easier on so I can still get back where I want to get to off road, but not feel motivated to double jump that ravine, blast that sand berm, and blitz some row of whoops.

I know I will drop a GS once in a while and I will need to pick it up in sand and mud....that is all the OP is asking