Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #3541
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by biensur22 View Post
I see what you're saying, but my frame hole is definitely threaded. I wonder if I should just drill it out.

I like the idea of both, an I would generally prefer the kick over the center for convenience, but the stock kickstand is so flimsy I'm always affraid it's about to break off.
Well, my bike is a 2002 so there are probably some differences. The KTM side stand for my bike uses both bolt holes on the left side, one of which is the bottom "stamped" hole for the center stand. If that hole is not blocked on your bike, then maybe you can just drill it and use the side stand and center stand together. Or maybe there was a different design of center stand for your bike?

EDIT: Just looked your bike up on the Fiche, looks like it's the same setup as mine, so I don't know why that bottom bolt hole on your bike is threaded.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 06:31 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #3542
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Well, my bike is a 2002 so there are probably some differences. The KTM side for my bike uses both bolt holes on the left side, one of which is the bottom "stamped" hole for the center stand. If that hole is not blocked on your bike, then maybe you can just drill it and use the side stand and center stand together. Or maybe there was a different design of center stand for your bike?

EDIT: Just looked your bike up on the Fiche, looks like it's the same setup as mine, so I don't know why that bottom bolt hole on your bike is threaded.
So it sounds like the best solution would be to drill it out. I'm ok with that, I've had a some time to morn the loss of arbitrary threading and I've accepted it.

Did you have a stomp pad (can't think of the right name for it) welded onto your center stand for ease of use, of do you just use it as it came?

Past Rides: 1994 KTM 400 EXC WP/D LC4 - Plated; 2001 BMW F650GS Thumper; 1970 CB175; 2003 KLR250
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #3543
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,961
You get to the point where you have had it...

The hot wrench, custom bend and BTW!

Please note only one spring(extra carried for a spare because the smack two springs will give your lower leg makes water boarding seem like child's play).

My center stand is shortened for lowered suspension and has the infamous step from back in the day which ID's me as an old fool.

And yes the whole kickstand broke off and the bike and I fell on my tent and I almost died.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 09:27 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #3544
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by biensur22 View Post
So it sounds like the best solution would be to drill it out. I'm ok with that, I've had a some time to morn the loss of arbitrary threading and I've accepted it.

Did you have a stomp pad (can't think of the right name for it) welded onto your center stand for ease of use, of do you just use it as it came?
No I haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post

That's a SW Motech that's been welded?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #3545
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
It certainly looks like a Motech. The ''death trap'' as some of us call it .. It will damage your shin big time if it happens to get in its way while it is retracting ...

A word of caution. Welding is way better. If you use the same bolt for the side and the center stand, there is a good chance that the center stand bolt breaks if the load on the bike is high. It has happened and the only way to avoid was to drill through the center stand and put bolts. If it is left on its own (the center stand I mean), it should be ok.

I have seen other bike which have both the side KTM stand and the center but have no idea how they do it
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #3546
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Here's how you install a SW Motech stand with a KTM centre stand the proper way................

Cheers
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #3547
bmwktmbill
Traveler

That's nice Drop, I'm not sure what's holding my center stand on, a piece of the old stud?

The kickstand is a SW Motech.
The death trap..perfect, never heard that.
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #3548
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Bill;
It looks like on the left side of your bike, the centre stand is held on by whats left of the stud.
My old 640 was like that when I got it.
It might be an idea to get the left side fixed up with a welded bolt like I used.
Get a bolt that has a bit of a shoulder so any threads that might be there do not dig into the frame or wear out.

Cheers
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #3549
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Bill;
It looks like on the left side of your bike, the centre stand is held on by whats left of the stud.
My old 640 was like that when I got it.
It might be an idea to get the left side fixed up with a welded bolt like I used.
Get a bolt that has a bit of a shoulder so any threads that might be there do not dig into the frame or wear out.

Cheers
Drop,
Now I get it and know for sure I need to fix mine like you did.
Darn, better get on that.

The center stand should pull off with the kickstand in place. Right?

Wish my bike was cleaner.
I rode it just before the snow flew.
Thanks,
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #3550
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Bill;
The centre stand should remove with the side stand staying in place with the upper bolt.
Your side stand is welded on, correct?

If you weld on a longer bolt onto the centre stand.........try to get a bolt with a shoulder long enough to go through the frame and your side stand.
Use a 10mm bolt. The stock stud has a 10mm shoulder, but drops to an 8mm stud.

You will need to use a nylock or stover nut with a flat washer as you can not tighten the nut up completely. It needs to swing with the centre stand.

Once you install the nylock/washer, cut the excess bolt off.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #3551
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Quote:
Bill;
The centre stand should remove with the side stand staying in place with the upper bolt.
Your side stand is welded on, correct?

If you weld on a longer bolt onto the centre stand.........try to get a bolt with a shoulder long enough to go through the frame and your side stand.
Use a 10mm bolt. The stock stud has a 10mm shoulder, but drops to an 8mm stud.

You will need to use a nylock or stover nut with a flat washer as you can not tighten the nut up completely. It needs to swing with the centre stand.

Once you install the nylock/washer, cut the excess bolt off.

Cheers
Got it.
Nylock is an easy idea.
Thanks,
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #3552
T3/T4 Hybrid
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 70
Hello, I'm a new to me KTM owner. I purchased a 2000 640 LC4 in Dec of 2012 and was hoping someone here could direct me to where I could purchase a decal for my gas tank. Im looking for an orange decal like the one in this post on ADV Rider. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253464

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #3553
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

Hi all, this is a premature post on my part. But I think I have this bracket, new, in a box somewhere.... If anyone wants it I'll let it go for shipping plus a donation to Baldy. I'm posting before I confirm this as I know I'll forget about it if I don't do it now. With my current work schedule it may take a few weeks before I can dig it out and ship it. If your interested PM me, be patient and I will get back to you. Just trying to help out an inmate and ADV which has given me so much.

Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #3554
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
Hi all, this is a premature post on my part. But I think I have this bracket, new, in a box somewhere.... If anyone wants it I'll let it go for shipping plus a donation to Baldy. I'm posting before I confirm this as I know I'll forget about it if I don't do it now. With my current work schedule it may take a few weeks before I can dig it out and ship it. If your interested PM me, be patient and I will get back to you. Just trying to help out an inmate and ADV which has given me so much.

Gerst
I could definitely use it if its the SW-Motech, which is what that looks like. Mine was left loose for too long and needs alot of help! Sending PM
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #3555
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Low;
If Gerst has the exact stand mount that is on my bike, then it IS a SW Motech mount.

Cheers