ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
trailuser
take the backroads
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Illinois
Oddometer: 1,382
sprocket size

what gearing are you going to run for DS?
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #17
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,186
Baja Designs DS Kit

I'm considering putting a dual sport kit on this bike. Can you post some pics in more detail of where you mounted all the bits the Baja Designs kit came with. Wish you could have showed how the 3 wire looms all connected up to the OEM connectors. Horn, ignition, switch gear, etc. Nice job!

__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides Vermont, MA and RI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-ray View Post
....In other words, there is currently no way to legally title the bike for on road use in Louisiana.
Dang it! This bike is street legal in other countries. Why not here?
__________________
2007 KTM 450EXC Plated
2006 KTM 950 Supermoto
2009 YZ450F "Woodserized"
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
Dang it! This bike is street legal in other countries. Why not here?
There are creative ways to get around this problem.
__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides Vermont, MA and RI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Rusty Shovel
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 67
My dealer in TX is offering to install the Baja Designs kit and sell a 2013 WR450F with an original Texas STREET title. $9,800 out the door.

I don't know whether to do this or get the 690 Enduro R, or 500EXC. I'm going to buy before next month.

If I do go with the WR450F, what gearing would ya'll recommend? I don't anticipate spending more than an hour on the interstate at a time. Mostly city streets, back roads, dirt roads, and single track.

I wish the 450 was a 6 speed.

Oh, and how much does the Baja kit weigh?

And what DOT tires would ya'll recommend?

Also, the dealer told me the service intervals on the 450 would be similar to the 250 if I rode it as a dual sport, is he on crack?

Thanks in advance,

Shovel
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,186
The WR450F is an enduro bike and it's home is off road in the woods or desert. Any paved road sections should only be used as transfer sections between the off road areas. Any time spend slogging down the open highway will grow old fast. When it's in it's element it will make you happy. Baja Designs kit doesn't weigh much that your really going to notice. You could save money and install it yourself. It's all plug and play. Dealer is making a handsome profit.

The 500 EXC or 690R, IMHO, would be a better choice is your going to spend more time on tarmac. The 6th gear will be much appreciated.
__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides Vermont, MA and RI.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
Cyberg
Adventurer
 
Cyberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 37
I had a plated 2006 WR450. It was a good bike for 20 street and 80 dirt. It had some vibs at hwy speed. Not saying the new WR will have vibs.

I have also owned two 500 ktms and they are 25 street and 75 dirt. I really like the 6 spd so you can have a low first and a tall sixth.

I have also owned 5 Berg 570 and they are only 30 street and 70 dirt. Lots of tq so you can gear it a little taller.

I now own a Berg 350 and its plated. It is 20 street and 80 dirt. Its a little revy at hwy speed.

Tomorrow I pick up a 09 KTM 690. Im hoping for 40 street and 60 dirt.

This is just my opinion on how the bikes felt to me. So If you like the WR better than the KTM get it. You pobably wont notice enough gains with the KTM to sway your choice in the long run. Plus Yamahas are bullet proof for me.

Plus the TX street title will keep the resale of your bike high for the future.
Cyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
Davidjohnson
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 78
Misc. Questions

1. Do you do the grey wire mod on the '12, & '13 or is it handled thru the mapping in the competition ECU?

2. Has anybody tried the yamaha performance muffler insert as opposed to removing the stock insert? If so, would you do it again, or just remove the stock insert?

3. I see no metal skidplates on the two bikes pictured in this thread, any particular reason why? Are the plastic things okay?

4. What real world range do you get out of the stock 1.9 gallon tank with a 90/10 mix of casual riding (not racing)?

Thanks for your response

DJ
__________________
David Johnson
Davidjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner
 
antpatterson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: South MS
Oddometer: 386
I live in MS and titling a offroad bike is beyond easy, so step on over and title it here! I titled my 08 KTM XCR-W within a few weeks and only cost $140 if I remember right. It took me awhile only due to tracking down the original title and owner to confirm that the bike was now mine. Good luck with getting it titled!
__________________
2009 XR650L (100+k miles)
2008 Qlink XP200 (60k miles)
2006 CRF250r (traded)
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjohnson View Post
1. Do you do the grey wire mod on the '12, & '13 or is it handled thru the mapping in the competition ECU?

2. Has anybody tried the yamaha performance muffler insert as opposed to removing the stock insert? If so, would you do it again, or just remove the stock insert?

3. I see no metal skidplates on the two bikes pictured in this thread, any particular reason why? Are the plastic things okay?

4. What real world range do you get out of the stock 1.9 gallon tank with a 90/10 mix of casual riding (not racing)?

Thanks for your response

DJ
Sorry for the slow reply. Yesterday is the first day in over a month that I have been on ADV due to me being a slacker!
1. The gray wire mod is not neccessary (as far as I know) as the competition ECU handles most of the uncorking.

2. I have not tried the insert. Removing the stock insert helps but I would consider a performance exhaust as the outlet is still pretty small. Obviously you would need to adjust the fuel mixture with the GYTR tuner if you did this.

3. The plastic is ok for what I do. I may still go to aluminum once I get some more time on the bike.

4. I can go about 75 miles before the light comes on (it is pretty pessimistic). I really don't have the bike broken in yet so I am not sure what the final fuel mileage is going to look like. If you are thinking about doing 90% road I would consider a different bike. If its 90% dirt you're looking at this would be right up your alley!
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #26
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpatterson View Post
I live in MS and titling a offroad bike is beyond easy, so step on over and title it here! I titled my 08 KTM XCR-W within a few weeks and only cost $140 if I remember right. It took me awhile only due to tracking down the original title and owner to confirm that the bike was now mine. Good luck with getting it titled!
One of the big problems with titling a WR is the MSO states "For Offroad Use Only" in big letters. I don't believe that KTM does that.
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
I have a title and tags!

Well I was able to finally talk a sympathetic tag office (not the dmv office) into submitting my MSO to see what happens. LA sent me my title in under a week! I don't think their system is set up yet to catch offroad bikes and it sailed through.
I thought I was going to have to go through another state, but luckily that wasn't the case. If you already have an offroad title it may be a lot tougher to get it through.
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shovel View Post
My dealer in TX is offering to install the Baja Designs kit and sell a 2013 WR450F with an original Texas STREET title. $9,800 out the door.

I don't know whether to do this or get the 690 Enduro R, or 500EXC. I'm going to buy before next month.

If I do go with the WR450F, what gearing would ya'll recommend? I don't anticipate spending more than an hour on the interstate at a time. Mostly city streets, back roads, dirt roads, and single track.

I wish the 450 was a 6 speed.

Oh, and how much does the Baja kit weigh?

And what DOT tires would ya'll recommend?

Also, the dealer told me the service intervals on the 450 would be similar to the 250 if I rode it as a dual sport, is he on crack?

Thanks in advance,

Shovel
I have left my gearing stock for the time being but have kept it under 65mph on the highway as the motor is still new. My YZ450 motard had one tooth up on the front and three down on the back. This was good for a little over 105mph with 17' rear wheel. This would be way too tall for off-road. It's hard to draw a comparison between the two as the internal YZ ratios are much shorter.

Six speeds are nice but I'm not sure that it's necessary in this application. Opinions vary...

The Baja kit itself is very light (2 lbs?). The mirrors and turn signals probably add a couple more pounds. It wasn't enough to really notice.

I am still running the stock knobbies so I don't currently have any recommendations at this time.

My belief is that the service interval on the 450 would be much more frequent. The WR250R (factory dual sport) is a wet sump machine and carries more oil in the crankcases then the dry sump WR450. Also, the piston skirt on the 250 is longer for more durability. Most importantly, the valve adjustment interval on the 250 is every 26,000 miles. The 450 is way more frequent. Having owned a WR250x (the street motard version) I would be very tempted to go that way again. They have good power and the gearing is pretty good. What most people don't realize is the WR250R will run (or outrun) a DRZ400. I really just like putting these bikes together so I went with the 450.
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!

motor-ray screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 05:18 PM
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
I'm considering putting a dual sport kit on this bike. Can you post some pics in more detail of where you mounted all the bits the Baja Designs kit came with. Wish you could have showed how the 3 wire looms all connected up to the OEM connectors. Horn, ignition, switch gear, etc. Nice job!

Thanks for the nice comment. I plan on posting more pics (hopefully today )
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
motor-ray OP
FNG
 
motor-ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The Big Easy
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
so this plate doesnt let you drive on the roads?

That is a "borrowed" license plate in this picture. I now have a fully legal plate.
__________________
No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!
motor-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014