Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #256
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I've had two that I would consider rare or unusual; one rare, one unusual.

The rare one: 2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S. It lacked the pricey suspension, brake, and tuning upgrades of its 910R sibling, but it was...well...just a brutal bike, and only lacked about 6-8 hp as compared to the 910R. Absolutely brilliant on a smooth, twisting back road, with telepathic handling, fantastic brakes, and an engine that really came into its own north of 6000 rpm. It was an absolute wheelie machine...just think about twisting the right grip, and if you weren't leaned over the tank, the front wheel was coming up. WAY too easy to go flying past 100mph without realizing it. It hated being ridden in town...it would heat up fast (unless you swapped in a high-flow water pump, a better radiator fan, and a cooler thermostat), and fueling was snatchy below 4000 rpm (unless you installed a power commander and had it dyno tuned). I sold it for two reasons: due to a worsening back, I could only ride it for 10-15 minutes before pain set in, and because it lifted its front wheel so easily I knew it was going to kill me very, very quickly.

The unusual: a 2006 Hyosung Beaver 125 scooter that I owned while I was in Seoul. Not rare in Korea, but just the name made it unusual (for westerners anyway) and pretty funny. Typical comment from bystanders: "Hey Sir, nice beaver!" Or "Hey Sir, it's raining and you rode in today? You like wet beaver?" Yeah, yeah, laugh it up...you know you want to ride my beaver. I sold it just before I left Korea in 2007.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #257
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Not to rare

I have a 1950 Harley Hydra Glide now, not to rare but seemed to buy bikes that were not very popular. 1966 106cc Sears, SC500 Yamaha, 1969 R60US had telescopic forks think they only made it one year, SP600 Suzuki made it one year.
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #258
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,485
While stationed in Italy, I bought a mid 90's Yamaha TZR125RR for $500. It had been crashed several times, I got it back to the states (in pieces)...reassembled it and sold it to an enthusiast in Utah.

It was stupid fast for a 125cc....maybe I'll dig up a pic tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #259
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
My turn

I think the rarest bike I ever owned was the 100cc 1971 Rockford TAKA. These were built with Bridgestone tooling in the early 1970s. I never saw any more, other than the ones my father and uncle sold from their motorcycle shop in Atlanta, Illinois.

The next rarest was the 500cc Ossa Yankee-Z. If my memory is correct, Yankee Motors from Schenectady New York, built less than 800 units, of which my father sold 11 of them.

I had the most fun with a 1973 Ossa Pioneer.

One of the very few street bikes I have owned was the last year production of the 2-stroke water cooled 3 cylinder Suzuki GT750 (Water Buffalo).

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #260
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Laugh Bridgestone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_adv View Post
I think the rarest bike I ever owned was the 100cc 1971 Rockford TAKA. These were built with Bridgestone tooling in the early 1970s. I never saw any more, other than the ones my father and uncle sold from their motorcycle shop in Atlanta, Illinois.

Brad

First motorcycle shop I ever worked in back in 1970 was one that specialized in British bike repair but also was the local dealer for Bridgestone an Montesa. Those Bridgestones were *ROCKETS*... The 90cc models, 100's, 175 twins, and 350 twins. Very high tech for their day, too. Chrome liners, rotary valves, and even selective shifting on some models... Where you could have a gearbox that shifted *normally* - up and back through the gears - or with the flip of a lever on the cases you could have a *rotary* shift, where you had neutral at the bottom of the pattern, then would shift up 1-2-3-4-5 and then if you pulled up again it went straight back into neutral!!!

A bit bizarre to ride at first, but made a bit of sense in situations with a ton of stop-and-go. Still, it was obviously not something most folks found useful...

Still, I thought those Bridgestones bikes were trick, and I really wanted one of their 350 GTR rotary-valve twins.

Thanks for jogging the memory!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #261
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,014
Not so much "owned" as, my dad bought it, but it was mine to use, back when I was fourteen~fifteen.

I think we had the "Trail 125" model.

more info
http://pacificsites.com/~bobkarol/holder/

Thanks Bob, I thought this stuff was lost forever...

My dad had been friends with the owners of the company back when they were running the streets.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch

SlipChip screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 06:11 AM
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #262
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,704
Now its this one:

I have an illness.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #263
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,816
While I didn't own it, technically my parents did. They had a multi line dealership in the seventies, & somehow a Hercules Wankel found its way in. I rode it a few times, & have it on good authority that it would put an RD350 to shame. Wish I could find one today.

'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #264
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Wish I could find one today.
Cool bike. I always have one eye open for finding one. There was a barn-find in New York last year but, the guy wanted top dollar and he had no title (bill of sale only). Too much hassle to deal with from across the country.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #265
zeerx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
A 1965 Honda CL72............that I wish I had back.
'66 CL77
'12 F150 (Ford)
zeerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #266
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Neat Thread

A Honda SL70. What I didn't know at the time is that mine was the one-year only color of Summer Yellow, just like this one I saw at Mid-Ohio a few years ago for $5000!

I was 14 and over dinner one night told my parents I wanted to buy a little motorcycle a friend had for sale for $125. They looked at each other and didn't say much. I brought it home the next day. My dad asked "Did we say you could buy that?" I replied "You didn't say no, so I did." My best friend had a 3 1/2 HP minibike, and I wooped up on him with my Honda. Until I ran it through a puddle so deep it flooded the crankcase, it shot a big jet of water out the pipe when I kicked it over, but it eventually started. I didn't know enough to change the oil, and 2 weeks later the thing seized up and broke a transmission shaft. It got junked, and my parents were none too sad. Some day I'm going to get an XR600 and paint it that color.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #267
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Now its this one:

I have an illness.
Yes, in fact you do! Cool bike, but you can have the maintenance...
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #268
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,829
Wow, I thought I was going to be able to post about the Taka and be the only one.....Had one of these as my first bike in the early 80's. I was a happy 12 year old!

Had a family reunion and a cousin rode it and broke the rear hub. Impossible to find a replacement so it sat for years until a collector saw it. Took it for $50 and I hope it ended up like this example.

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #269
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Not rare, but original in many aspects, precise and an explosive throttle.

achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #270
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,385
I know exactly where you took that picture. Lovely stretch there.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote