$23,000

Rickman Montesa $2750

Shell's Racer $9000

#11,500

'74 Z-1 A $9,500

$18,500

$11,000 ? Really ?

Bid to $7500 but, unsold.

Just got back from Vegas. The prices at Bonhoms were actually quite conservative, some nice deals IMO. The prices at Mid America were at the opposite end of the scale. We all have to sit back and look at the demographic changes that are happening, and affecting old collectable bike prices. The old 'belt drive' and 'total loss oil' machines that used to be quite lofty are now starting to get softer prices. Maybe it's because older guys who were into these things are starting to die?? All I know is, certain Japanese bikes, Triumphs and Nortons in particular and English bikes in general are really strong prices this year. And any machine with rarity, race pedrigree, and generally accepted good looks are going crazy. The 750SS I was expecting, but the 900SS at 29K?? RC30 at 28?? Velo Valiant at 7500?? Heck, Z50 Hondas are approaching 4K.
First time at both auctions. There's distinct styles between the two, and they compliment each other, Mid America with their sheer quantity and variety, Bonhams with their clean, smooth, efficient, proper auction style.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,645
it was my 1st time there also. I took a buncha pics, but as I just got home, Im tired, will post em later.
Bonhams was very 'british' it was actually a boring auction, they really did nothing to ignite a bidding frenzy on anything. no hollering, no fast talking.
I tried to get some parts, & bid on a couple bikes.
there was some NOS Indian WW2 parts. Among them was a set & a 1/2 of gas tanks. the set went for 600 bucks. then they sold the right side tank. Guy was asking 100, then 75. when he said 50, I thru my # up. he saw me, said Fifty! then BANG! sold! didnt even try for another bid. I was amazed, but happy.

At Mid-AM, they had a shitload of bikes. anything you can imagine. I was really wanting a Norton kneeler sidecar racer, and had planned to try for it, but then friday nite, I bought a bike in the parking lot, and blew my budget.
The Norton didnt meet reserve, & Im in touch with the guy, so whop knows, maybe later I will get it.

heres my parking lot score, a 44 chief

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 852
Doug....WAY to pretty for the likes of you!! Nice score...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
CafeRacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Here you guys go: http://becausegolfsucks.tumblr.com/p...mean-collector
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post
it was my 1st time there also. I took a buncha pics, but as I just got home, Im tired, will post em later.
Bonhams was very 'british' it was actually a boring auction, they really did nothing to ignite a bidding frenzy on anything. no hollering, no fast talking.
there was some NOS Indian WW2 parts. Among them was a set & a 1/2 of gas tanks. the set went for 600 bucks. then they sold the right side tank. Guy was asking 100, then 75. when he said 50, I thru my # up. he saw me, said Fifty! then BANG! sold! didnt even try for another bid. I was amazed, but happy.

At Mid-AM, they had a shitload of bikes. anything you can imagine. I was really wanting a Norton kneeler sidecar racer, and had planned to try for it, but then friday nite, I bought a bike in the parking lot, and blew my budget.
The Norton didnt meet reserve, & Im in touch with the guy, so whop knows, maybe later I will get it.

I guess if you are a seller, you'd like a bidding frenzy,,a buyer looks at that technique with the yellow 'no reserve' signs as a silly attempt to goat people who are perhaps a tad challenged in everyday tasks. Yes, bonhams was more subdued, but boring? I actually fell asleep during Mid America because of the quantity.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

well, maybe not 'boring' but not exciting either. and yes, Mid-Am was so big, it was hard to keep your attention, as so much was going on.

I liked both, had Mid-Am not been so far, I may have taken some bikes out there myself. They got good $ out of most of the bikes

Doug

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:

Nice Chief. Looks like you'll need to dig out your old "Fringe" Leather Jacket now.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

hahaha
the seat & those goofy grip tassles will come off asap.
I dont like the big seats, I'll put a solo on it.
I dont need the grip tassles to slap me on the arms as a warning when I am going too fast. Theres always a friendly policeman around to let me know that.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,957
Doug - I didn't see that Indian at either auction. Did it ever make it inside to be bid on?
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
Doug - I didn't see that Indian at either auction. Did it ever make it inside to be bid on?
Nope, got it in the parking lot :)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

$11,000 ? Really ?

roger that. those are great looking bikes but yes way too much money. I believe Honda kept selling them overseas for at least a few years I don't think they are all that rare and considering the Z1 went for less, it just don't make a lot of sense.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Sold for $205,000. Friday
nice but that thing must have some serious provenance to be getting up to that part of the stratosphere.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,285
Quote:
hahaha
the seat & those goofy grip tassles will come off asap.
I dont like the big seats, I'll put a solo on it.
I dont need the grip tassles to slap me on the arms as a warning when I am going too fast. Theres always a friendly policeman around to let me know that.

Dammit....Harleys, Indians and a hot chick! Life is good down South!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
CafeRacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
nice but that thing must have some serious provenance to be getting up to that part of the stratosphere.
I don't think it sold. It was sitting there on Saturday with an asking price of $240,000.

In terms of history, from the listing:

"From the Michael Lange collection, this bike is a factory built racer that was owned and raced by Dewy Simms from Peoria, Illinois. The bike was raced for exhibition at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1933 and was raced around the Midwest up until WWII. The bike was acquired by John Giorno from Kenosha, Wisconsin and was in his collection until 1988 when the seller purchased the bike from him. Since 1988 the seller has shown and raced this original paint bike with its original Firestone racing tires all over the United States.

It’s been raced at Davenport, Iowa and Wauseon, Ohio for many years and was raced at the Del Mar Mile in 2001 and took second place. In 2002 it was raced at the Syracuse New York Mile and took first place at 105 MPH. This bike is in as raced condition and runs great. The seller rebuilt the engine in 2004 and has only raced it once since. The bike is started at AMCA events whenever shown.

This bike is a piece of history and would be a great addition to any collection, this is the real deal."