Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
mwilliamshs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Dirt Noobs: Father&Son ride AR -> CO

Hi! Just putting thoughts on paper and I'll use this space to log my budget-minded trip planning. I'm 28 years old, going back to school to finish a BS in ME. 5'10", 200lbs, been on bikes since I was 15 (ok so it was a moped for a while). All my 2wheel time has been on pavement. But...
I started looking at replacing my Harley with a dual-sport for commuting to work and school and having fun on weekends camping and maybe GeoCaching. Had some experience with a buddy's KLR and thought I'd snag one for a grand and have fun going slowly.
But....
While shopping for that I found out about Yamaha's WR250R. Fuel injection (no choking warmups while late for class!), 6 useful speeds, power to run 80+mph, fully-adjustable suspension...me likey. Now I'm shopping for one of those. Gotta sell the Harley first. But...
Researching the WRR lead me to some RideReports of the TAT. Now I'm planning a 10day trip this summer from Little Rock, Arkansas to Trinidad, CO.
But...
Talked the trip over with Pops and now I'm planning a father/son trip. Dad is a 54 year old engineer, 5'11" weighs 190ish and has been on 2 wheels since the 60s. Hondas, Kawi's, Harleys, etc. all on pavement. We're both in good shape physically ("I can plow a field all day long") and I have no doubts in our combined mechanical abilities and we enjoy camping so these country boys can survive. I plan on riding a WR250R and we're shopping for a deal on either a KLR, KLX, XT or DRZ for dad, 225s, 250s and 400s...no 650s for this trip. Dad will most likely sell his bike shortly after returning from CO unless he falls in love with it and then it'll be a commute machine. We both work at hospitals and neither of us has a commute over about 15 minutes.

More to say but this is a good stopping point for today. Welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks for sharing in my excitement over this trip.

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 10:35 AM
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote