User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
WindSailor OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Switched power sources for powering other items

This has been brought up in other threads, but I wanted to hear your experiences and ideas on which circuit to use for a power source for relays, other items etc. and the issues or concerns using those circuits.

I have used the Green / Blue wire on the diagnostic plug to power my HyperLites controller (easy to get at etc.); but I found out through Robert that sometimes that is not a good idea. Here is a thread that shows it sometimes doesn't work - 06 R1200GS Battery Warning Light is ON... and to take JVB's suggestion seriously - "The blue/green wire on the diagnostic plug is fine for a signal voltage for something like a relay, but I wouldn't power anything off of it."

That is something I would have found out the hard way.

Any more suggestions, experiences?

Thanks to all.

Rick
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
never had a problem

I have a Centech AP-1 (harness by Eastern Beaver), and PIAA 1100X lights (with PIAA harness) both individually posi-tapped into the g/b diagnostic wire for switched power. I haven't had a problem - yet - using this method with my camhead or my old R1150R. YMMV.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
I have used the blue/green wire to signal relays on literally dozens of bikes, and seen well over a hundred done this way. Remember, "switched" power only. In the referenced thread the OP used the blue/green wire to actually power something, big difference. You use the B/G wire only for a switched voltage to a relay that actually turns on the power to an accessory.

See these:

Note that the trigger/signal wire goes to terminal 86. Power in to 30 and out to 87.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,824
How about powering the relay for your accessoies from the switched, protected accessory socket?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
How about powering the relay for your accessoies from the switched, protected accessory socket?
That works. However, it can leave your accessories on for up to 2 minutes after shutting off the bike. Furthermore, in a few cases such as some GPS chargers drawing a specific amount of power, it mimics the BMW charger and doesn't let the socket power down, which will kill the battery if you have lights connected to it.

Jim
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,391
Jim what can you do to add another brake light that goes on when the canbus light is triggered?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Jim what can you do to add another brake light that goes on when the canbus light is triggered?
Use the stock brake light wire as a trigger through a relay. If the extra brake light is LED, odds are even you can wire it directly to the stock one. It depends on draw.

Jim